Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 3:07:12 AM EDT
My oldest daugher's laptop HD died. The bios does not see the drive and when you take the drive out and try to run as an external USB, it is not recognized.

Anyone have recovery software? Or have any ideas? She is sending the laptop to me. It has all of her teaching portfolio for graduating from college in December. Needless to say she is upset.

Graci
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I suggest Easy Recovery Pro. You should be able to find it if you look. It is a 30ish mb download.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I use R-Studio here at work.

You can also try Cherry Systems as an outside vendor if you can't pull the files yourself.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
On-Track software is good.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the failure.  If it's bearings you may be able to get one last spin out of it using the freezer trick.  If it's heads or some other electronics you're pretty much screwed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
the ? u need to ask is how valuable is the data to you?  from the symptoms its a hardware failure, recovery will costs between $2000-2500.  I backup religiously now, both ghost imaging and external backups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top