Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2020 10:34:25 AM EDT

Edit: 4/6/2020 - Contact made with PTR - sending rifle in for inspection.

I posted this in the H&K subforum but wanted to crosspost here, sometimes I feel like I get more engagement out of the HTF than I do elsewhere... at least I used to the last time I was more active on this site.

Link to OP in H&K Subforum

OP:

Quoted:
I have FTFs every now and then where the bolt slams shut (partially) on a halfway fed round, usually disforming the case. It happens every now and then on the surplus aluminum 20s I have, while it happens all the time multiple times per magazine) on some steel 20s I just bought. The steel 20s were still in wrap and some in plastic, but all dried out with some corrosion/rust to varying degrees.

I am inclined to think that these issues are magazine related - I haven't really paid much attention to trying to track whether it is tied to specific mags yet but will label them to do so going forward.

That said, the steels for sure need some kind of remedy, they are rough and stick and don't feed as stated above. Is sand/bead blasting a good way to go here? Dremel? What else?
View Quote

I'd like to be able to use this rifle for feral swine and maybe run a class or two with a "heavy" but until this is resolved I do not have 100% trust in the rifle yet, and that's not useful.

Also - yes, I know mags are cheap and I could buy 30 and keep the best 10, don't worry I'll probably buy another batch soon because I have a problem like that... but I just like the idea of fixing them and making it a little more personal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have ejection issues also? I've got an ongoing issue with my mp5 clone where a mangled case gets stuck in the receiver so it can't feed the next round.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, no ejection issues. It throws the case into the next zip code.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, no ejection issues. It throws the case into the next zip code.
View Quote

My HK 93 does that. I was looking for the brass today and couldn't find it near my AR brass. I was looking about 25 yards too close.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I only ran into issues on my PTR-91 running suppressed. I swapped in a #17 locking piece and the problem was solved. I was getting bolt bounce and light primer strikes.
I have nothing but old surplus mags but they all run 100%. If you want a couple to try out I can let you borrow them and see. I have a few that are brand new but made in the 60’s and 70’s.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
What ammo are you using? Is it known good ammo? All the same or different kinds?

Is the rifle still under warranty?

I doubt it's mags since you have the issue with several different one exhibiting the problem.

I ve had four different hk, springsfields and pts. The only issue I ever had was with Cavim tar sealed ammo over 25 years ago.

Were it me, I'd see what ptr has to say first.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
What ammo ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only ran into issues on my PTR-91 running suppressed. I swapped in a #17 locking piece and the problem was solved. I was getting bolt bounce and light primer strikes.
I have nothing but old surplus mags but they all run 100%. If you want a couple to try out I can let you borrow them and see. I have a few that are brand new but made in the 60’s and 70’s.
View Quote

Thank you for the offer. I have probably a dozen or more mags I can use, most of which I haven't ever tried. Most of my shooting I think has probably been recycling the same 2-3 mags. For now, I need to try labeling the mags and going thru them to see if a trend emerges.

Quoted:
What ammo are you using? Is it known good ammo? All the same or different kinds? Mostly Federal 147gr brass cased FMJ, with a little Wolf/Tula sprinkled in. I also shot thru a fair amount of the ZQ1 stuff Wal Mart used to carry.

Is the rifle still under warranty? It was purchased new in 2014, so I am the original purchaser. Don't know if I filled out the warranty card or not, but their website says lifetime for original purchaser.

I doubt it's mags since you have the issue with several different one exhibiting the problem.

I ve had four different hk, springsfields and pts. The only issue I ever had was with Cavim tar sealed ammo over 25 years ago.

Were it me, I'd see what ptr has to say first.
View Quote

Quoted:
What ammo ?
View Quote

See above, mostly good stuff with some (maybe) underpowered stuff mixed in once or twice. No reloads, ever.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Imo it's a gun issue. Maybe the magwell is too long.

Can you see where the bolt head is contacting the case to strip a round?  If you can manage to snap a pic, I can compare it to my SAR3 and see if that's a contributing factor.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have made contact with PTR and am sending the rifle in for inspection. Will update as things progress.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that’s that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By coastal_shredder:
Update: the box showed up at a UPS terminal with a hole in it and no rifle to be found... so that’s that.
View Quote

Wow. That's not good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:

Wow. That's not good.
View Quote

My thoughts as well, as it turns out!

It was on it's way back, I don't know how it was packaged but if it was anything like the way I sent it out (in a case in a box and taped the ever loving f**k out of it) then this was unlikely to have been "normal handling damage"
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
This might be a blessing in disguise. It may take some time to resolve, but hopefully you took pictures and made a complaint with the carrier. Then ptr can address it under insurance and you should end up with a new rifle that has been checked out from the get go.

That sucks and is one of my fears with shipping. I often buy insurance even if it means I lose money on a sale just to k ow I have coverage for this kind of crap.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no sentimental attachment to the rifle I just hate the idea that it may have been stolen.

PTR is taking care off everything, they've been good so far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: UPS found it... how bout that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By coastal_shredder:
Update: UPS found it... how bout that.
View Quote

Where'd they find it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Where'd they find it.
View Quote

No idea, only heard that it was found. It is going back to PTR for inspection before returning home.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Where'd they find it.
View Quote

It fell into an employees car
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Problem gun showed back up. Not surprised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top