BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 6:08:59 AM EDT
Says who?

I cannot find that info anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I would never ever show a cop my gun unless he asked to see it. Pulling that out right away will result in... well something bad. I would show him my permit though if I was packing. Pretty sure thats what the law says.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]

yeah it would!

But why show him/her at all? It isn't something they need to know when you go 10+ mph over the speed limit.

I'd really like to see that in the Ga. Code book, I cant find it anywhere.

If I aint gotta, I aint gonna.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Never mind, I figured it out.

The answer is NO!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Just from what I have heard...When cop asks for DL also give your CCL. It is supposedly attached to your 'record' when he runs your DL number in the computer. Would you rather the cop know and think you are hiding something?

Just wondering...

ByteTheBullet   (-:
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]
But why? It just isn't required and it has nothing to do with the violation I get pulled over for.

I'd rather not give them fuel to do what they *think is right and have them take my gun or follow me home or whatever.

I personally wont show it unless they asked, screw em.

btw, this is all hypothetical, nothing has happened to me. I'm kind of amazed that this has become 'law' to most people that don't bother to find out the truth.

What if: I get pulled over for running a stop sign. Cop runs my license and sees I have a CCW. Copper asks if I'm carrying. I am but I say no. Can he legally pull me out and search me?

Just testing the waters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What if: I get pulled over for running a stop sign. Cop runs my license and sees I have a CCW. Copper asks if I'm carrying. I am but I say no. Can he legally pull me out and search me?

I would think that no, he could not.  You have a permit.  The most he could do is bitch you out about how you should have shown him your CCW, or at least let him know.

Conversely, what if you get pulled over for running a stop sign, and you give him your license.  As he walks away, he catches a glimpse of a holster, or sees the gun tucked away in the glovebox when you get your registration.  You didn't provide him with your CCW card, so as far as he knows, you are some guy with a concealed weapon and no permit.  Make your own slippery slope and find out where this could possibly lead.

Personally, if I get pulled over for a moving traffic violation, and I can't talk my way out of it and the cop's asking for my driver's license and registration, he's getting my CCW card as well, whether he asked for it or not.

By providing my CCW card, if he asks if I have a weapon or not, I can say to him that it does not matter since I have a valid permit that he himself has seen.  However, if the guy isn't a dick, this question shouldn't even come up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Byte and the_reject are correct.  Actually, so are you gilfrd.  You aren't required to show it.  However, several LEO friends of mine say if you get pulled over, do the following:

1. Don't make any moves, like tucking things under the seat or in the glove box.  The cop will see the movement and be suspicious.

2. If it's dark out, turn the dome light on.

3. Keep your hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see.

4. When asked for a drivers license, hand the CCW card to the officer with your license.  You don't have to inform the officer what you're carrying or where, but hand over the card.  He'll find out soon anyway.

Do what you want within the limits of the law.  But, going out of your way a little to help put the officer at ease isn't a bad thing.  They have a tough enough job as it is.  A few of my LEO buddies say they still get nervous with every traffic stop.

Oh yea, if it's P806 or GAcop that stops you, just give them the finger.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no law on the Ga. books that say you have to.  You don't really need a permit to carry a firearm in your vehicle anyhow.  That being said, when I use to work traffic and I saw a weapon, whether on the seat, holster, or in the glove box I always told the occupants not to do anything goofy.  I never asked for a permit, but a lot of people told me they had one and where the pistol was.

Hey, this is Ga. there's a gun in about 75% of all cars.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We need pics of these two jokers so we can at least recognize them when if we get stopped. I know GAcop has wimped out on a couple shoots. Have I met P806? I could check my photo archive and make a 'GA cops' deck of cards or sumthin'.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Goofy bastard, P806 is Dennis.  He's the FAL nut.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Goofy bastard, P806 is Dennis.  He's the FAL nut.  

Excuse me sir, that's ARnut also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, D.  Didn't mean to piss off your nuts.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just shoot first and ask questions later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top