Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 9:50:19 AM EDT
What is needed to shoot in the Tri-County Practical Rifle match?

Thinking I might be able to come to the next match on the 13th (this isn’t the pre-1945 match is it?)

What equipment do I need? How many mags? How much ammo? Can I use an SBR? And so on.

Any pointers for a noob?

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Equipment need:

-Flash bangs 1-2
-Dummy Claymores with 5-7 meters of trip wire
-Bayonet
-Rifle (with M203 launcher if available, not needed but helpful)
-Large knife (around lunch time is a staged "knife off", size matters)
-Camo (Only the newest issue Marpat is allowed and also East German)
-Small ATV for "Driving" stages, extra points if camo painted
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#2]
In all seriousness:

Needed(minimum):

-Automatic handgun, two mags, 10 rounds or higher, 20 pistol rounds minimum, no smaller then 9mm
-Simi-automatic rifle, 4 mags, 20 rounds or higher, 150 rounds in pack.
-Pistol Holster, hip prefered
-Pistol Case
-Rifle Case
-Clothing that can get dirty and has the ability to hold 2-3 extra mags
-Boots
-Lunch
-$15 cash
-Ear/Eye protection
-Chair if your a puss
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
SBR ok, Full auto's not ok.

This months match is pre-45, but can still shot AR's.

You'll need a sponser, and someone to let you in the gate.

I can sponser you if I go (I go every month, but might miss this one  )

Cape Hunter, tracker, unka-boo or one of the other great members here I'm sure would be able to give you a hand.  You can also send them or me an IM if you have more questions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
this next match is the 'classic battle rifle match' but that is OK, you can shoot an AR if you want.

You can shoot almost anything you want, just no full auto fire is allowed at the range.  There are usually one or two stages that have targets out to 250 yards...  use an SBR if you want.

No ss109 or other ammo with either a steel core or bi-metal jacket.  Too much damage toe the steel targets.

I usually bring 200 rounds just to be safe.  Since this is the classic battle rifle match, there will be a lower round count. I heard 60 - 80 thrown around.

You only need 2 or 3 good working mags.  some of the stages have mandatory re-loads.  I usually have 2 full mags and an empty one to load for a stage with an exact round count.

Knee pads are a good idea.  The matches are held in a gravel pit.

sun screen, a chair, and water are also a plus.

Other than that, come with a good attitude and try to have fun.  it isn't hyper competitive even though it is a competition.  Come and see how you do and then try to improve from there.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
NOOB POINTERS............

1. Come out and give it a shot, it's the most fun I have all month.

2. Do not give a hoot about your "performance".......yes you might just suck ass the first time out, no one cares.....we're out to have fun, not impress the masses with our l337 |20x0|2 $k1LLz.

3. as I am a puss..........bring a foldy-chair........standing on my day off sucks......

4. We will give you a hard time...........just don't cry about it like WS4LIF......

5. PLEASE COME PLAY WITH US,YOU WILL LIKEY

My offer still stands on my extra Mauser........if'n I get some more Swiss ammo in time!
1st person to beat me up can borrow it for the match..........
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
This sounds like a ton-o-fun!

And… I’d actually have a reason to own some of the gear I already have and an excuse to get more.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, thats the best part.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I sure hope I get to go again this month...    I havn't been since I got Tracker hooked...  

Yes...  Its like Crackcocain.  You will not be able to stop spending money and time just for these matches...   I never would have guessed I would have bought an ACOG, but I did.  

I need more "Top ten" certs...

Mark.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The August match is special.  Its a battle rifle match with all paper targets.  For this month only, you can shoot steel core ammo.  I guess this is because some of the older battle rifles can only get steel core ammo at a decent price.  All other matches steel core ammo is prohibited.  No handgun needed this month either.

Randy send out the stage descriptions for this month.  Did one of you guys keep it?  I deleted mine.

Hey, I bring a chair, but I hardly ever sit in it.  I remember last year when it was pouring down rain with 6 inches of mud, I put my stuff in the chair to keep it dry and out of the mud.  THREE more of you guys asked to put your rifle cases on top of mine!  Its better to have a wet case, than a case full of mud!

Can't wait for the December night shoot!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I sure hope I get to go again this month...    I havn't been since I got Tracker hooked...  

Yes...  Its like Crackcocain.  You will not be able to stop spending money and time just for these matches...   I never would have guessed I would have bought an ACOG, but I did.  

I need more "Top ten" certs...

Mark.

I can relate............I just bought a Kobra for the AK today...........doh........something I said I'd never do............oh well
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Bring an open mind.  Randy(match director) loves to throw a curve ball or two in each match.  

Some of my personal favorite curveballs were the mandatory gasmask stage and the hunting knife stage…  Good times.  I suspect one day we’ll have a gas chamber (al-la basic training) to pass though before a stage.  Then again some pepper spray would work…  Oh God, I hope Randy is not reading this.

Stun gun.

Did I just say stun gun?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]

I met this young guy at the range that just got his first AR15.  I invited him to a PR shoot, sponsored him, and watched as the Black Rifle fever took hold. Now he lives and breathes the Arfcomer lifestyle. He smells like gunpowder. AR parts litter the living room and hallways. He has dual computer monitors set to AR15.com so he won’t miss anything. He’s bored at work because they won’t let him design new infantry weapons. He sold his sports car and bought an SUV so he could haul all his guns to the range at the same time. He knows all the cool local gun and ammo dealers by their first name. He’s brought every member of his family out to shoot his ARs. I think he even checked granny out of the nursing home so she could bumpfire a few mags at the gravel pit. Do you know this guy?

Are you sure you want to do this? There is no backing out once you go. You might become like this too. It’s a disease I tell ya.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget a good cigar!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I met this young guy at the range that just got his first AR15.  I invited him to a PR shoot, sponsored him, and watched as the Black Rifle fever took hold. Now he lives and breathes the Arfcomer lifestyle. He smells like gunpowder. AR parts litter the living room and hallways. He has dual computer monitors set to AR15.com so he won’t miss anything. He’s bored at work because they won’t let him design new infantry weapons. He sold his sports car and bought an SUV so he could haul all his guns to the range at the same time. He knows all the cool local gun and ammo dealers by their first name. He’s brought every member of his family out to shoot his ARs. I think he even checked granny out of the nursing home so she could bumpfire a few mags at the gravel pit. Do you know this guy?

Are you sure you want to do this? There is no backing out once you go. You might become like this too. It’s a disease I tell ya.  

Hey, wasn't that you!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have been afflicted with BRD for years now; there’s no turning back at this point.

I’m just looking for other outlets.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
CH139,
I assure you you will have a good time! I have made it a perm part of my schedule. All matches are already on my calender and unless there is a funshow that weekend, meaning I have to work, then I wont miss one!

WS4LIF, you better show dammit! I want to check out that new garand of yours!!!

Besides, I was so looking forward to beating you and your garand with my trusty bolt gun!

See you all there....
hey, that remindes me, I need ot bump my "whatcha shotting" thread.
CH

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#17]
It doesn’t look like this is going to be the weekend for me.

I really appreciate all the pointers. I’ll schedule the next match for sure though and start getting worked up for it, sounds like a lot of fun.

Any of you guys take pictures during the match, I’d love to see what’s going on.

-Chris
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You want photos, I'll give ya photos

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It's even fun for dads!

Brought mine out for one, and he had a great time!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Your best post to date!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top