Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 1:34:58 PM EDT
He hasn't driven in 2 yrs. and has trouble walking, has been diagnosed as having dementia, and has absolutely no business driving a car.

If I'd had any idea Dad was going to do this I'd have called/visited  the license bureau and tried to stop it.   Absolutely don't want anyone hurt in a car accident.

Mom is still a decent driver so I hate to take their car away from them.

They have good full time help from Home Instead and the ladies who are their caregivers have new vehicles and will drive my parents anywhere they want to go.

How should I handle this situation?  Can I call someone and get his license revoked?  Do I need to get his primary care physician involved to attest to his impaired physical abilities and lack of the capability to make sound decisions? Should I call my attorney?

Not sure how to proceed at this point, so I'd greatly value any input.  Thanks very much for your replies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find the answers to your questions here...

NCDMV Medical Evaluation Program
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant offer much help, but I'm sorry for your situation. Its always a tough decision to make when you have to tell a loved one they aren't capable of doing something anymore. Especially something like driving.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He hasn't driven in 2 yrs. and has trouble walking, has been diagnosed as having dementia, and has absolutely no business driving a car.

If I'd had any idea Dad was going to do this I'd have called/visited  the license bureau and tried to stop it.   Absolutely don't want anyone hurt in a car accident.

Mom is still a decent driver so I hate to take their car away from them.

They have good full time help from Home Instead and the ladies who are their caregivers have new vehicles and will drive my parents anywhere they want to go.

How should I handle this situation?  Can I call someone and get his license revoked?  Do I need to get his primary care physician involved to attest to his impaired physical abilities and lack of the capability to make sound decisions? Should I call my attorney?

Not sure how to proceed at this point, so I'd greatly value any input.  Thanks very much for your replies.
View Quote

Is there any chance that you could ask him to stop driving?  Get your Mom involved since she still drives?  Mom can get them around so it's not like their home bound.  And there is Home Instead too.

Maybe just take his keys and get Mom on board with the plan.

Home Instead has great people don't they?  But soooooo expensive.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all of you for your well thought out and kind responses.  They are greatly appreciated.

My brother is coming in from Brevard Friday,  so we're going to have a family meeting to discuss this with my folks.

We'll  come up with  a safe solution.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#5]
OP my best advise is to go to his Dr and have a screening. If the Dr sees a problem he is duty bound to notify the DMV that your dad is medically unfit and his license will be medically "suspended".

This of course will not stop him from driving. He has dementia and won't remember his license has been surrendered.

A friend of mine just went through this and to avoid the heartache of his dad "loosing" his freedom, he would go over and pull a spark plug wire or something every time he was over so he was not able to drive...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top