Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:03 AM EDT
I'm planning on getting instruction and certification at my local club this fall (after daughters soccer season).  Anyone else SCUBA?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm certified but the last dozen dives have been warm water.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm certified but the last dozen dives have been warm water.  

Won't dive locally?  Drysuit?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a drysuit its just easier to dive in warm water.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it here in SoOre, but only in Oregon lakes and streams....  I learned SCUBA just so I could metal detect underwater.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Once certified, I'll try to dive any time I can....

Hey Z3BD, this look anything like you??

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Well now that you mention it I did just buy a gold mine....  I guess I'll need to look like that next summer....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I dive as well...

Diving off the Oregon coast is not bad.  It is always about 55 degrees, all year long.  So no worries about messing with your weight setup.

Depot Bay has some interesting stuff to see and it is easy to spear your limit of Sea Bass...  Even get a Lin Cod every once in a while.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I dive locally, used to do it A LOT, hope to start again. Great ocean charters out of Garabaldi and Brookings. Kill lots of ling, bass, rock scallops and clams. Barview jetty in Garabaldi is a good shore dive where you can harvest fish. Once you get certified, email me. I could probably help you get started, maybe make a couple of dives. Good luck, hope you enjoy it!! (PS-I use a wetsuit, always have. Less problems, less hassles)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I dive locally, used to do it A LOT, hope to start again. Great ocean charters out of Garabaldi and Brookings. Kill lots of ling, bass, rock scallops and clams. Barview jetty in Garabaldi is a good shore dive where you can harvest fish. Once you get certified, email me. I could probably help you get started, maybe make a couple of dives. Good luck, hope you enjoy it!! (PS-I use a wetsuit, always have. Less problems, less hassles)

Roger that!!!  And thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Sorry, thats all I got.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sorry, thats all I got.

I'd call that rapture of the deep
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I am certified, but don't dive in the Pacific NW where you have to dress up in 2" of neoprene to avoid the cold. I prefer diving in a T-shirt, or a 1/6" shorty wet-suit.

If you can afford it, I would suggest considering getting your way I did it:

Trip to Kona - find one of the smaller dive shops (I can recommend one), and get them to do the certification over a week.

I would go out on two trips per day along with a normal dive. The instructor would wait for them to leave, then we would spend time, one on one, in the water covering the basic stuff. Depending on how I was doing, there would usually be a bit of air left after we had finished whatever education/practice the instructor wanted to cover that day, and he would accompany me for the remaining few minutes exploring the area under the boat.

There was no time spent in a pool, it was all in the sea, and even during those first few training sessions, I got to spend some time just diving.

Note that this can only work with an instructor who has the time/willingness to do one-on-one training -- there is no way you could move a class out of the swiming pool and into the sea where you have several students to each instructor.

I had my certification in a week (well, actually 2, because the instructor suggested that since I had the time, it would be good to have some time off, because 2 dives per day when you are learing can get a bit intense).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top