Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:55:34 AM EDT
Ok, with all the BS being handed out at the DNR  ranges [ plus the general lack of proper gun safety ] and my desire to shoot at longer than 80 yds I am going to have to actually pay money and join a club or go to a pay range.  Lets have some reviews of the various shooting ranges within ,say, 1.5 hours of El Buford

Thanks
rj
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I live in North Gwinnett and have been looking for a private club as well. There are 2 located in the general vicinity, but appear to have long waiting list.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
River Bend sounds too stuffy for me.  I like a bit of order but every now and then I like to pop off  some fast shots.  Plus they are pretty damn expensive.  

rj
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Worth every penny.  Have you been there?  You won't find any better facility around GA.  period.

Quoted:
River Bend sounds too stuffy for me.  I like a bit of order but every now and then I like to pop off  some fast shots.  Plus they are pretty damn expensive.  

rj

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I belong to Elberton Gun Club, which is an hours drive from my house in Snellville. They have a 400yd rifle range, a pistol range that you can set up as you wish and a large sporting clays/skeet facility. There's no RSO to hassle you (unless they are holding matches) and the ranges are run on the honor system. The rifle range has a reloading room right on the firing line that doubles as a warming room in the winter.
I've found that at most clubs, the class of people that go are different than Joe Blow who shows up at the DNR ranges. I think it's because guys that are actually willing to pay for membership show a different level of seriousness/maturity about shooting and therefore I haven't seen the major safety violations that I have at the DNR ranges. Of course, even if there is an RSO you should always be contientious of everything going on around you.

At $75 a year, it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
^
what he said about elberton
nice place.
the quarries are trick also
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I haven't been there and never would consider joining a range that imposed a "1 shot every 6 seconds" rule on the rifle range.  That is complete BS.  I don't care how nice the facilities look, how clean the bench areas are kept or anything else as long as stupid rules like that exist.

Full auto vs clean, modern toilets--here's the real dilemma.  I don't have selective fire weapon yet so I'd go for clean, modern toilets

Now if I had registered sear or can, that now is a different story and I feel for Bookhound.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Worth every penny.  Have you been there?  You won't find any better facility around GA.  period.

Quoted:

rj

I haven't been there and never would consider joining a range that imposed a "1 shot every 6 seconds" rule on the rifle range.  That is complete BS.  I don't care how nice the facilities look, how clean the bench areas are kept or anything else as long as stupid rules like that exist.

I'm a member of Pickens County Sportsman's Club for now, but that may very well change in the near future.  The Elmer Fudds want to give up our full-auto use in exchange for the land deed.  I actually do see their view of the issue, but it is still a compromise just to give the city council a false perception that the range is safer without full-auto fire.  If they offer up full-auto use as a sacrifice without at least offering some other alternatives 9like maybe a certification of sorts to show you can handle select-fire weapons in a safe manner) I’ll give up my membership.

I am once again looking for land to purchase for my own range use.

If you were not so far away I'd gladly offer my backyard to you. Heck I might fire up the tractor this weekend and extend the range to 150yards. Need to start getting firewood ready for next year so some trees have to come down anyways.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Before I got into the Camp Shooters Club in North GA I looked at going to River Bend. After I read the rules for RBGC I decided not to. From what I recall they really cater to the benchrest crowd and piss on the rest. With my bolt gun I fire strings less than 6 sec apart. That is the norm for a lot of the tactical matches now days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm honestly turned off from RBGC for all of the above.  Too much money to join and no point of actualy joining.  If you want to shoot in the matches they have you dont have to be a member anyway.  I like the multiple shot situation myself and I could care less about full-auto weapons, I want to shoot faster than 1 shot per 6 seconds.  Either way, I havent heard of a situation with an outdoor range that would be even remotely close to me (RBGC is the closest) that I want to spend the money to go to 1 to 4 times a year.

When one does come along that I like, I'll sign up.  Book, if you get some property to shoot at, I promise I wont hit your house and I also promise not to load up in the bathroom
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.................. I also promise not to load up in the bathroom

Hmmm, I smell a story.

Hey A-Train,

Did you sell the LDA to B&B in Roswell?

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The only experience I have with RBGC is the monthly 3-Gun Tac Matches.  That seem to be the only time you are allowed to shoot rapid fire.  I guess they lift the restrictions for Tactical Matches only.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only experience I have with RBGC is the monthly 3-Gun Tac Matches.  That seem to be the only time you are allowed to shoot rapid fire.  I guess they lift the restrictions for Tactical Matches only.

MadDog

If you were a member of RBGC, where the heck would you practice for the tactical matches?  I guess it would be time to buy those airsoft toys guns.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.................. I also promise not to load up in the bathroom

Hmmm, I smell a story.

Hey A-Train,

Did you sell the LDA to B&B in Roswell?

Accountant

Yeah man, I'm supprised they still have it too, that was WAY back in December that I did.  Had them check it out, give me a few bucks for it.  They claim theres NO issues with it.  

The only reason I did was because my laywer told me not to keep it once I got it back from APD.  He didnt want me to have it at all actualy.  So I dropped it at the first place I knew could look at it and sell it.  They bought it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I belong to Elberton Gun Club, which is an hours drive from my house in Snellville. They have a 400yd rifle range, a pistol range that you can set up as you wish and a large sporting clays/skeet facility. There's no RSO to hassle you (unless they are holding matches) and the ranges are run on the honor system. The rifle range has a reloading room right on the firing line that doubles as a warming room in the winter.
I've found that at most clubs, the class of people that go are different than Joe Blow who shows up at the DNR ranges. I think it's because guys that are actually willing to pay for membership show a different level of seriousness/maturity about shooting and therefore I haven't seen the major safety violations that I have at the DNR ranges. Of course, even if there is an RSO you should always be contientious of everything going on around you.

At $75 a year, it's worth it to me.

What direction (North, South, East or West) from Snellville is Elberton Gun Club? Any website link or anything with more info?

Thanks,
GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
It's east and here's a link

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn. I guess I'm lucky.

I've got a friend with a 500 yard range/bench/spotting scope/reloading shop who lets me shoot pretty much whenever I want. He worked up a batch of ammo for my hunting rifle that enabled me to take my only deer this year, at 350 yards with one shot (I previously could barely hit the side of a barn at 100).

Heck, if any of you are out in the Augusta/Warrenton area on the weekends and want to go out there, let me know and I'll try to make some time. I'm going Saturday, in fact. Taking the wifes best friend out for a little pistol shooting so she can get comfortable with her new .380

And, as far as full-auto is concerned, I honestly think he'd get a huge kick out of it. He wants me to score him some tannerite/instructions for home brewing it so we can blow stuff up. Great guy.

- Chuck
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Floyd County Wildlife Club-  West of Rome near the Alabama line.

I live here and it works for me- I am surprised by how far some members drive- several i have met from West, Northwest Atlanta area, one from fairburn area.  
Not the greatest but pretty good for the cost- 125/yr plus 25 for a rifle/pistol range pass (vs $2/visit).  Covered rifle benches with 50, 100, 200 and 300 target stands.  couple of pistol tables (covered as well) with target boards at 15 and 25 yards.  
trap, skeet, archery, etc too if you are into that
hunting, fishing, camping areas

quality of people @ range is usually pretty good although ocassional mullet-eer shows up, or someone with kids hasn't properly discussed and enforced safety with them enough.  Most people respond pretty well to constructive advice and offers like "use my spotting scope so i don't have to wait on your fat ass to waddle 200 yards down and back to sight in that deer rifle".  

Anyone wants to check it out, IM me and i'll be happy to set you up.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a member of South River Gun Club but, they don't allow full auto...

They allow .50 BMG and they have around 12 pistol pits, a bullseye pit, a 300 yd rifle range, and trap and skeet...

www.southrivergunclub.com
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I attend carbine classes in which we engage targets with multiple shots.  So, after these classes it is nice to practice shooting controlled pairs.  RBGC forbids me from doing this.  Why?  If I am controlling where my bullets impact how fast they get to the berm shouldn't matter.

Couldn't agree more.  It should not matter how fast you are pulling the trigger as long as you are hitting your target.  To be honest, I doubt very much any of the ROs I know at RBGC would give you much grief about accurate double-taps...I wouldn't.  The old man would, of course, but he yells at everyone.

To be honest, after going to the safety meetings the reasons behind the 1/6 rule aren't from things like practicing for 3-gun and such.  Heck the rulebook has an allowance for fast firing for folks practicing highpower rapids.  The problem is that management fears what kind of behavior would occur if they allowed fast firing being that there is some truly despicable behavior now.  The club has a difficult time policing all the ranges.  Even a full-time RO couldn't be everywhere at once.  Not to beat down Pickens, but that is a tiny complex by comparison, much easier to creep up on bad behavior and throw out the trash.  I get to fix a lot of what gets shot up at RBGC, and I am consistently amazed at what folks do.  

On a related note, if your intent is to practice for matches, I have found there is little benefit to firing extended strings (more than two shots).  I usually practice pick-up drills to 50yd targets standing (getting on target is the slow part, not staying there), shoot some slow fire standing at 100yd targets (sight alignment and trigger control always work), then practice mag drop/clear/load drills with single loaded mags.  Mag changes and jam clearing are the real bread and butter of winning matches.  Given a prop, most folks can hit anything on a 100-200yd range.  Throw in a type 3 MF and most folks melt into the grass.

I don't even practice much for the pistol matches anymore with live ammo, unless I change ammo or something on a gun, mostly I just dry fire the night before a match and practice holster presentation if it is USPSA.  Putting rounds downrange fast is fun, but beyond d-taps it's not much as far as training goes.

Someday though, we'll have an area where this type of practice will be allowed, though even then it may be monitored.  Would some of you join a club that allowed just what you're talking about "we hit the target, you leave us alone" even if it meant there was a RO present making sure you were safe?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Oh, again, not to bash Pickens, I just find it odd, if you were going to build a range and had a choice of a) in a valley b) on a mountainside, or c) on top of a mountain, which would you have chosen?

I mean peek over the berms at Pickens and it's "I can see for miles and miles"

No biggy, and I loved the FA day, just odd.

I bet you could pick up one of those 'houses' on the way in cheap!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#24]
South River is probably the best choice near Buford.  Very nice facility, I just wish it was closer to Gwinnett.  Only $75 to join and you don't need a sponser.  Dues are $300 a year.  

They have a nice rifle range and lots of action pits where you can shoot as fast as you want with rifle, shotgun or pistol.  True they don't allow full auto but very few ranges do.  Cherokee in Gainsville will allow pistol caliber full auto only and they have a very long waiting list.  If you would like more info email me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Before I got into the Camp Shooters Club in North GA I looked at going to River Bend. After I read the rules for RBGC I decided not to. From what I recall they really cater to the benchrest crowd and piss on the rest. With my bolt gun I fire strings less than 6 sec apart. That is the norm for a lot of the tactical matches now days.

Just visited Camp Shooters as guest a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed it.  I am unclear as to the yearly dues however, can you help clear them up for me?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just visited Camp Shooters as guest a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed it.  I am unclear as to the yearly dues however, can you help clear them up for me?

Thanks!

Where is Camp Shooters?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody know anything about this place? It is in Carrollton and the only place that is a reasonable drive for me.

/www.littlerivergunclub.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Up near Chatsworth.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I bet you could pick up one of those 'houses' on the way in cheap!

PCSC is built on/next a landfill.  Thus, that adjoining future subdivision, downhill, from PCSC may have difficutly when drilling for water.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
South River is probably the best choice near Buford.  Very nice facility, I just wish it was closer to Gwinnett.  Only $75 to join and you don't need a sponser.  Dues are $300 a year.  

They have a nice rifle range and lots of action pits where you can shoot as fast as you want with rifle, shotgun or pistol.  True they don't allow full auto but very few ranges do.  Cherokee in Gainsville will allow pistol caliber full auto only and they have a very long waiting list.  If you would like more info email me.

The worst thing about South River is that they have a horrible yellow jacket and wasp problem during the summer...

I wish they would take more steps to fight it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm a member of South River Gun Club but, they don't allow full auto...

They allow .50 BMG and they have around 12 pistol pits, a bullseye pit, a 300 yd rifle range, and trap and skeet...

www.southrivergunclub.com

A guy I work with contacted Southriver by email and told them that we had semi-auto 1919's we wanted to shoot there if we joined, and the reply he got was basically, those guns weren't welcome there.  Especially if you wanted to shoot rapid fire.  He sent two emails and got 3 replies, the rangemaster said ok if no rapid fire shooting, the presidennt said no, and the third he told me about said those guns weren't welcome.  A 40 lb gun mounted to a tripod is not the same as a ak being fired off of the hip.  I wonder how they slow the firing rates down for the competition shooters, a 45 auto has more muzzle climb than my 1919.
Overall it was a disappointing response.  At least we can shoot at Charlie Elliot.  I figured we could probably do a demonstration at Southriver to prove the "ugly evil guns" were safe, but any range you have to try to prove yourself to won't let you stay forever.  Especially if the public perception is the gun is somehow more dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#32]
the solution is easy  Griffin gun club !!! allows full auto and seems like nice guys . or I will let you shoot at my house if you help work on my backstop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top