Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 3:56:47 PM EDT
if anyone is interested in showing up.  Donny and I will be at the Cracker Barrel about 9 a.m. and then the range about 10 or 10:30.  I finished my AR build this weekend (thanks, Mark!) so I've got the itch to zero this thang.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Darn, I need to go, but the warden has me on  double secret on-sight home probation and I can't come.  Soon tho.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys have fun- It wasn't too crowded on Saturday. We got there at about 10:30 and got a bench on the rifle side without problems.

I don't know if you're still working on the lightweight FAL project, but if you're looking at saving every last ounce, the aluminum FAL mags feel like they weigh half as much (or less) as the steel mags.

Ya'll have fun.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know if you're still working on the lightweight FAL project, but if you're looking at saving every last ounce, the aluminum FAL mags feel like they weigh half as much (or less) as the steel mags.

Already got 'em, my friend.  

My FAL weighs in at about 7.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Bueno- very impressive on the weight.
What parts did you wind up swapping out in the end, and what did you do with them?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bueno- very impressive on the weight.
What parts did you wind up swapping out in the end, and what did you do with them?
-Hobbit

I swapped the STG furniture for Israeli furniture (the Izzy stuff is a tad heavier, but effectively kills barrel heat issues).  I swapped the lower receiver, top cover and triggerguard for aluminum components.  And finally, I'm using alloy mags.

I sold the STG furniture, but I'm going to hang onto the STG steel components for the time being.

I also replaced the rear sight with a VOW Para-style sight with A2 aperture.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top