Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:37:48 PM EDT
My 8 year old took the picture so sorry I didn't get the head. Is it a water snake or moccasin?

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
cotton mouth.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
In your best Australian accent..."danger, danger, danger"
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cotton mouth.
View Quote

This, and those suckers will come after you. Shotgun, shoot until empty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a moccasin to me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
cotton mouth.
View Quote

Doesn't look fat enough for a cotton mouth.  But, if it has a pattern, I stay away.

Flip it in the water, if it floats, it's a cotton mouth (water moccasin).  Besides all the other stuff, like an actual white mouth and bad attitude.

Everybody makes fun of a Taurus Judge, but I carry one doing rounds on the farm exactly for this scenario.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That's Mr. Moccasin to you !
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Pattern looks very moccasiny to me.  All the ones I have seen were shorter and fatter so I would not be 100% sure.  Here is an informative leaflet
Is it a moccasin?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
not enough pieces
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If it has the markings I shoot it, plain and simple. There are plenty out there. Just be damn careful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My 8 year old took the picture <snip>
View Quote

When I was 8 my folks would have kicked my ass if I had taken a camera that close to the lake. Then they would have kicked it again for for not killing that moccasin.

My how times have changed  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm.... at 8yo I would have probably watched it for a while.  I didn't have a camera or my trusty 20 gauge yet.    If I did have a camera, it would have taken a week or so to get the prints developed!

Cottonmouth / mocassin for sure!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#12]
It's tough to tell without seeing the head/eyes but it looks like a non-venomous water snake to me.  Cottonmouths are usually very compact or thick for their length.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I was 8 my folks would have kicked my ass if I had taken a camera that close to the lake. Then they would have kicked it again for for not killing that moccasin.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 8 years old I would have gotten my ass kicked for NOT killing it and bringing it home....

Times have changed!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea, I guess times have changed...We now have electronic devices that have cameras on them that fit in the palm of your hand...It is amazing  

I also dont kick my own child's ass.  I might discipline my child but I dont plan to ever KICK her butt   LOL

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
What area was this?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as the thickness of the snake, it's early in the year and they're still trying to catch up for a winter of not eating.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Large public boat landing on Lake Sinclair.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's tough to tell without seeing the head/eyes but it looks like a non-venomous water snake to me.  Cottonmouths are usually very compact or thick for their length.
View Quote

If it has "scales" like this(as in dragon like scales if you would), it's a viper. Non venomous snakes, for the most, have a scale pattern with more flat laying or smooth scales much thinner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If it has "scales" like this(as in dragon like scales if you would), it's a viper. Non venomous snakes, for the most, have a scale pattern with more flat laying or smooth scales much thinner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

water snakes have scales, non-venomous snakes below

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm

Northern Water Snake

Description: Northern watersnakes range in size from 24 to 55 in
(61-140 cm). They are fairly dark-colored snakes and may be brown, tan
or grayish. The coloration is much more vivid in young and wet
specimens. Their back and sides have a series of square blotches that
alternate and may merge to form bands. Their scales are keeled and the
anal plate is divided
. Adult females tend to be larger than adult males.
This species is often confused with the venomous cottonmouth (water
moccasin), but cottonmouths have bands instead of blotches and their
distribution is generally restricted to the Coastal Plain

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nertax.htm

Brown Water Snake

Description: Brown Watersnakes are large -- 30-60 in (76-152 cm)
–- fairly heavy-bodied semi-aquatic snakes. Coloration is generally
light to dark brown with large dark brown square blotches. One line of
square blotches runs down center of the dorsum and two other lines run
in alternating rows along the sides of the body. The belly is usually
light with brown splotches and black crescents. Like all natricine
watersnakes, brown watersnakes have strongly keeled scales; anal plate
divided; head visibly wider than neck, giving it a slightly triangular
appearance
. Brown watersnakes have narrower heads than other watersnakes
in our region. Additionally, the eyes are high on the head and close to
the tip of the nose. Females are much larger than males.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
The snake in the OP looks to me more like a either Midland, Northern or Brown Water Snake to me than it does a Cottonmouth.  It's hard to tell for sure without seeing the head.
The pattern on the snake looks 'broken' similar to water snakes whereas the pattern on a cottonmouth is more 'continuous' down the sides.  I'm talking about vertically from the top of it's back towards the belly.  Also, cottonmouths usually have a very thick body with a skinny tail at the very end.  
Cottonmouth Photos  

I'm not a herpetologist and I may be completely wrong.  I have known this guy for most of my life and I've learned a little bit about native snakes over the years.  I think non-venomous water snakes are constantly confused for actual cottonmouths.  They do look real similar and it's hard to tell, especially if you only get a glimpse of them or their moving.  Cottonmouths are mean, nasty, terrible snakes.  They're very defensive to the point of seeming aggressive.  I had a dog that was bitten 3 times by a cottonmouth once.  Luckily the dog lived.  I would kill a cottonmouth without hesitation in my yard.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I'm not an expert either by any means, just my opinion.  Lol. I just always caught every snake that I found that wasnt venomous and the one that were I killed and checked out. Always seemed the scales on vipers were more segmented and pointy shaped instead of more flat to the body like a black snake or python. Those pics above do look more segmented though, but yeah all snakes have scales.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Brown water snake and they are agressive bastards with a nasty attitude.

The snake appears darker in color because it's wet.

td
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah its a water snake. Sometimes its hard to tell, but based on its length, its old, and cottonmouths get really more fat than they are long.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Any snake in the water is automatically a moccasin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any snake in the water is automatically a moccasin.
View Quote

Lol. My stepdad says any snake that can't get away before he finds a weapon is a dead snake. Saw him put several 12g 00buck into a rat snake one day while swimming, had no idea why he was headed off the deck with a pump until it was too late.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

water snakes have scales, non-venomous snakes below

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm
Northern Water Snake
Description: Northern watersnakes range in size from 24 to 55 in (61-140 cm). They are fairly dark-colored snakes and may be brown, tan or grayish. The coloration is much more vivid in young and wet specimens. Their back and sides have a series of square blotches that alternate and may merge to form bands. Their scales are keeled and the anal plate is divided. Adult females tend to be larger than adult males. This species is often confused with the venomous cottonmouth (water moccasin), but cottonmouths have bands instead of blotches and their distribution is generally restricted to the Coastal Plain.
http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/pics/nersip3.jpg  http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/pics/nersip5.jpg

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nertax.htm
Brown Water Snake
Description: Brown Watersnakes are large -- 30-60 in (76-152 cm) –- fairly heavy-bodied semi-aquatic snakes. Coloration is generally light to dark brown with large dark brown square blotches. One line of square blotches runs down center of the dorsum and two other lines run in alternating rows along the sides of the body. The belly is usually light with brown splotches and black crescents. Like all natricine watersnakes, brown watersnakes have strongly keeled scales; anal plate divided; head visibly wider than neck, giving it a slightly triangular appearance. Brown watersnakes have narrower heads than other watersnakes in our region. Additionally, the eyes are high on the head and close to the tip of the nose. Females are much larger than males.
http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/pics/nertax1.jpg

Thanks for posting!!  I thought for sure a cotton mouth.  I didn't know much about the brown water snake, but I know more know!  Water snake!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top