Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 2:52:13 PM EDT
I have found a good deal on stripped Mega lowers.  I was wondering what the rules on organizing a group buy would be, and if there would be any interest?

They would be in the sub $100 range.

-CubDriver
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mega- (run away, run away)

err umm I mean- yeah
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Mega,  but Im weird  

just posted recent pics of it in the HTF pic thead today
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Mega- (run away, run away)

I am curious to your thoughts on running away from Mega.  From what I have seen (already have one, and seen several) they are outstanding quality, and workmanship.  From what I know about the machine shop that makes them, they are top notch.  They are an aerospace specialty shop and make parts for major manufacturers.  Lowers is something they do in their down time to keep the machines running.

-CubDriver
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Mega and would probably like another.

As for doing a group buy, they must be ok'd through the site staff. Petagunner is your first step.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
if there was a group buy and these were under 100 I would be interested in one or two two or three

question: Say I buy three of these could I expect only one FFL transfer fee + background, or a FFL charge for each one? What do most shops do when multiple items are transfered at once?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
We have tried this so many times its not funny.
Fact is that after shipping and transfers its just not worth the effort.

You cant get good enough deals to make it worth it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We have tried this so many times its not funny.
Fact is that after shipping and transfers its just not worth the effort.

You cant get good enough deals to make it worth it.

Agreed.

I've been searching the archive to find when noaim tried to do this.  He had a great price but as you said, after shipping and transfer (even multiple lowers/one tranfer fee) it wasn't worth the effort.  Seems you'd have to get the lowers for about 65-70 to make it a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
thats a drag. anyone seen mega lowers anywhere local? (edit: I still would like to hear more about this idea though if anything comes of it)
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats a drag. anyone seen mega lowers anywhere local? (edit: I still would like to hear more about this idea though if anything comes of it)

Look thru the EE. You can get a lower shipped to your dealer for around $100. Stripped lowers at the show run 125-145.

Sup Arms $100 shipped
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My dealer here sells Stag lowers for $120.  Add the $10 BG check/PITA fee and I'm out the door for about the same price as buying a Superior, shipping it here and then paying the PITA fee.

Not busting chops here.  For a group buy the price has to be very low to make it worthwhile.

ZM
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I think a group buy of lowers with a custom "Team Oregon" or whatever engraving on the magwell would work.  There'd have to be consensus on the brand of lower and on the logo.  I think a simple outline of the state of Oregon with "Team Oregon" inside would be nice.

As to group buys, first you need to ask permission from the home town moderator.  Then you need to get a list of people who are interested.  Then you need to get them to agree to whatever it is and ensure that they are actually going to participate.  Then permission must be given from the site itself to proceed with the actual GB.  Then you collect the money from the people who said they were interested or from anyone else who decides they want the GB item.  You need to collect the money from everyone and then place your order.  Then you get to hope that the vendor actually ships when they say they are going to ship and hope what they ship is in spec and that nothing else goes wrong.  Then you need to arrange pick up with the GB participants, although with a lower that would have to go through a dealer so it's not so bad.

There you go -- that's what's involved with leading a group buy.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think a group buy of lowers with a custom "Team Oregon" or whatever engraving on the magwell would work.  There'd have to be consensus on the brand of lower and on the logo.  I think a simple outline of the state of Oregon with "Team Oregon" inside would be nice.

As to group buys, first you need to ask permission from the home town moderator.  Then you need to get a list of people who are interested.  Then you need to get them to agree to whatever it is and ensure that they are actually going to participate.  Then permission must be given from the site itself to proceed with the actual GB.  Then you collect the money from the people who said they were interested or from anyone else who decides they want the GB item.  You need to collect the money from everyone and then place your order.  Then you get to hope that the vendor actually ships when they say they are going to ship and hope what they ship is in spec and that nothing else goes wrong.  Then you need to arrange pick up with the GB participants, although with a lower that would have to go through a dealer so it's not so bad.

It's lots of fun, you'll have a ball.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think a group buy of lowers with a custom "Team Oregon" or whatever engraving on

You obviously haven't done enough GB's then!!!!!

Pat
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Well if your around Corvallis, there is a guy in North Corvallis that runs a shop (Jim's Gun Shop) out of his garage and does $10 transfers.  He called Mega and quoted me $82 each, and then his $10 transfer fee.  I am not sure if that included shipping.  But at $82 a copy I don't think he is marking them up at all.  That price was also on me wanting one or two.

I was going to go over there on Monday and order two or three.

Mega does have a backlog of orders, and it may take a few months to get them.

-CubDriver.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Since it wasn't a get a quantity discount, just overall good deal, I posted the info so individuals can act on it.  Feel free to go give Jim a visit if you want.  Just tell him CubDriver sent you

-CubDriver
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
In the end just to much work for very little return.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Lowers are hard to come by now-a-days.

I have a bunch of people just looking for lowers...and there's not much that's not sold out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What happened to the GREASEGUN lowers that were suppose to be coming out?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What happened to the GREASEGUN lowers that were suppose to be coming out?

Still getting there. I think they're in final tooling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think a group buy of lowers with a custom "Team Oregon" or whatever engraving on

You obviously haven't done enough GB's then!!!!!

Pat

Just like marriage, once was enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top