Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 9:15:45 AM EDT
I was coming home from work last night around 11:30 PM.  The company's driveway is about a mile long and twists and turns through the woods.  I usually take it slow at night because there are a lot of deer.  It was raining pretty hard, so I wasn't worried very much about the deer.  I wasn't as vigilant as usual.  I saw a 'possum at the last second and just swerved to hit miss it.  

I can only remember killing one, and that was a long time ago down in Kingsland area.   Never got a 'dillo when I was down there.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in Georgia? None yet.

Back home in Louisiana? Too many to count.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
My first kill was on a dirt road. I ran over him with my 6,900 pound '72 Blazer. He wasn't dead, so I shot him with my P228... 13 times, and he still wasn't dead. So I backed over him and spun out on him. I figured he was dead after that.

Next, one was on the back porch and when I went out to shoo him away he hissed at me. BIG mistake. I found out just how lethal a 2x4 was that night. It looked like a horror movie on the back porch.

Once my dog had been let out to water the lawn, and I was waiting at the door, and saw her coming with something. When she got close ,I saw she was carrying a possum by the neck. It was paying dead. I made her drop it and get inside. I turned around and it was trotting down the driveway, so I let me dog back out, and as she jumped it, it rolled over dead again. So I let her play with it a bit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Back in the 70's I was deer hunting on some property down in Washington county. I was just really scouting in the late morning but still trying to be pretty quiet.  As I was easing along the next thing I know there is a possum in a small tree right at eye level !!!  I never saw it until I was within about 12" of the damn thing. Startled the crap out of me . I jumped about a foot  !!  I didn't kill it, didn't want to make the noise.

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nailed one in Roswell next to the park @ 6:30 a.m. Hit him doing 40 or so front driver side tire and rear driver side tire went right on through him. He was squished.

Couldn't avoid it without getting into an accident.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I took out a racoon while driving a rental car at about 60 mph.

If you are going to run down the center of the road.....well, one less stupid racoon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 Scotties and last fall the younger one [ who is the real hunter dog ] was out back doing her "I've got something right here" continuous bark and when I looked out she was barking and then jumping in and biting at something I couldn't see and then barking more. I get on some shoes and go look and it's a frigging possum playing possum.  

I finally get the dogs in the house and try to use a stick to get the thing over the fence but it ain't working so I go get the shovel. Lift the thing up and SAIL  it over the fence .  Lands with a big splat in the neighbors yard [ unfenced ]. I yell to let the dogs out. Bark bark bark here they come.  Possum had decided on plan B because the first one ain't workin. He gets up and HAULS ASS.  I didn't think a possum could move that fast. He looked like a jacked up 4X4 pickup.  It was pretty comical.

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I took one down with my air rifle before I had the night vision scope.    It was dark and I thought it was a hell of a rat.   Or a rat from hell.       If I knew it was a possum I would had let it go.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Last year I killed 15, this year none. We had them coming into the garage and tearing open food sacks and getting into the chicken coup. I believe our dog has solved my problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top