Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
Well, I am getting ready to leave an occupied state for a free one. The orders are done and I even have a report date. (As a civilian) there are a couple of questions though, if you can help it'd be appreciated.

I'll be in the Augusta area, where are the better places to shoot? What about Garand matches etc?

Are there any specific things I'll need to pay attention to? I'd like to get CCW and C&R out ASAP. Also are there any specific areas to think about for class 3, not for now but in the future. Is it easy/hard/impossible?

Sorry if this is loaded with "Duh!" or "Why would anyone ask that?" type questions. I've been in a place that doesn't tolerate the shooting sports very well.

In any event, I'm looking forward to getting to Georgia, and hopefully meeting a few of you on the range.

Thanks

Mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
CCW not a problem, GA is shall issue, and should take 90 days max to get your license.  You have to pay license app fee, and fingerprinting fee to the sherrif's office.  It's about $45-$50 for first time application.

C&R not a problem, just fill out your ATF forms, and get your C&R in the mail.

Class 3 is a little tricky at times, it depends on the sherriff of the county that you reside in.  In the ATL area, Hall county is no problem for anything, Gwinnett county though, as I understand it, if it's not a machine gun, pretty much forget getting the sherriff to sign off on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Im in Augusta I know a few ranges and stuffm, there are a few other augusta people here too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as living in Augusta, this presumes you are going to live on the GA side of the line.  The Sheriff's in the surrounding counties ought to be good to go as far as class 3.  
I don't know anything about South Carolina.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sturmgewehr often lists subgun matches at Ft. Gordon. Watch for those.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You will also want to attend the .50 caliber and Machinegun Shoots put on by the Fort Gordon Sportsmen's Club.  Next shoot is scheduled for March 6.  The last one was a real Blast href=Fort Gordon Sportsmen's Club
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
There are quite a few matches in and around Augusta. Check with Pinetucky Gun Club. 706 592-4230. Go to www.csrapistol.com. It has a list of local matches and results. There are Tactical rifle shoots over in SC at Carolina Star. When will you be here?
Scott
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses!

One other quick question, last time I was in Augusta there was a small gun show in a Guard Armory, Are  there any big shows in the area or look to Atlanta etc?

Thanks again

Mike

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

One other quick question, last time I was in Augusta there was a small gun show in a Guard Armory, Are  there any big shows in the area or look to Atlanta etc?

Thanks again

Mike

You're probably going to have to go to Atlanta for the big shows. While you're in Atlanta, go to some of the big gun stores. Also, Athens has a few neat places: Clydes Armory, Franklin's, and the Firing Lane (full-auto rentals).
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks again

Mike

Augusta gunshow normally sucks, but I go anyway there is a few deals to be found and I dont have nothing else better to do.

Real gunshows I go to Atlanta, usualy go to Eastman shows at North Atlanta Trade Center, since I know how to get there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top