Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 9:33:32 AM EDT
i'm looking really hard at suppressors now and want to take the plunge, i don't know much but have been reading reviews, it seems all the big brands have SOCOM contracts, or so they claim. what i would like is a can i can use on my SCAR heavy and SCAR light, i have personally seen the silencerco Omega and really like it, i like that it's a quick disconnect and has end caps you can change per caliber/rifle. what would you guys also suggest i look at, i'm not stuck on any certain brand, but would like to buy a quality can that will last and can be used on a 556 and 308 SCAR with quick detach capabilities.

are there certain brands to stay away from any and all suggestion are welcome, thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Liberty makes awesome cans, but I would only go that route for direct threads. In today's market I would go with sico or dead air. I love my saker 762. Shoot it on multiple guns. I like some of the griffin armament cans too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at mount availability, particularly if you want to use it on metric threads at some point. While they may list them, there are some folks that had to wait long periods of time  to get a 18x1 , FAL, or AK threaded mount.

I have a cyclone for my bolt rifles and a YHM indestructo can that I run on AKs, FALS, etc. The YHM is not as quiet or light, but its really solid and has larger openings than a precision can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a Dead Air Sandman S on my SCAR17CQC.  It is tough as nails, the size of a 556 can, and has the best QD mount in the industry in my opinion.  IT is not the quietest at the muzzle, but it is very good at the ear.  This is due to the lower back pressure, which also means less crap blown back in your face/gun.  Even though SCARs are piston, they still get a lot of gas in the face for some reason, even on the suppressed mode.

The Omega is another great option, as is the Griffin Recce 7.  The Omega is the lightest of the good QD 30 cal cans.  The Recce 7 is also very quiet and tough.

Those are the main 3 I would recommend for a semi auto QD 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to start all over again Griffin Recce 7.  Omega is a nice choice for versatility but I like the tapered mount on the griffin a little more.

But I'm still learning too....  
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
huge thank you for the input guys, i put my hands on an Omega, a Saker, Surefire and a AAC today. i got the bug bad, i'm selling a Daniel Defense/ Adams Arms middy rifle to fund this, so as soon as it sells, i'll be back to ask shamelessly ask for more advice. i looked at Griffin online today, nice stuff. the AAC was slightly loose on the QD brake, is that normal. my friend Scott in town was showing me all the suppressors they stock and that was the only one that seemed to be loose, the Saker was much heavier than the Omega, again thank you guys for all input
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Should be a lot of cans to try at the HTF shoot. I'm bringing a SF SOCOM 556RC, a SiCo Saker 7.62, AAC TiRant 9, SiCo Sparrow SS.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be a lot of cans to try at the HTF shoot. I'm bringing a SF SOCOM 556RC, a SiCo Saker 7.62, AAC TiRant 9, SiCo Sparrow SS.
View Quote

awesome
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I had to start all over again Griffin Recce 7.  Omega is a nice choice for versatility but I like the tapered mount on the griffin a little more.

View Quote

^This^

The Griffin is sweet. I like where their innovation is going. Still a small agile company with big heart and great ideas.

Silencerco is the big game in town and I really dig the Omega as it does everything really well and comes at a great price. For shat you want, this is hard to pass up for a first can.

The Dead Air stuff shows good promise and how can you not like Mike Pappas?

I'm done investing in AAC and lost interest in Surefire many years back when I grenaded their 5.56 can under very normal use and received very little assistance.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I had to start all over again ......

Griffin Recce 7.  Omega is a nice choice for versatility but I like the tapered mount on the griffin a little more.

View Quote

That's just it, though.  If you do all your research and invest all your money, by the time the stamp comes in technology has already moved past you.

Starting over is expensive!

I went with Saker 7.62's last year (the 5.56 K's are still in jail).  Like the can, but it's heavy.  Very shortly after ordering SiCo came out with the Omega and Specwar K lines.  Then Dead Air came out with the Sandman.  Then I saw Griffin at SHOT.  All lighter, quieter and sometimes available cheaper.  Starting over requires replacing 6 muzzle devices at a minimum.  It really is CLA$$ 3 stuff.

To the OP, do your research for what you need.  I'm low speed high drag.  I don't need a full auto SBR rated socom can.  I need something light, tough enough, and quiet so my wimpy arms can carry the thing hog hunting all night.  I bought more can than I needed for my purposes with the Saker.  Again, it's a great can and I like it, but there are cans out there that are better for my needs in today's market.  Just realize that after you buy something better will come along.

Jake at QRF and Rich at Cherokee have been outstanding and helping me build my collection.  GFL occasionally has a great deal on 22lr cans (right now they have a Surefire Ryder 22A for $299)  My wife doesn't like any of those places.

And once you start your suppressor collection, you won't like shooting unsuppressed at all.  22LR is a hoot!  The AAC Element II is my go to giggles can for impressing people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: If you do all your research and invest all your money, by the time the stamp comes in technology has already moved past you.
View Quote

True.

In my case, the .30 caliber suppressor I chose almost 10 years ago was updated & upgraded a couple years ago.
I run it on my .308. 7.62x39, and .223 rifles.

There will probably be new & improved baffles available in the future.
This ability to upgrade has saved me money, and room in my safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
i really appreciate all the input, my needs are pretty simple, i don't own anything full auto, probably never will . i really like the QD type brake mounts, that can share 2 calibers. i did some looking at Ops Inc and Griffin today, you guys are right there are A LOT of companies that have nice stuff. i'll keep digging and reading
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i really appreciate all the input, my needs are pretty simple, i don't own anything full auto, probably never will . i really like the QD type brake mounts, that can share 2 calibers. i did some looking at Ops Inc and Griffin today, you guys are right there are A LOT of companies that have nice stuff. i'll keep digging and reading
View Quote

You think you have the bug now?? Wait till that first stamp comes in. I just wanted a SBR.....well, got that, but whats the point without a suppressor? Why have that and not a machine gun? Well, the next stamp will be coming in a month or two from now, better get something else so I'm not wasting time....lol.

I got an AAC SDN762 and I've been happy with that on 5.56. Good luck, but know it wont be your last.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I did not have anything to sell to hack up funds. I went with a AAC 7.62sd I am going to pick it up this weekend. I will also bring it in September.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's just it, though.  If you do all your research and invest all your money, by the time the stamp comes in technology has already moved past you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had to start all over again ......

Griffin Recce 7.  Omega is a nice choice for versatility but I like the tapered mount on the griffin a little more.

Well I learned a while ago just because something is new and cool it doesn't mean that I need it. I can appreciate it from afar but don't have the need to own one of everything

To date I have been to the NFA dance 21 times, so I am kind of burned out.

Get a GREAT 7.62 and .22 can. Get a good 5.56 can. And a good .45 can.

Everything else is just gravy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
^This^

The Griffin is sweet. I like where their innovation is going. Still a small agile company with big heart and great ideas.

Silencerco is the big game in town and I really dig the Omega as it does everything really well and comes at a great price. For shat you want, this is hard to pass up for a first can.

I'm done investing in AAC and lost interest in Surefire many years back when I grenaded their 5.56 can under very normal use and received very little assistance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^This^

Guess they've come a long way since this, fairly surprising as the owner went on some douche tirade after this image of their can

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Buying an Omega for my DRD Tactical M762.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Guess they've come a long way since this, fairly surprising as the owner went on some douche tirade after this image of their can

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This^

They have come a long way since that for sure.  Right now I would put all of their cans against anyone else out there.  They are also incredibly nice people in general.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Only one I'd be sure to stay away from is AAC. Thry make great kit but their mounts and customer service has been nonexistent sense the buy out
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only one I'd be sure to stay away from is AAC. Thry make great kit but their mounts and customer service has been nonexistent sense the buy out
View Quote

Untrue. Maybe since the move.

When exactly do you think this so called "Buy Out" occurred? I'd love to hear your take on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When exactly do you think this so called "Buy Out" occurred? I'd love to hear your take on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reporting to class Mr. IKH and ready to be schooled.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been a few days past a month now and I am still waiting for two 51t mounts. First call to AAC I was told that they where out of stock because they where in the process of moving. The mounts where in stock when I ordered them.
I called yesterday and was told that because I used a rebate that Remington was having difficulties getting it processed.
Both csr's gave the impression that they could care less.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#23]
really looking forward to the shoot, i'll be checking out the suppressors as much as possible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It has been a few days past a month now and I am still waiting for two 51t mounts. First call to AAC I was told that they where out of stock because they where in the process of moving. The mounts where in stock when I ordered them.
I called yesterday and was told that because I used a rebate that Remington was having difficulties getting it processed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

your not the only one saying that about AAC
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Its been many years since my last "NFA dance" and I am still happy with my old Cyclone, Evo9 and M4-2000 from AAC.

Is anyone of the original AAC guys left since the buyout? What is Kevin up to now? Ron Silvers?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^

I've had an order for a ti-rant piston sense April that was listed as in stock on the site. Emailed about once a month and they kept telling me two or so weeks to ship or that they were still inventorying from the move and they haven't responded to any emails sense July.

I've got three of their suppressors and really like the product but if they won't support it then I won't either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#27]
So what are the odds of being able to purchase a 5/8"x24 fixed barrel adapter for my EVO9 from AAC at this point?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I love my AAC products! I've never seen the sloppy mounts of internet folklore. Mine are all very solid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like the issues above are related to the move.  The sale took place a long time ago...~4-5 yrs.

Quoted:
So what are the odds of being able to purchase a 5/8"x24 fixed barrel adapter for my EVO9 from AAC at this point?
View Quote

Are you using a rebate?  If not just get one online from a dealer or bulls eye in Lawrenceville likely has or can get you one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love my AAC products! I've never seen the sloppy mounts of internet folklore. Mine are all very solid.
View Quote

Oh man....I can promise you its not internet folklore.
I have 18T, 51T, and 90T cans with respective mounts.

All loosen under recoil and then POI shifts substantially.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just the operator!

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Something that I have been seeing a lot is people referring to "calling AAC" or "AAC said".
AAC is not a company any more. They do not have a physical location or employees. They are a brand. Much like Bushmaster or Marlin. They are brands owned and operated at Remington facilities by Remington employees as of about May. From 2009-May 2015 AAC operated as a micro site with their own employees at their own location with their own structure answering to Remington managers. The Lawrenceville facility was officially shut down in May and all production was moved to Huntsville, AL.
Any orders processed now or any reps that anyone speaks with are Remington employees. Those guys are selling Storm Lake, Tapco, DPMS, Remwipes etc. in addition to AAC.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As stated, you're not the only one. Some are saying this is one of the most epic bait and switches ever. Honestly it wasn't planned that way but sometimes it's not what it is, it's what it looks like. All I can recommend is to make lots and lots of noise. Suppressor section of AR15.com, Silencertalk, their Facebook page etc. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Quoted:
Its been many years since my last "NFA dance" and I am still happy with my old Cyclone, Evo9 and M4-2000 from AAC.

Is anyone of the original AAC guys left since the buyout? What is Kevin up to now? Ron Silvers?

Kevin is at Sig. and Rob Silvers still works for Remington.

Quoted:

Zero. There was talk of a fixed mount for the Tirant 45. Maybe they will do a piston for the TIrant 9/ Evo 9. But I wouldn't get my hopes up. But there has never been a factory made 5/8-24 mount made for AAC pistol silencers.

Quoted:
Sounds like the issues above are related to the move.  The sale took place a long time ago...~4-5 yrs.

Correct. Shutting down production and stocking parts offsite has not been a smooth transition even though they had over a year to prepare. And the purchase occurred in 2009. One of the best reads I have ever made on a plane was the 117 page Judge's final court decision located here.

Quoted:

As technology increases so will performance. Adding a tapered bearing surface like the new 90T Taper mounts or like the new Griffin and Sig cans utilize was built on the foundation of the 18T and 51T systems. WHile not a direct corollary think of the MPG efficiency of modern V6 and V8 engines compared to the ones 10 years ago. Those older engines weren't faulty, they were jsut not as efficient.
I have never owned an 18T silencer but have numerous 51T cans. They are suitable for battle rifles but are not and were never designed for maintaining a certain MOA. Allowing carbon to form on the mounts always seems to help, but does not always fix the issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
With all of this talk about suppressors, would there be any interest in setting up a demo day to have a wide variety of suppressors available? I've been discussing the idea with a class III dealer and he believes that we can line it up provided that we have a venue, as well as a reasonable crowd of interested ppl.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what i'm being told be guys that run suppressors around here, i saw one for myself this last Saturday at a local gun shop that has class 3 stuff
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With all of this talk about suppressors, would there be any interest in setting up a demo day to have a wide variety of suppressors available? I've been discussing the idea with a class III dealer and he believes that we can line it up provided that we have a venue, as well as a reasonable crowd of interested ppl.

View Quote

We have demo days about every month. About to have two more here shortly,
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
really looking forward to the shoot, i'll be checking out the suppressors as much as possible.
View Quote

you are more than welcome to try out my Specwar 7.62.

test drive as many as you can.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When, where, dealer and brands?

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Check the tacked threads. There is an ample supply of class 3 to play with.

Could always use more!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I looked at some of the new stuff today when I picked mine up at Cherokee. If I did it over again and I would without hesitation buy the Silencerco Omega. The Omega was short light versatile and claims to be very quiet for its size.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you, i was hoping i could see more suppressors, trying to soak up knowledge
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Are these demo days sponsored by a dealer or is it just members meeting up to shoot their gear and allow others to try it out? Once I obtain my GA DL I'll need a dealer to transfer a SAS barricade, reaper and sparrow. Maybe a TBAC Ultra 7 as well, but I haven't made up my mind yet on that one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I run a Dead Air Sandman S on my SCAR17CQC.  It is tough as nails, the size of a 556 can, and has the best QD mount in the industry in my opinion.  IT is not the quietest at the muzzle, but it is very good at the ear.  This is due to the lower back pressure, which also means less crap blown back in your face/gun.  Even though SCARs are piston, they still get a lot of gas in the face for some reason, even on the suppressed mode.

The Omega is another great option, as is the Griffin Recce 7.  The Omega is the lightest of the good QD 30 cal cans.  The Recce 7 is also very quiet and tough.

Those are the main 3 I would recommend for a semi auto QD 30 cal can.
View Quote

OP if you are anywhere near McDonough then stop in at QRF. They have a great selection and will not steer you wrong. I've never had a bad experience there and the staff will answer any and all your questions. They are actual shooters and end-product users in addition to selling the stuff. I've gone with an AAC TiRant .45 and Spectre II from them (picking up the Spectre II this week!).
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

OP if you are anywhere near McDonough then stop in at QRF. They have a great selection and will not steer you wrong. I've never had a bad experience there and the staff will answer any and all your questions. They are actual shooters and end-product users in addition to selling the stuff. I've gone with an AAC TiRant .45 and Spectre II from them (picking up the Spectre II this week!).
View Quote

Do not take this man's advice.

Every time I've gone into QRF, I've walked out about $2 grand lighter in the wallet.

Every. Single. Time.

It's all Jake's fault.

Hi, my name is Slowplay, and I'm a recovering stampaholic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

video i found testing 30 caliber suppressor, i like the head to head testing

i'm down to the griffin Recce7 or Omega at this point looking forward to seeing more options in person at the GaHTF shoot
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Every time I've gone into QRF, I've walked out about $2 grand lighter in the wallet.

Every. Single. Time.

It's all Jake's fault.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Single. Time.

It's all Jake's fault.

Same thing happens to me, and all I did was email him with a question
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

i'm down to the griffin Recce7 or Omega at this point looking forward to seeing more options in person at the GaHTF shoot
View Quote

I'm buying the recce7 within the next two months. Paperwork for my Gen3 Recce5 went in near the end of June...I cannot wait to get that in my hands!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm buying the recce7 within the next two months. Paperwork for my Gen3 Recce5 went in near the end of June...I cannot wait to get that in my hands!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

awesome, they have extremely good reviews. something i didn't consider until i e-mailed Griffin was that on some piston guns, the suppressor mounting brake will not allow the piston to come out and be serviced. they recommended the new SD30, it's the same gen3 baffles as the Recce7 with a different type mounting system. with the SD30 the flash hiders, comps, brakes are the normal size of the NATO A2 flash hider and the suppressor couples to that, they made it were the suppressor is multicaliber and will fit all their 556 to 308 muzzle devices.

i'm very much looking forward to the shoot, i appreciate everyone being so helpful and offering to let me test drive their suppressors, we have an awesome bunch here
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

awesome, they have extremely good reviews. something i didn't consider until i e-mailed Griffin was that on some piston guns, the suppressor mounting brake will not allow the piston to come out and be serviced. they recommended the new SD30, it's the same gen3 baffles as the Recce7 with a different type mounting system. with the SD30 the flash hiders, comps, brakes are the normal size of the NATO A2 flash hider and the suppressor couples to that, they made it were the suppressor is multicaliber and will fit all their 556 to 308 muzzle devices.

i'm very much looking forward to the shoot, i appreciate everyone being so helpful and offering to let me test drive their suppressors, we have an awesome bunch here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started a thread about that very problem. I took a dremel with a round griding stone to the end of my adams arms piston and all is well now. I just need to figure out how to blue it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top