Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the trolls are real, though
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got two coming. KFricks and HFricks. They're trying to figure out how to sign up for Arf since they only have gmail accounts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got two coming. KFricks and HFricks. They're trying to figure out how to sign up for Arf since they only have gmail accounts.
View Quote
...When/if they figure it out, let me know....Our youngest wants to join up too but doesn't have an email account they'll accept (can't remember which one)....
..If he can, he want's to come take a swing at MOA....Maybe with his PSA 'starter AR' and factory 55 gr....

...I told him he could try with the 20" but he'd have to come wash my truck...every week...for the next year....
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Count me in + 2 hfricks, sfricks
By the way I am brand new to the group.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Count me in +1
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
kids are welcome...  They don't need an account here.  Just add them as a +1.

I've been off the grid for 4-5 days.  I am back briefly now.  I'll update as time permits.

Get ready!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in! I'm down for camping as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
roster up to date.  

Irma did a lot of damage in the area, but the range and camp are just fine.

2 weeks to go!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]
just like that, I'm out.  I have to work all day
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone ever try BH 69 or 77gr loads in the Stealth barrels? I don't think I'll have time to work up a load, so I was going to try some factory fodder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in. Possible +1
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
just like that, I'm out.  I have to work all day
View Quote
How about now?  Who do I need to call!?

Sorry you can't make it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in. Possible +1
View Quote
Great!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow... Less than a week away!!

I'll start sending directions tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How about now?  Who do I need to call!?

Sorry you can't make it.
View Quote
can you arrange for a college football game to be moved to a different weekend?  lol.  at least the OT is good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone ever try BH 69 or 77gr loads in the Stealth barrels? I don't think I'll have time to work up a load, so I was going to try some factory fodder.
View Quote
....I've got two Stealth barrels and one Ptar barrel that like Black Hills 69 gr.....The Stealths like the remanufactured and the Ptar likes the new run the most....With either reman or new, they all are sub MOA.....

ETA: ...Here is what the BH reman 69 gr. did last year  .83 MOA...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
....I've got two Stealth barrels and one Ptar barrel that like Black Hills 69 gr.....The Stealths like the remanufactured and the Ptar likes the new run the most....With either reman or new, they all are sub MOA.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to see if I can get some ordered.

That rifle of yours hammers! I guess the only question is who will get second place and whether or not they're shooting your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The rules for the rear bags are clear as mud. I typically use a

https://www.milehighshooting.com/tab-gear-str8-str8-laced-bag/

or

https://www.amazon.com/Wiebad-LLC-Mini-Range-Cube/dp/B017MGNDW6

Both of those are pretty popular in PRS. Are those kosher?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

or

View Quote
Discussion

Ask and find out. Those are both fairly large. I'd prefer to use my Armageddon gear small fatbag, but I think it's too large as well. It's smaller than the triad bag that was recently approved though.

My thoughts, which don't count for jack, as long as it's not a BR type bag with rabbit ears/V's, it's all good. If you get into all of the other details about bags, you might as well go iron man and shoot without a rear bag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That rifle of yours hammers! I guess the only question is who will get second place and whether or not they're shooting your rifle.
View Quote
...Thanks for saying so, but if the rifle is capable of better I don't think I am...Last year was a fluke for me and I haven't been able to get under .8 groups with it since, even with handloads....

...I still reserve the 'my beard got in the way' and 'I have a headcold' excuses.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Discussion

Ask and find out. Those are both fairly large. I'd prefer to use my Armageddon gear small fatbag, but I think it's too large as well. It's smaller than the triad bag that was recently approved though.

My thoughts, which don't count for jack, as long as it's not a BR type bag with rabbit ears/V's, it's all good. If you get into all of the other details about bags, you might as well go iron man and shoot without a rear bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

Discussion

It used to be clear on the bags.... small, and you had to actually squeeze it to support your rear stock.  Ears or "V" shaped are a no no.  

Lately it seems as though larger bags have been ok'd.  (I have not kept up with all the bags that have been ok'd)

The rear bag has to be under your control.  If you take your hand off of it, but leave your gun in place, you should not be on the target.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
gps coords have been emailed (check your arfcom email addy).

If you didn't get it, contact me.

If you have the navigational skills of the stereotypical 2LT... contact me.  

Only a few days left!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The rear bag has to be under your control.  If you take your hand off of it, but leave your gun in place, you should not be on the target.
View Quote
That's how it should be worded, imo. That makes more sense than the inconsistent way it's handled currently. Maybe add in a specific size limitation for volume, but to the point that it opens up several bag options. And I may be biased based on my previous interaction with the thread owner, and I admit that, but If I'm told a bag needs to be the size of a hand and the bags that I ask about meet that requirement but aren't allowed, yet a rear bag that's larger than the buttstock of a rifle is used and approved.....well, it'll lead me to have some questions about consistency and motives.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]
And I was worried I wouldn't have a good excuse worked up....

Time to clean up the 'ol Winchester 94 and see what it can muster.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/msA3YyQ.jpg

View Quote
Hornady one shot?

What rifle were you planning on shooting?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/msA3YyQ.jpg

View Quote

There will be plenty of capable guns there in case you want to try a loaner.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...Thanks for saying so, but if the rifle is capable of better I don't think I am...Last year was a fluke for me and I haven't been able to get under .8 groups with it since, even with handloads....

...I still reserve the 'my beard got in the way' and 'I have a headcold' excuses.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My gear is better than I am.  I still try though
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hornady one shot?

What rifle were you planning on shooting?
View Quote
Yup! Was at the bottom of the can and thought I was getting enough coverage, but I was obviously wrong. I'd loaned the die out to someone previously and when it was returned it started leaving faint scratches on cases. Guessing that minor buildup coupled with inadequate lube lead to my frustration tonight.

The rifles that I'm planning on bringing are just ones that I've cobbled together, minus granpa's 94'.

How about yourself? Anything cool and/or unique?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Only thing I've got a load working for is tikka ctr. I'm happy to offer some factory ammo or a set of dies if you need them. I have a little redundancy problem.

Imperial sizing wax is all I use anymore. It's light years more consistent that my experience with one shot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I appreciate the offer. I'll try to grab another set of dies this week and pull a service rifle load from the web.

Those Tikkas are known to shoot very well. I've never got to play with one, but some guys report sub half MOA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm completely unprepared for this but I'm coming anyway and I'm looking forward to it.

stickandrudder and I are staying to camp Saturday night.  We'll try to get there as early as we can Saturday and help in any way we can.  shityshot84 will be with us but not staying to camp.

I'm not sure what I'll bring, but I'll bring food to help with lunch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#32]
GAHunter - You bringing pig again this year?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
GAHunter - You bringing pig again this year?
View Quote
~16# of pork buts delivered to the range fridge today.  Along with a smoker.  And wood chips.  And several bottles of dillo dust.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
due to the power outage after irma... anything that was refrigerated and not a beverage, has been pitched.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Bringing a 32 bottle case of water, A few 2 liters, A FEW bags of chips and 2 boxes of Rice Crispy treats. See Ya'll SAT A.M.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Only thing I've got a load working for is tikka ctr.
View Quote
If you bring the RA Ultramatch, I should have 30 rds you can try. Pretty sure I've got my notes somewhere for my 18". Just been awhile since it's made it out from the safe.

Should have a few hundred Eley match .22 rounds that the rimfire crowd is welcome to use.

Also grabbing some waters, drinks, cups, snacks etc... If anyone has a spare 5 day cooler that they can bring, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got cole slaw, bbq sauce, utensils, etc to bring.

Aiming to get there around 9:00am.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you bring the RA Ultramatch, I should have 30 rds you can try. Pretty sure I've got my notes somewhere for my 18". Just been awhile since it's made it out from the safe.

Should have a few hundred Eley match .22 rounds that the rimfire crowd is welcome to use.

Also grabbing some waters, drinks, cups, snacks etc... If anyone has a spare 5 day cooler that they can bring, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote
I have a 5 day cooler that has a jacked up handle. I'll bring it (probably towards the afternoon though) with some ice and Homebrew for the campers. The cooler can end up wherever.

I bugged out all last weekend for a boys trip so I am threading the needle this weekend ;)
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Another successful MOA shoot!!!  Thanks again to GAH95 for hosting. If you're never leaving moms basement and attending any of these GAHTF events; you really are missing out. We're just a bunch of normal (mostly) guys and gals having a great time shooting and socializing. A very special thanks to LaRue Tactical for sponsoring and supplying the prizes.

@LaRue_Tactical
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Big thank you to Larue and all the htf guys that hosted and helped with the shoot.  Had fun shooting and is always good to hang out and talk with other members.   Already thinking about next year and getting a little more prepared for the next time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I appreciate and could see the massive amount of effort that goes into planning and having an event like this. I hope the contribution bucket covered your expenses and then some.

I had a great day overall.

I had some funny looks mid-day when I was dumping my uber tactical chassis for the factory tupperware stock. The ergonomics of the chassis are something that I had a hard time getting settled in with. One thing I messed up with was letting the barrel heat up and chambering my next shot to quickly. I think that caused my ammo to heat up, which made it erratic. I took a break and shot the last two groups at more even pace.

Huge thank you to Larue and all the HTF members working to keep it safe.

Here are my pics.

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
.....Another great GHTF get together with a bunch of great people.....A huge thank you to GaHunter for hosting again, LaRue Tactical for sponsoring and all the fine folk who make these shoots fun, safe, challenging and a joy.....

..... I'll second Regoat's comment above....If you're a GHTF member and never make it to one of these shoots, you don't know what you're missing....

....Congrats to all the small group shooters who make us all want to perfect our game for next year....

..Oh, and everyone remember to post your entries in the official MOA All Day thread as well....
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Rob.....you didn't get my good side in that pic!

Thanks to Gahunter95 and everyone that helped to make it a great event and LaRue for offering up prizes! This was my first time ever attempting something like this, and I'll echo Robs thoughts. The barrel heating up, specifically barrel mirage, can and will get you if you aren't careful.

Load#1 was a load that I'd been using and was my first attempt. I think my nerves got me as I had a thrown shot in most of the groups. Load #2 I had never used prior to yesterday outside of a group a few weeks back when trying to find a potential load for the upper node (tested 4 and picked that one). I think I'm close!

Second 260

Didn't get a pic at the range...but was fired using the same setup as posted above and had a SAS Reaper can on it. May not count in the official thread despite numerous witnesses. Not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, but I was pleased considering that the brass should have been annealed at least 3 firings ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the feedback.

I had a really good time as well.  The food was great and the competition was fun to watch.  A special thanks to RedGoat, SouthernCross, RolandD, Draconis and Meme for coming out early and staying late.  That group really did a lot of work for this.  I don't actually know who did all the work, but I know RedGoat was the foreman for Friday afternoon setup.  It was like magic.  I arrived at 1 am and the lawn was mowed, the chairs were out, shower setup, range setup, and a nice campfire was already going.  We made quick work of 3 pork butts, and had them on the smoker by ~145 am.  

I would also like to thank everyone who made / brought food.  Roland's 'should be famous' Brunswick stew, wisenhyzer's cole slaw, meme's baked beans, and somebody made big pan of potato salad (sorry... I don't remember who that was)  Oh yeah.... cookies, chips, sweet tea... it was all there.  Nobody went hungry!  

I am now home and am busy unpacking.  I'll write up an AAR and post it on p1 when I can.  I also need to figure out the new picture guidelines, as my Ipotato pics are too large to post from my phone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#46]
GAH95, you're the man!  Thanks again for hosting a great event!  Thank you to those who pitched in to help it go smoothly!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Trying to get images up. Will keep trying. Thanks again GAHUNTER95!! Had a great time as always!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Trying to get images up. Will keep trying. Thanks again GAHUNTER95!! Had a great time as always!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry I missed it Gahunter95 but it looks like you had plenty of good help.

I had a group of Cubscouts out camping and couldn’t back out on them but I’ll be there next year to embarrass myself again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top