BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:30:14 AM EDT
Explain the dfference/reasons for the SM base die vs the FL die...for .223

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that the small base die squeezes the base of the case smaller for more reliable feeding/extraction from a semi autos chamber. In several different semi's (HK91, M14, AR15, AR10), I've only ever used standard resizing dies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
SB overworks the brass. If you have a tight chamber you may need it a good indication is stuck cases. If you don't need it it wears out your brass quicker. That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Doug and Bill both hit the nail on the head. I don't really get the need for them, I've had several precision semi auto rifles with tighter chambers and haven't had a need for a Small Base die for any of them. A standard full length die works best, especially the bushing dies combined with a headspace case gauge for you calipers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top