Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:27:42 AM EDT
I have an issue witha  professor and wanted some inside advice on how to resolve it.

ANyone??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
kill it with fire???

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my degree from there back in '98.  The feeling I got was that they couldn't give two craps about the students.  I let 'em talk to my 2 year old when they call begging for money.  

Talk to the Prof or go to the Dept. Head.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, what he just said...if you don't get satisfaction with the professor, go to the department head. They are used to resolving issues of various types. You may even want to tell the professor, politely, that you intend to discuss it with the department head.

In academia, if you play their game you'll usually get better results. Even if the professor is wrong, don't say it that way. Say that you were disappointed in the outcome, or that you thought it would be better to do things differently, suggest a solution - don't dwell on the problem, etc. You can still be assertive about what you need of course.

Or...my advice may be totally wrong for your situation  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Meeting with the Dept head tomorrow.

ill keep you guys informed. Basically its my last semester and 1 teacher isnt playing nice.. Ill keep you guys informed
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Explain.  I go to GA state and would like to know if I need to be looking out for someone in particular.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking about GA state or Georgia Southern?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
He must be talking about Georgia Southern,instead of Georgia College and State University(GCSU). I go to GCSU and I haven't had a bad teacher yet. However it is only my first semester so some bad apples are bound to be out there. The major complaint I've heard that some students cannot understand a few business teachers because of their heavy accent but that's about it. Most teachers will do everything in their power to help you because if they don't and a lot of students file a complaint,then that looks bad on the teacher.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He must be talking about Georgia Southern,instead of Georgia College and State University(GCSU). I go to GCSU and I haven't had a bad teacher yet. However it is only my first semester so some bad apples are bound to be out there. The major complaint I've heard that some students cannot understand a few business teachers because of their heavy accent but that's about it. Most teachers will do everything in their power to help you because if they don't and a lot of students file a complaint,then that looks bad on the teacher.

My accounting professor department head at GCSU was Dr. Dixie something or the other. She was the devil.

However, all of my other professors were pretty cool.  One or two were even gun enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I was lucky when I went through university.  Not one of my classes was taught by a T.A, nobody would stand for it due to how much we were paying for tuition.  I've heard it is a rampant practice in state colleges and the #1 complaint seems to be problems understanding the T.As.  As a parent, I'd be pissed at spending that much money and having my kid tell me they can't get anything out of the class because of it.

I paid for school myself and I'd change schools before I let my education suffer because of the use of T.As and not full professors, or because I couldn't understand a damn thing I was being 'taught' in the lectures.  That's just me, but I don't like to piss my money away.

If the professor is tenured, trying to get anything done about it is pretty much a waste of time, but those that aren't usually don't want to rock the boat too much with lots of complaints against them, so hopefully he is the latter and not the former.

Hopefully, you got your problem resolved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The teacher of my Business Communications class,Dr. Sarah Humphries,is a real trip. She's very unashamed to talk to about certain things,such as getting the most sex you can during college because it's what every guy supposedly wants. She even offers to go a restaurant you may be taking a date too and by looking at your date's body language,she will tell you if the person is interested in you or not. So far nobody has taken her up on her offer. Seems a little creepy if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The teacher of my Business Communications class,Dr. Sarah Humphries,is a real trip. She's very unashamed to talk to about certain things,such as getting the most sex you can during college because it's what every guy supposedly wants. She even offers to go a restaurant you may be taking a date too and by looking at your date's body language,she will tell you if the person is interested in you or not. So far nobody has taken her up on her offer. Seems a little creepy if you ask me.

Sounds pretty unprofessional and downright warped, to me.  What university do you attend?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
<snip>
If the professor is tenured, trying to get anything done about it is pretty much a waste of time, but those that aren't usually don't want to rock the boat too much with lots of complaints against them, so hopefully he is the latter and not the former.

Yes, except for certain instances.  Like, ummmm, sexual harassment.

Quoted:

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!

File a complaint!  WooHoo!

Of course, you'll always be 'that guy' who filed a sexual complaint....  Damn double standards....
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My reference to tenure was with regard to what was posted by the OP, which had no mention of sexual harrassment.

Even having said that, I'm sure there are lots of instances when that stuff gets swept under the carpet, especially with professors that bring in huge amounts of research money.  Sad, but it does happen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You should take her up on it.  Sounds like a nympho or at least someone with a creepy voyer fetish...who knows maybe you can hit it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should take her up on it.  Sounds like a nympho or at least someone with a creepy voyer fetish...who knows maybe you can hit it!

Which requires pics and/or video or it didn't happen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top