Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2020 9:58:42 AM EDT
Guys,

I was never a big fan of genealogy but last year a family member shared some research with me about our family. To make a really long story short, it hooked me, and last fall I tried to find some graves at a cemetery in Murray county. There's no record of its location anywhere online - just 'near X road near Y intersection just north of Z creek' sort of stuff. There are pictures of some of the stones, but the people who host them online don't remember where they came from. It's obvious that the cemetery is completely grown up.

We found the general area easily enough but didn't have time to go around asking for info or permission to tromp all over the countryside looking for the cemetery. But that's something I'd like to do at some time in the future.

So.....is anyone local to that area? familiar with area rural cemeteries?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't already contact these folks.  They may be able to help you.

Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Search on US GenWeb, they have a searchable index of cemeteries. Also Findagrave.com has a lot listed and some pics.

Here's a listing off GenWeb of a Hassler's cemetery. HERE
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

The cemetery I'm looking for is called Latch-Hembree. It just happens to be located, best I can tell, in the Hassler's Mill area.

I may call the county genealogy society and see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the description, there are only two houses in the area of the cemetery, so you may be able to just ask those two homeowners...

ETA:  The stretch of road it's on appears to be about 400 yards long, the house to the west appears to be a farm, the one to the east looks a little run down.  I'd advise doing it in the fall or winter, when the vegetation won't be as thick.

You might also try asking the people at the Cool Springs Baptist Church nearby, they have a Facebook page.
View Quote

It was fall - perfect weather - when we were through there last. October 31ish. But it was meant to be a short detour on the way to elsewhere (the inlaws live in north GA) and we didn't have time to figure it all out. Hopefully we'll be better prepared next time.

You're right about the two houses - one had a gate, the other was grown up and just looked like the sort of place I wasn't keen to just show up unannounced.

If all else fails I may send letters to the owners of those houses and just ask for info. Great idea about CSBC. I'll look up their FB page.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and here's a fun excerpt and one of the reasons I want to find the cemetery. This is from a page that lays out a TON of my early family history, put together by a distant relative in east Texas:

William and his family lived at the foot of one of the Murray County, Georgia mountians.  Around 1852, a disastrous drought hit that section of Georgia.  William went into the mountains to try to kill some wild meat.  He sensed that an animal was watching, and as he turned to look, a hugh bear sprang at him.  William had no time to grab his nearby gun for the bear was upon him.  He began to slash at the bear with his knife as the animal bit and clawed him.  For some time they fought.  Finally, both of them exhausted, they quit struggling and the bear limped away into the trees.  William, cut, scratched, and mauled, dragged himself down the mountain side to his home.  The men of the neighborhood went to the place of the fight and followed a trail of blood some 50 yards to where a hugh brown bear lay dead.  William died later that night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you find any in N Georgia named Jones or Cannon, I'm related to them. Especially Rabun County.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't already contact these folks.  They may be able to help you.

Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
View Quote

To update, I reached out to those folks. They forwarded the email to someone who knows the cemetery and knows a great deal of my family's history in the community, including a house that my distant relatives owned and several books written by distant relatives, and we have planned a visit for next month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top