Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
My brother is looking at selling a firearm to a local company.  I can't find anything specific about that in ORS 166.  Can anyone provide any pointers to state or federal code on private transfers to a corporation?  I'm pretty sure, in Oregon, that you are not required to do the background check since it is a private transfer.  But what if you wanted to do it?  Would any officer of the company work or would it have to be the particular person accepting the firearm?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoever shows up and pays for the handgun, I would do a background check on that person.

Otherwise, I think you're just asking for major headaches
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whoever shows up and pays for the handgun, I would do a background check on that person.

So you want to tell us how, as an individual, you do these background checks?

ETA: There is no requirement (in Oregon) to go any form of background check on a private sale, unless that sale is transacted at a gun show.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Need MUCH more info than that.

#1)  Is this an NFA xfer?  (Machinegun, Silencer, SBR, SBS, AOW)
If so,  it's a $200 Form 4 transfer, but the Corp doesn't need LE Sign-off.

#2)   If this is a NON-NFA, (Normal Pistol-Rifle),
and your brother is NOT an FFL,  the State of Oregon does NOT require anything.

#3)  If he IS an FFL, and this is a NON-NFA item, and this is NOT a Police Dept, someone would have to do a background check, and pay the $10 and call (800) 432-5059

Pat 07/02
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Would any officer of the company work or would it have to be the particular person accepting the firearm?

From looking at corporate-owned NFA issues (which may or may not apply here), I think any corporate officer would be acceptable.  But they have to be a corporate officer (president, VP, Treasurer), not like Ms. HR-Lady or something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you want to tell us how, as an individual, you do these background checks?

ETA: There is no requirement (in Oregon) to go any form of background check on a private sale, unless that sale is transacted at a gun show.

Prefaced by the fact I am in pain and not thinking clearly, do you really friekin think that is what I meant? Call the OSP firearms unit and have THEM do a BG check.

Not meaning to be hostile, just not feeling well

Edited: Please don't take personnally, just having a bad day and I apologize if my comments were inappropriate.

I know it probably is not required, but in the end I would at least feel pretty bad if something nasty happened and that firearms was used.

If they refuse to do the OSP BG check, that should send up all kinds of red flags IMHO
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have days like that too

If you call OSP and ask for a background check, I don't think they will run it for you.
They want their $$$.

They also don't want to give out the pass/fail info to just anyone who happens to call and ask about just anyone else.

If you don't feel good about a private sale, just do it via an FFL. I suspect that is what OSP will tell you to do.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep,
You can get a FREE Stolen Gun check from OSP at  (800) 432-5059
But to do the Background check you must be an FFL.

But I think we still need clarification from "Syphonius" as to WHAT is being sold, and to whom.

Pat

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a non-NFA transfer from a non-FFL individual to a non-FFL corporation.

And actually, non-FFLs can request a background check before a private transfer.  It is just not required.  See ORS 166.436.  That's why I was asking who would be the subject of the check.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top