Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:17:59 PM EDT
1.  What's the scoop on a 19 year old possessing a handgun in Georgia?  (Here in SC it's legal at 18).

2.  What are the laws on having a handgun in your car (such as in the console) without a carry permit?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
18 is the age here.  It can be anywhere in your car as long as your eligible to be issued a GA weapons license.(in other words,  not a felon, domestic violence conviction, insane, ect..)

ETA:   anything you need to know is summed up well right HERE
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
18 is the age here.  It can be anywhere in your car as long as your eligible to be issued a GA weapons license.(in other words,  not a felon, domestic violence conviction, insane, and 21 years of age..)

ETA:   anything you need to know is summed up well right HERE

AFAIK, you can transport at 18-20, but cannot have a loaded gun in the car until 21. IANAL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it could be loaded in the car as long as it wasn't concealed....no?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm...

I guess I'll check the link.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this answers my question:

If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun).

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think this answers my question:

If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun).

Thanks for the link.

That refers to carry, NOT keeping in a vehicle.

Please read through the first few paragraphs of OCGA 16-11-126 again. I highlighted section 'a' in red, as it is the section that applies you (unless you are military) . Please note that if refers to "your vehicle", not a parents vehicle that you are using, a friends vehicle or any other vehicle.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
The last time that I talked with the Probate Judge, we agreed that the weapon in the vehicle could not be stored/placed in such a way that it is "conceled" from the LEA in such a way that is not defined/expected.  Example: In the golve box, center console, purse, brief case, bag are places where the weapon would be expected to be placed when not in plain view or carried.  Under the seat, on the seat but covered by a newspaper or something, placed under your leg are places that may present problems if not declared.  This conversation was some time ago and may not be current.  However surprising LEA on a traffic stop or road check with a weapon is never smart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top