Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 5:02:43 PM EDT
Any good places for kits or raw ingredients?

I'd like to brew a batch of stout before it gets too warm out, then switch to cider and wheat beer as it gets warmer.

Also looking for cases of beer with returnable bottles (higher strength bottle compared to regular beer)  to start working on before my brew.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Brewing your own, always a good idea! Ive considered it many times.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
We have a resident brewmiester, dunno why he hasn't chimed in...

eta: He was last online on the 27th. That bastard!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Joe,

I can't remember exactly where it is located, but I think there is a shop on Roswell Rd between the Loop and 41..........or it might be in the Eastgate Shopping center, which is at the Loop and Lower Roswell Rd.

If I see it when I am out today, I will let you know.

behind Three-Fifty Pizza & Pasta on Roswell Rd. The name of the store is Marietta Home Brew.

Accountant
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
been thinking about doing this. but im most concerned with not being able to keep the temps correct over the two or 3 week period. also cooking the wort seems to be require a lot of heat...

anyways.. was looking into and found all kinds of interesting gear.. most interesting things where 'brew sculptures'...

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
It is not difficult, just do it.

As far as heat, where you at?  I know of a super high output burner "just made for beermaking"

I was thinking of cooking a batch today as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
An all stainless kit like that looks beautiful as well and produces beer! How could anyone say no???
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
been thinking about doing this. but im most concerned with not being able to keep the temps correct over the two or 3 week period. also cooking the wort seems to be require a lot of heat...

anyways.. was looking into and found all kinds of interesting gear.. most interesting things where 'brew sculptures'...

www.morebeer.com/images/sculptures9.jpg

That seems like some serious gear. I use food-grade 7 gallon plastic buckets for fermenting and cook up with two stainless steel pots so I don't need as big a burner.

If you're lagering you'll need a fridge otherwise I just use my office on the lower level.

The biggest issue is keeping your equipment sterile.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I might be able to get some old returnable Bud and LoneStar bottles. Let me check.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I might be able to get some old returnable Bud and LoneStar bottles. Let me check.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
An all stainless kit like that looks beautiful as well and produces beer! How could anyone say no???

the price.. several thousand dollars and start adding accesories it goes up up up. i know very little about brewing. supposedly people using 'sculptures' brew from scratch from grain (not even sure what that means). some sculptures and basically micro-brewery kit.

the gear on morebeer is interesting. check it out.

when i am concerned about temps i mean during the two week fermenting phase. temps in my house vary a bunch since when im not home i either let it get real hot or real cold depending on the time of year.  i understand that the yeast cultures are specific to temps and varying that can speed up or slow down the process.

anyway.. i will continue to look into it. one expensive but much less that a brew tree or scupture is a fermenting funnel.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ladies, ladies, ladies...

First off, Marietta HomeBrew is closed, last I heard.  Been closed over a year.

That said, I purchase all my homebrew supplies from Beer Necessities, located at the corner of Old Alabama and Nesbit Ferry in Roswell/Alpharetta.  It's also pretty damned convenient because it's a 2 minute drive down the road from where I live.  The guy that runs the place is named Bob, and Bob knows his shit.  The prices are good (buy often enough, and he'll put you on the "good customer" list to save some $$$), the selection is very nice, and if he doesn't have it, he can get it.  He carries both kits and raw ingredients to satisfy brewers of every level of competence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ladies, ladies, ladies...

First off, Marietta HomeBrew is closed, last I heard.  Been closed over a year.

Good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey the_reject, which of those brew sculptures do you use?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey the_reject, which of those brew sculptures do you use?!?

None of the above.  I use a 7 gallon stainless steel brewpot, a 5 gallon Gott cooler as my hot liquor tank, and a 10 gallon Gott cooler as my mash tun.  I've mashed up to 18 pounds of grain before, with a little room to spare.  I heat up my strike water and sparge water on a shitty electric stove, and then boil the wort on the same shitty electric stove.

JoeWang, I have a truly kickass porter recipe, if'n you are interested.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a place at 535 Indian Trail. Check your yellow pages-guy has been there a while.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is a place at 535 Indian Trail. Check your yellow pages-guy has been there a while.

Yeah, but the place in Lilburn has a hard time keeping fresh stock of anything around.  It's where I bought my first homebrew kit (and also the first and last time I've bought stale nasty liquid malt extract).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyway to make something similar to Hoegaarden?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anyway to make something similar to Hoegaarden?

Squeeze the piss out of a couple dozen rats?

Seriously, though, yes, it can be done.  I think one my homebrewing books probably has a clone recipe for it.

One of the positive aspects about homebrewing is that it is not uncommon for the brewer to try and imitate a particular beer, only to end up with something not quite the same, but perhaps tastier than the original in it's own right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Went in there Sunday after the gunshow, looked like the Morgue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The following Good Eats transcript might be a good read if you're interested in brewing your own. And Alton Brown happens to be a fellow Georgian
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Even Alton Brown is missing a few crucial steps.  That episode pissed me off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top