Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 7:53:34 AM EDT
If anyone is a member, how do you like it?  I currently go to South River Gun Club in Conyers and I love it. But I was wanting to find something that might be a little closer to home in Fulton County.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a member at River Bend. I would like it a lot more if there were not the 1 shot every 6 seconds rule on the rifle range. The facilities are great, and at some point I will get off of my ass and start shooting high power. If you want to check it out some time just let me know.

ARH

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of HighPower, I've got the schedule for the Ga State rifle team...beginning Feb 5 there's a match pretty much every weekend.  

There go my plans for hanging out at the lake.    
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If anyone is a member, how do you like it?  I currently go to South River Gun Club in Conyers and I love it. But I was wanting to find something that might be a little closer to home in Fulton County.

If you like shooting pistols in the pits at SRGC, you will HATE River Bend.  They are shotgun and rifle snobs up there IMHO.  You cannot shoot on the move or from a holster draw and someone has already pointed out the Nazi rules they have on the rifle range.  That place could be very nice if they would get the cork out of their asses.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys, thanks for your valuable input. That's disappointing to hear that they're so strict about their rules.  They have Action Pistol and Action Rifle events listed on their website so I'm not sure how they would host those events without allowing shooting on the move or double taps. That's too bad..
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys, thanks for your valuable input. That's disappointing to hear that they're so strict about their rules.  They have Action Pistol and Action Rifle events listed on their website so I'm not sure how they would host those events without allowing shooting on the move or double taps. That's too bad..

In competitions they allow it.  All other times it is strictly forbidden (or at least it was a year or so ago).
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you like shooting pistols in the pits at SRGC, you will HATE River Bend.  They are shotgun and rifle snobs up there IMHO.  You cannot shoot on the move or from a holster draw and someone has already pointed out the Nazi rules they have on the rifle range.  That place could be very nice if they would get the cork out of their asses.

I'm a member & I have to agree with BigDawg308.   I got reprimanded a couple months ago because I was firing my rifle every 4 seconds (he timed me) instead of every 6 seconds.  

Practicing for IDPA without drawing from the holster is also no fun.

Once after I pulled my targets down at the end of the day, I found out that I still had 2 rounds left in my box. I didn’t want to take the rounds home so I loaded up them up in a mag & fired them into the backstop (after the range went ‘hot’ again & at 6 sec interval).  I got chewed out for not firing at a target. I guess shooting dirt is considered destruction of club property.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Hello everyone.

I am also a member at RBGC, and I agree with much of what has been said here.
The rules at RBGC are very strict, and this has caused a disconnect between the members and the staff for many years.
I run the Action Pistol match, and we do move and fire.  If you are competent I will also allow you to draw from the holster during the competition, several members do this and I sometimes do it myself.  This is not allowed during unsupervised shooting unfortunately*.  You CAN shoot quickly on the pistol ranges, though you must shoot only from the tables if unsupervised.

The rifle range rules are problematic for many people.  I have been trying to get the timing rule changed to something more appropriate for some time.  Even the official rules allow a variance for the 6 second rule for shooters in a legitimate highpower rapid fire position and wearing a sling.  IMHO the rule should simply be that you need to not fire so fast that you are cross-firing or unable to keep your rounds on the target frame.

If you want to help change things, get involved and start coming to meetings and talking to the ROs.  Things can and will change but we need to rationally discuss these things instead of just complaining when we get caught breaking the rules.

If nothing else send me your complaints and I will add them to the list of things I would like to see changed if they make sense.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks Mark.

One nice thing is that there is an 'action shooting area' on the long range plan for RBGC.  It is not going to happen soon, but it will happen.  The guy who runs the action rifle event and I can't wait.  New ranges will bring new rules.

Does Pickens Co allow all that fun stuff with no RO present?  One of the reasons RBGC is so strict is that we don't have staff to monitor the ranges full time.  

And you're right, RBGC isn't really trying to get new members, so petitions and what not would not be effective.

peace
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you want to help change things, get involved and start coming to meetings and talking to the ROs.  Things can and will change but we need to rationally discuss these things instead of just complaining when we get caught breaking the rules.

stimpsonjcat,

I use to RO back when Billy M. ran the Action Pistol. Even designed many of the COF’s.

You’re right about complaining.  I keep saying to myself to stopping whining and get active in changing the rules or move on.  However, if someone is thinking about joining they need to know the attitude at the range to black rifles.

Unfortunately, I don’t think things will change much. Here’s one last whine that I’ll make which show the attitude at the club to “assault rifles.”  Before I fired a shot through my AR-15, the manager (late '90's) came up to me & stated, “Make sure you fire that rifle slow because it was designed to kill & this is a sportsman’s club.”

One constructive criticism on safety, muzzle discipline is getting bad on the rifle ranges.  I’ve had many barrels pointed my way lately.

I'll try to not to complain as much in the future.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately RBGC gets a lot of yahoos who want to shoot target frames, trees, rocks, and such.  This horrible behavior makes the powers that be cringe at the thought of letting folks shoot fast.  Personally I think they can behave just as badly shooting slow.  But the inability to find and remove these sorts is the primary reason the range rules are so strict.

I have personally chastized folks for unsafe gun handling, and even turned folks in for it if it was bad enough, but I don't slam folks for shooting a little quicker than the rules allow, as long as they are on target and safe.

[bob] Baby steps towards the elevator...[/bob]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top