Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2021 2:56:37 PM EDT
My wife and I are thinking of moving to NC.  Does it look like the requirement to have the sheriff give you his blessing to buy a pistol will go away?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife and I are thinking of moving to NC.  Does it look like the requirement to have the sheriff give you his blessing to buy a pistol will go away?
View Quote

Hard to say but if you move here and get your Concealed Handgun permit you are exempt from both the pistol permit from the sheriff and NICs background check
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt it

Money is involved, democrat sheriffs

Control and politics

I hope, I wish but I won't hold my breath

Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly the North Carolina Sheriffs association is supporting it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

gave me some hope when i saw that but we know what cooper will do. wish mark robinson was our gov instead of just Lt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

gave me some hope when i saw that but we know what cooper will do. wish mark robinson was our gov instead of just Lt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next hop for Mark... Cooper will be dragged to the finish line like his senator hopefull was.. last.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Passed the house. Hopefully passes senate. But that commie will probably vetoe it eventhough  everyone is supporting it including the sheriff's. We need to get rid of Thad ancient bs as it gives the damn sheriff's too much power. My local sheriff is refusing to give vets permits.i have no criminal history. Bass background checks. Passed in other counties, Passed ccw in other states, Passed nfa checks and to clearance but he won't give me one because lived at a veterans quarters.  I'm having to hire an attorney to take him to court.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I recall a long time ago the permits were issued by the clerk of court. The one
in Moore County was anti gun and stingy with them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Passed the house. Hopefully passes senate. But that commie will probably vetoe it eventhough  everyone is supporting it including the sheriff's. We need to get rid of Thad ancient bs as it gives the damn sheriff's too much power. My local sheriff is refusing to give vets permits.i have no criminal history. Bass background checks. Passed in other counties, Passed ccw in other states, Passed nfa checks and to clearance but he won't give me one because lived at a veterans quarters.  I'm having to hire an attorney to take him to court.
View Quote

Try see another county sheriff and cite for "collection purposes" as listed in the law.

CD
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Try see another county sheriff and cite for "collection purposes" as listed in the law.

CD
View Quote

So I should go to a different county? Thought we had to use the county we currently lived in
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
@tarheel7734

2. North Carolina Requirements

A county sheriff is only authorized under N.C. Gen. Stat.§14-402 to issue a permit to receive or purchase a handgun when an application is submitted by a person who is a resident of his/her particular county. The sole exception is that the sheriff may issue a permit to a non-resident when the purpose of the permit is for collecting.

page 7

NC firearms law

Never needed to try that however.  Reading that you may try a different county where you are then a non resident of that county.  Pick a county with a gun friendly Sheriff.  Key word however is MAY.

CD
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What county?
View Quote
This

Never heard of a vet being denied a permit
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What county?
View Quote

Im in Asheville. Not sure what issues the Sheriff has with me. Tried twice and got rejected both times and they told it was because I was living at the vets quarters even-though I pay rent and I am not in the program here as I have my own room and it is considered an apartment. Had no issues when lived in Cumberland county and Robeson county before I moved here. Had concealed carry permit for Texas and one for Utah and one for Arizona. They refused several because of same reasons. I dont know wtf was going on. Hopefully the Va finishes my claim and I can move out of this place and I dont have to worry about Asheville for much longer. This place is just way too damn liberal for me.

Just went and picked up another stripped lower last week and passed a background again. I know there is no issue with my background.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#15]
You need to take It to court and get them spanked.. After they issue your permit as per the courts will have them do..

I would than sue for civil rights and make that they pay thru the nose and can no longer do it anyone else..

Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#16]
The pistol permit repeal bill has passed and been sent to the Governor of course being a Democrat he will veto it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Racist Cooper vetoed it. Great job Roy!  Keep those Jim Crow laws while banking the black vote. I don’t know how you do it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Racist Cooper vetoed it. Great job Roy!  Keep those Jim Crow laws while banking the black vote. I don’t know how you do it.
View Quote

But it had everything the libs scream for…..instant checks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
2024 can't come soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
2024 can't come soon enough.
View Quote

So roy boy can cheat again?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So roy boy can cheat again?
View Quote

This is his second term though. Isn't there a limit in NC?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, term limits in NC on governor...can only be elected twice to the same office.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Racist Cooper vetoed it. Great job Roy!  Keep those Jim Crow laws while banking the black vote. I don't know how you do it.
View Quote

Same way the black voters never leave the house, yet nearly 100% of them turn out at 3 am and register a vote.  Remember all the votes they found in Durham county long after the polls had closed, that got Roy his job.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on how many (most) shootings in NC are black on black or black on white, the Jim Crow pistol purchase permit system doesn't seem to be holding them back any.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Did y’all notice he signed a bipartisan police reform bill a few days later?  Why wasn’t the PPP repeal in there so that law enforcement resources could be reallocated to doing meaningful work?

Republicans. Looks like they are getting soft and we’ll be VA before you know it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I need to move out of this state. So many states are becoming  free yet NC is trying to become Blue and trying to restrict our rights more and more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think I need to move out of this state. So many states are becoming  free yet NC is trying to become Blue and trying to restrict our rights more and more.
View Quote

wifes wanting to put in a transfer to very red fl panhandle area where my mothers side is from. its hard choice but its not just about living around those that share your values but also having local and state gov thats not out to destroy them. i hope more are being woken up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It isn't the whole state, Asheville is just a bad area. Our Sheriff is supposed to be pretty cool about permit approvals, but I am waiting for my driver's license renewal to come through (est 45 days ) before I find out for myself-and I'm not in a metro area. Eventually I'll get a carry permit and not have to deal with this shit.

If all the good people leave then it will become a shithole for sure; moving to a free state becomes less and less of an option as time goes on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was at Bragg between 99 and 14.  

I check this forum just to keep up with some NC stuff.

I got some sad news for you.

No matter where you move and how good it is at the time, this shit creeps in everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top