Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT
I am not talking about coon dogs, bird dogs, etc. I am talking about whacking fidos. WILD fidos.  

I was asked by a co-worker today if I would come up and help him get rid of some dogs that are hunting and killing his cows and other livestock. Supposedly they are wild dogs. I don't think for a second that he is setting me up to do something he wouldn't do himself, but............I did leave the conversation with a couple of questions.

My first question pertains to whether it is legal? I can just picture popping fido and then having someone  claim I killed their kids' pet.

Also, 'felony cruelity to animals' falls into the things to consider bucket.  

I am going to get more info tomorrow.

Thoughts?????  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about this,
Might ought to call the cleo in the county to see if there is an animal control dept.If no pound,then it may be open season on uncollared dogs.
A dog with a collar that isn't caught in the act is a sticky wicket,and the same should really apply to any stray that isn't caught in the act.
My .02,ymmv.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dunno about this,
Might ought to call the cleo in the county to see if there is an animal control dept.If no pound,then it may be open season on uncollared dogs.
A dog with a collar that isn't caught in the act is a sticky wicket,and the same should really apply to any stray that isn't caught in the act.
My .02,ymmv.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking to. A phone call is definately required.

Guess baiting them with some tannerite might be asking for some trouble.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dunno about this,
My .02,ymmv.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking to. A phone call is definately required.

Guess baiting them with some tannerite might be asking for some trouble.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are coyotes, no problem.  Just take some deer meat and lots of ammo.

"Dogs" are another matter, though.  Not only the CLEO, but you need to talk to the head of animal control for the county in question.  Has the owner filed a complaint with AC on the dogs?

Dogs caught in the act of chasing livestock are usually legitimate targets, but get that spelled out as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top