Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 3:42:44 PM EDT
Poll inbound

The only reason I got into centerfire weapons & shotguns was for home defense after my kids were born. Prior to that I had some bows and a 22lr bolt action rifle for plinking.

I'm guessing most here have never been married and don't have kids. Having a family and any other hobbies (shooting, golf, etc.) is a struggle.

ETA: My ignorant assumption that most weren't married was based who I'd met at the shoots. Duh. Most people with families don't make many of the shoots.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not easy, but I try to balance. I take alot of shit from my shooting buddies. None of them have kids (that they know about).

I don't get to shoot as much as I like. FOP is always out of the question. Too damn far and too much of a time committment.

I do find time to get by ACM, Wolf Creek, and Hot Shots. I try to shoot at least 3-4 times a month. If I can just find a more local rifle range, I would be doing much better.

I am really looking forward to when the kids are a little older and can go shooting with me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a wife and 16 month old daughter.  Before my daughter, I shot 2 or 3 times a week and my wife would shoot once or twice.  Now I shoot once a week for a few hours first thing Saturday morning.

I have been an enthusiast for 12 years and it started when I got married:

1. AMT .380 backup (total crap but what did I know?)
then
2. Sig P230 .380 (wife - she hated this gun)
then
3. Sig P229 .357 (mine)
(lots of horse trading but the 229 was my primary for many years... wife started carrying a Sig P220)
then it started...
13.Mossberg 12ga
then
borrowed a budies AR (which he later sold to me)
borrowed a budies Marlin 1895G .45-70
borrowed a budies Rem700 LTR .308
14. Bushy AR (mentioned above)
15. sold Bushy and bought new Bushy
IDPA introduced 229 vs 1911, so...
16. 1911
hand surgery, both hands
17. traded 1911 for glock 9mm
hands recovered (we didn't know if they would)
18. traded glock for 1911
19. bought wife 1911 (she loves it)
sold almost all of the guns to help someone out of a jam (kept P220 and the his and hers 1911's)
20. (4.)homebrew AR
21. (5.)Marlin 1895G .45-70
22. (6.)Rem700 .308 + Leupy + Badger rings and base
23. (7.)homebrew AR
24. (8.)1911
25. (9.)lower waiting for parts

Sorry about the psuedo hijack.  I personally find it interesting to see what drives a person from one gun to the next (other than the quite normal desire to "buy both")...  Anyway, I though it would add value...

EDIT: I forgot to mention this was all true until the horrible boating accident yesterday!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, normaly I shoot about once a week.  Not because of the wife but because of work.  I'm in retail so I always work on the weekends and thats when it seems to be the best time to do stuff like that with everyone else.  I frequent ACM normaly ever monday or tuesday or both.  This week I didnt make it becuase some jackass decided he didnt want to stop when the rest of traffic did.  I was in front of said jackass.  

My wife doesnt mind guns, her best friend hates them.  She came over to the house the other day when I was just finished cleaning my AR and Sig and just about FREAKED..  Their from Brazil so owning guns like an AR to them would be considered Mafia or Military and dont understand why I do.  I love that.

I cant wait untill my wife gets back even though I'll be lucky to shoot twice a month.  But that comes with family life.  September I'll be in Brazil for almost the whole month and the thing that KILLS me about the situation is.  I'm going to a country that is about 60% to 70% more violent and crime stricken than it is here and I cant even carry my trusty P229 but I can just about anywhere here.  I asked the Brazilian consulate general when I applied for my visa if I could bring some heat.  He looked at me funny and thought I was joking.  I wasnt.   I personaly think its sad that other countries wont let their law abiding citizens carry which in turn would reduce crime.  Aspecialy in Rio De Janeiro.  You can be in the nicest hotel in the entire city and right behind is the worst GHETO you have ever seen in your life.  Not to mention LEO's there are about as bad as the criminals themselves.  Its so backwards and I will breath the biggest sigh of releaf once my wife and her son are back in the country where I know at least I have the means to protect them.

God bless America!

Anyway, thats my story.  Sorry if its long.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, but I already gave JoeWang too much personal info on the FOP trip to Bham...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, since everyone else is talking.. I am married, with no kids (yet).  But I'm young (23) so that's understandible.  I don't have a narrow uretha or anything .

No one in my family were ever enthusiasts or owned anything bigger than a .22.  My grandfather took me plinking with his pellet gun but that was about it.  My insatiable lust for the dark sport spawned from a healthy adolescent interest in World War II and Vietnam - and the rest, so they say, is history.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 The day it arrived she bought me a Sig SHR-970 in 7mm Mag.

Hey Bookhound,
I've got a SHR-970 in .308 w/ synth stock and a Leupold 3x9 Vari-x III. I love this rifle. Sad that they discontinued it. I wanted to get a couple more in different flavors. I know that you can change the calibers, but I want complete guns.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Married and Kid.

As a child guns were mainly for hunting.  Dad was a big 2nd amendment supporter.  Mom had firearm training.  Up until 7 years ago I thought there wasn't much point to having anything you couldn't use to hunt.  That definitely changed.  Some things are just fun to shoot.  Always liked military arms.  Built the first AR about 4 or 5 years ago and got back into shooting more often.  There is never enough time(or money) to do it all.

I'm just thankful for the times I get to do it.  Going to try and get into shooting more matches so maybe I can get a more regular shooting schedule.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Married.

Wife.

Two boys. (7&5)

Work too much.

Play too little.

That about covers it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Not married yet.

Funny that the first gun I fired was...a Tec-9, which my bro bought at the Eastman's right after the Clinton ban sunset
My first gun is Bulgarian AK-74

Since just about a year, the gun disease has corrupted my soul and consumed my body.  4 handguns, 1 carbine, 1 shotgun, 3 battle rifle kits, 5k of ammo.  I need total abstinence from guns
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Married, 2 kids (3 yo and 8 week old).  

Bought my first pistol (p95dc) a few months after 9/11.  Didn't know what to get, asked some friends and went shooting with them.  Both friends had Ruger Autos, so it seemed a safe and inexpensive way to go.  Carried that Ruger for about 3 years.  Decided I wanted a .40 went back and forth trying to decide between G23 and Sig 229.  Found a used 229 for a decent price, so I got it about 6 months ago.  

Bought the wife a S&W snubnose .38 Spc that is nice and small.  It's a good pocket gun too.

Wanted an HD shottie, something that I could aim w/o wearing my glasses if something should go bump in the night, so I bought a Remington 870 w/ 6 shot tube.  

Bought a Ruger 22/45 to help me work on my slow fire pistol skills.  Also .22 is dirt cheap to shoot!!

I'm saving my pennies for an evil black rifle.  The wife is not anti-gun, just anti-spending money on guns.  I have stashed about half of what I need to buy/build an M4gery flat top.  I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to build or buy.  I am leaning towards build since the knowledge would be great to have.  

That's my boring story.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Married With One kid and one on the way.

Liked guns all my life.  Started loving them at about 17.  The weekend after I turned 18 went to a fun show and bought my first AR.  Still have that one.  Have a wife who loves to shoot and a gun collection that is growing fast.  

ETA:

I did a lot of studying about rifles before I got my first one.  And I decided I wanted an AR.  And that is how I found this place.  This place is not for the easily tempted.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife and four kids (all girls).  

Work full time + some.

Being the only guy in a house full of womez isn't easy, but very worthwhile. It's amazing I get any time to go shooting.

Thankfully, my wife and 2nd oldest daughter are starting to enjoy shooting themselves.

ETA: I have been shooting since I was old enough to walk. Started like most shooting 22LR single shot bolt action. I conned my mom into buying me a Mini14 when I was 12. I (she) traded it in on an ARs when I was 13 (registered in my mom's name). Yes, my mom bought me an AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top