Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 6:14:56 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone that responded to my last posting about Atlanta but I have a few more questions.

Can I carry at the Atlanta Zoo?

How about Centennial Park (not attending a "public event")?

How about the Museum of Natural History?

Any Museums that I can't carry at?

Long shot:  How about on the CNN Tour (not my choice)?

Thank you,

CSP
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
doubtful at CNN....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I know they wand at the aquarium and concerts. I've never been wanded at Fernbank or the zoo. Don't know about CNN. Govt buildings are off limits so you may want to check out who owns the building.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know they wand at the aquarium and concerts. I've never been wanded at Fernbank or the zoo. Don't know about CNN. Govt buildings are off limits so you may want to check out who owns the building.

They WAND at the aquarium? I had no idea.  Damn, that is spooky.  I thought the aquarium was private.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The aquarium does not wand and had no metal detectors. They seemed to be on an honor system and did a very brief glance at the bags people had with them.  The Coca-Cola Museum had metal detectors and wands.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The aquarium does not wand and had no metal detectors. They seemed to be on an honor system and did a very brief glance at the bags people had with them.  The Coca-Cola Museum had metal detectors and wands.

Well wow.  I'm not quite sure what to say.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess what bugs me is that we have private entities pretending to be government while (completely unrelated) we have government pretending to be private entities.  Last summer I witnessed a Target "officer" (he even referred to himself as that) search a woman's bags.  She complied because she thought he was a cop.  He did everything just barely on the legal side of impersonating an officer.  Best Buy and Fry's act like you are out to get them even though you just dumped a bunch of money on them.  I just don't get why this is tolerated.  I'm about to not tolerate it ;)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I went in 2007 and they definitely wanded our whole party. My FIL had a 1-1/2" folding knife they found after wanding and confiscated it until we left. Maybe they've changed policy?

Googling "Georgia Aquarium Security Wand" search brings up several links confirming wanding.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Georgia Aquarium is uber anti gun. Yes they wand. Even my momma, God rest her soul.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been wanded at the Acquarium as well and had to leave my wife and kids standing there while I walked all the way back to the car to leave my pocket knife...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Well then, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to spot who isn't armed downtown!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya, just where you want to leave your gun, in a car in the middle of atlanta

Write those companies and ask them if you can carry, if not, in your letter note that you will not be attending if you cant In this economy I wonder who would let up some policies to get people in the door?
I have talked some people down on prices at some places like hotels (I never thought I could do that.) Lets see if we can talk some people into letting us in with our guns! Nothing talks louder than money
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess what bugs me is that we have private entities pretending to be government while (completely unrelated) we have government pretending to be private entities.  Last summer I witnessed a Target "officer" (he even referred to himself as that) search a woman's bags.  She complied because she thought he was a cop.  He did everything just barely on the legal side of impersonating an officer.  Best Buy and Fry's act like you are out to get them even though you just dumped a bunch of money on them.  I just don't get why this is tolerated.  I'm about to not tolerate it ;)

Although I don’t like it, a private company should have the right to basically do as they please as long as it is legal. If we don’t like it we have the right to take our business elsewhere. I think if I own a business I have the right to say that you can carry CCW, drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes inside or what ever I feel like allowing. Same as the other guy might feel like wanding people or looking in their bags. I am sure that if you don’t want to be wanded you can simply leave the property. I wouldent want to be wanded or searched but I respect that the business owner has the right to run his business as he sees fit. I have the right to tell him it sucks by spending my $$$ somewhere else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I don’t like it, a private company should have the right to basically do as they please as long as it is legal. If we don’t like it we have the right to take our business elsewhere. I think if I own a business I have the right to say that you can carry CCW, drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes inside or what ever I feel like allowing. Same as the other guy might feel like wanding people or looking in their bags. I am sure that if you don’t want to be wanded you can simply leave the property. I wouldent want to be wanded or searched but I respect that the business owner has the right to run his business as he sees fit. I have the right to tell him it sucks by spending my $$$ somewhere else.

Fair enough.  I agree, I was just surprised by the aquarium being that hardcore about it.  My previous rant was in reference to the private entities that pretend they are in a position of authority and scaring people.  Private property is private property.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fair enough.  I agree, I was just surprised by the aquarium being that hardcore about it.  My previous rant was in reference to the private entities that pretend they are in a position of authority and scaring people.  Private property is private property.

i'm not sure if it is not getting through, but the private property owner/manager IS in a position of Authority on the property.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BTW, you may want to familiarize yourself with the rights of shopkeepers (store personnel, Loss Prevention staff, etc.) in a retail sales business with regard to suspected shoplifting.

failure to understand this can escalate a situation quickly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm not sure if it is not getting through, but the private property owner/manager IS in a position of Authority on the property.

It doesn't need to get through, I get it!  I always have.  Yes, they are in a position of authority but it is mostly in a "get off my property" kind of way.  I just find it rude to search people that severely at a place like that.  What I meant by authority is making it look like they are a government authority without actually saying it.  This is a problem in retail as well and there are places I try not to go unless I am absolutely desperate for a particular part for a client right that minute.  I'm not going to the place if I can avoid it.  The whole aquarium thing surprised me, that is all
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. i get on some really bad rants myself some time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. i get on some really bad rants myself some time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top