Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:28 PM EDT
You guys are good at advice, so tell me...........I have a Glock 34, a S&W 1911PD, a Kimber Custom II and a Ruger GP-100.......I was looking at a S&W 22-4. Would you buy another handgun, or put the cash toward an EBR? I am getting mags and accessories for Christmas......what do you guys think?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Get both, it's the ARFCOM way.  

I'm saving my pennies for an EOThingy.  After that it'll be an M1 or an Enfield or an 03a3 or maybe a can...  

ETA: If you don't have a rifle yet and you're getting all the accessories, that might be your next best bet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunno about another one but I am happy with my S&W 1911PD, are you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, and please don't take this as too acerbic...I just never did understand threads like this!  I just can't fathom having to ask folks on an internet forum whether I should make a purchase or not.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you trying to accomplish with another pistol that your current ones won't do?

Without knowing, if it were me, I'd get a .22 so I shoot a lot with cheap ammo.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
There is NO such thing as owning too many firearms!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.............I was pondering a little more diversity in the collection, but I think I will stay with what I have. I do like my 1911 PD alot, as well as the Kimber. I was thinking about a .45 ACP revolver, and have looked at the Thunder Ranch ones for awhile...........but, the GP in .357 will more than likely do just as good a job for defense as the .45.........so, I guess more EBRs will be better
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I like to keep a well rounded armory for training purposes...  If anything, find a nice DA/SA gun for fun.  There are a lot of police trade ins like Berettas and Sigs at some ridiculously low prices.  If you don't like it, you don't have that much in it and you can always trade it on something else.  

PS... being a closet revolver guy, you can never have too many Smith revolvers laying around...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It's like tires on a car four is needed, but you need a spare or two or three.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, here's what I'd suggest.

Having had a GP100, which is a nice wheelgun, I'd sell it and replace it with an older S&W. I just like them better.

Then I'd look for a police trade in or good used Glock 17 or 19 that I could set up with a silencer like an Evo 9 ( Bookhound,do I get a commission?) . You could share mag's with your other Glock if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't disagree with you more Bookhound. I like variety in caliber manufacturer and design. I think each weapon system is like a specialty tool. I prefer my Dan Wesson in .41 mag for long range target work because of the heavy under barrel and long sight radius. However my 629 in .44 mag is better for hunting because of the lighter weight. Neither is a good carry gun because of the barrel length and a 4" fills that role nicely.

While I love my 1911, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. This brings in Kahr and J-Frames. And I ask would life really be worth living without a S&W 500 or Desert Eagle? Variety is the spice of life.

The right tool for the right job.

Same with calibers. There are advantages to .22 9mm .40S&W and .45acp. Not to mention the revolver calibers. Limiting yourself to just one caliber or platform is... well... just limiting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
.....If anything, find a nice DA/SA gun for fun.  There are a lot of police trade ins like Berettas and Sigs at some ridiculously low prices.  If you don't like it, you don't have that much in it and you can always trade it on something else.  

PS... being a closet revolver guy, you can never have too many Smith revolvers (or autos) laying around...

...Like a 4566.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Limiting yourself to just one caliber or platform is... well... just limiting.

and boring.... I've been bitten by the wheel gun bug lately. Any suggestions? I need something with light recoil due to a childhood injury to my right wrist.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

birdbarian, I've got a very slightly used 552 I just put up for sale in the EE in the AR parts section, since I was gonna sell it with a LaRue mount.  I think the mount is sold.  If you want the EOThing, you get first dibs for $300.

Mark

Mark, can you IM me your e-mail address?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and boring.... I've been bitten by the wheel gun bug lately. Any suggestions? I need something with light recoil due to a childhood injury to my right wrist.

Colt Detective special.

If you reload revolvers can shoot any recoil you want. If you can't because you're missing opposable thumbs or something equally astounding, I'd stick with short cases for less recoil. 9mm, 38 spl, 44 spl, 45 colt all good revolver rounds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt Detective special.

If you reload revolvers can shoot any recoil you want. If you can't because you're missing opposable thumbs or something equally astounding, I'd stick with short cases for less recoil. 9mm, 38 spl, 44 spl, 45 colt all good revolver rounds.

heh nope not missing my opposable thumbs. Just a very recoil sensitive wrist that gets tired very quickly when shooting .45 and above. Similar to carpal tunnel I guess.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I love a .44 mag with a 240 gn bullet at 800 fps. Works great and very low recoil. I use 231 Win for all my loads across the board.

OH OH ! It just came to me... Get Both! AR Pistol!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, thanks for all the replies..............one of the main reasons I am thinking along these lines is for some sort of commonality in ammo.........namely, I have 2 .45 autos and was thinking of another in the form of a revolver ( I still havent forgotten the 4566 Suppo). I agree that variety is nice and under normal circumstances is a good thing, with ammo prices being what they are, I am probably going to focus on 4 rifle calibers ( .308, 5.56,.30-06 and .22) and 3 handgun calibers (.45, 9mm and .357/.38)........I have already sold an AK, and will probably sell my AK-74 and the ammo and mags for it to concentrate on 5.56 and the others. That might sound crazy to some, but for me logistically it works..........having 3 EBR's that use m-16 mags and 5.56 is a good thing, and the handgun calibers stated above should be adequate  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For me, narrowing the caliber selection made sense.  I focus more on tactical shooting these days than collecting so I have narrowed my options to 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56mm, .308, and 12 gauge.  A typical indoor range session for me is 200 rounds working on handgun and a typical outdoor range session is 300 rounds of pistol and 300 rounds of carbine.  With that kind of expenditure, it makes financial and logistical sense to keep things simple.  The whole point of shooting that much is to get good with a chosen platform and it gets complicated and costly when utilizing too many platforms.  Like Mark, I also favor redundancy in weapons.  I have (or will have) identical training guns...primary and backup.  I also carry what I train with.  

In short, it really depends on what your needs are.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#22]
That's kinda what I am looking at as well........simple is good, and alot more economical

Quoted:
For me, narrowing the caliber selection made sense.  I focus more on tactical shooting these days than collecting so I have narrowed my options to 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56mm, .308, and 12 gauge.  A typical indoor range session for me is 200 rounds working on handgun and a typical outdoor range session is 300 rounds of pistol and 300 rounds of carbine.  With that kind of expenditure, it makes financial and logistical sense to keep things simple.  The whole point of shooting that much is to get good with a chosen platform and it gets complicated and costly when utilizing too many platforms.  Like Mark, I also favor redundancy in weapons.  I have (or will have) identical training guns...primary and backup.  I also carry what I train with.  

In short, it really depends on what your needs are.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

GAAAA!!! AR pistols are an abortion!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont think I want one of those either.........two AR-15 rifles is sufficient in that department, and soon as I sell the AK-74, the money is going toward either a Masada or SCAR, whenever they come out...........and it looks like my wife is gonna buy me a handgun for Christmas..........hmmm......

Quoted:

Quoted:

GAAAA!!! AR pistols are an abortion!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top