Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 7:24:14 PM EDT
Well, I passed my black belt testing tonight, and boy am I tired. Had to make a second attempt on my second board break, but no big problems. Got to spar with the lady who lives across the street from me (she was testing for her second degree) we basically beat the hell out of each other....was fun.

A few photos:

About to deliver a knee strike.

Setting up the reverse punch portion of my board breaks.

With the two instructors that I worked most with. Ms. Hughes(4th deg.) and Mr. Shearon(3rd deg) Newly minted 1st degree black belt me is in the middle.

I'm glad it is over. It only cost me a knee and 2.5 years

I think I'll take up something more age appropriate........like checkers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Congradulations!

I never made it, blew a hip and a knee trying to get past Blue belt kicks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
grats, Cletus.

now you need to start your neighborhood's chapter of the Guardian Angels...

I can't stop watching this video
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL.....

All I could start is a local chapter of half-crippled people with AR-15's. We would never be able to sneak up on anybody since we all have bottles of tylenol rattling around in our pockets

Tae Kwon Do is sure tough on the knees. I blew my left one out about a year ago, and of the instructors I mainly worked with, Ms. Hughes has has both knees reconstructed and Mr. Shearon has had one done. I personally saw 3 others do either knees or ankles in class. Some made it back, some didn't.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Getting back on track.

Congrats Cletus.

ARH

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Getting back on track.

Congrats Cletus.

ARH

Thank you!

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Well done!!!!!!

My son is in an mixed martial arts school at 2 years in he is up to his brown belt.  His mom & me are just up to our blue & green belts so far.  Some nights can be a bitch but getting that black belt will be as much teaching my son COMITMENT and me endurance to make it.

Sucking wind at 43 yo,

7mm
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well done!!!!!!

My son is in an mixed martial arts school at 2 years in he is up to his brown belt.  His mom & me are just up to our blue & green belts so far.  Some nights can be a bitch but getting that black belt will be as much teaching my son COMITMENT and me endurance to make it.

Sucking wind at 43 yo,

7mm

It is tougher to start at an older age. I started at 39. The younger adults and teenagers  just have so much more energy and wind.

Keep with it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Didnt mean to hijack your thread, I was just trying to point out one of the first things I learned in martial arts and every type of training I have had since then. If your hurt, you cant fight. Plain and simple.

I did mean to congratulate you on your black belt, Most people cant stick with anything for 2 years. And the self discipline you learned will help you out in all aspects of your life.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.

All the people I have seen get hurt were us older ( in their 40's) folks and it was usually a culmination of many years of problems with a particular joint. One of my good friends from class tore his shoulder up and had to have rotator cuff surgery, but he had injured the same shoulder years ago playing rugby when he was young.

I have had problems with my left knee since Army basic training when I wrenched it, and one night during a very physical sparring match, my ACL tore. I had seen doctors over the years for random swelling/pain in that knee on occasion, but no diagnostic tools were used on it other than an x-ray(which cannot tell you shit about a ligament injury).

When I injured it 20 something years ago, there were no MRI's or that stuff, so I don't know what damage was done internally to the joint, so it may have been a ticking time bomb.

I've never seen a kid get hurt in a class, they seem to be made of rubber or some other very durable substance.

Almost every injury happened during physical sparring, and some due to incidental contact.  It happens.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Start taking the Glucosamine and Chrondroitin!  I have been taking it for a couple months and a lot of my joint pains are starting to get better.  It is worth the try.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, at 29, I can see that I do not heal/recover as fast as I used to. I wouldnt want to do any full contact stuff anymore.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 36 & have been taking Bujinkan (Budo Taijutsu) for 9 years. I'm 3rd Dan working on 4th. One of the best things I have ever undertaken.

It's a little hard to keep on track with my family obligations, but I try.

Either you're training (in something), or you ain't.

Congrats & keep going! Ganbatte! Ninpo ikkan!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top