Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:48:24 PM EDT
Its easy, except removing the taper pins for the front sight.  I ordered the kit for holding your rifle in a vise, and a yankee hill lightweight forearm.  Unscrew flash hider, knock out sight base pins, remove sight base (leaving gas tube attached) and then unscrew the barrel nut.  I left the barrel in place and unmoved to help me not screw anything up.  Install new nut, tighten the hell out of it, line up the hole for the gas tube, screw on forearm with blue loctite, install front trim piece with blue loctite, slide on front site base and repin it.  Easy as pie, took me less than an hour with my dad's help, and he knows prolly less than me!  Hopefully the zero wasn't affected, or won't take much to readjust.  Now I just have to file fit my tango down battle grip and I'll be good to go.
If anyone needs the action clamp or magazine well clamp, I have them along with some punches and a barrel nut tool from YHM.  I might even be persuaded to help if you have a vise....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for you sounds like you did a great  job, hope you don't mine if I ask a few questions if I do this myself     Thanks for shareing the information now lets see some pics of the EVIL BLACK RIFLE
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
ROFL, you guys think I have money for a camera????  I spent it all on AMMO!!!!  Of course if we arrange a shoot session, I will be happy to show it to you and demonstrate my inability to do what is called "grouping shots".

BTW, I just finished building my new lower reciever.  One and half hours on my bedroom floor.  Pliers, a hammer, and hemostats, one flat head screwdriver.  Done.   I had a bushmaster catalog, a military field book, and a reference rifle that I only looked at ONCE!  At least now I have an actual understanding of exactly how these triggers work.  When I build the upper I will figure out the rest.  This is FUN!!!!  I don't think I have been this happy since I took an SLR out for a little test drive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you ever need free tech help from one of the few actual "Factory Certified" AR armorers give me a call been doing it since 1986 and am factory certified. And answers are free.
Red
919-414-3247
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you sir, but now my biggest problem is figuring out what I am going to build this thing in to!  I was planning to do a 24" with bipod and optics, but the more I look at pictures the more I want another M4.  Thats what got me started in this whole hobby anyways.  Man this is tough!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank you sir, but now my biggest problem is figuring out what I am going to build this thing in to!  I was planning to do a 24" with bipod and optics, but the more I look at pictures the more I want another M4.  Thats what got me started in this whole hobby anyways.  Man this is tough!

i take my RRA 24" to uwharrie all the time.  if we're there at the same time, you're welcome to shoot it.  i need to take a trip there anyway, i just got my new 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!  I just got back from Davi's (yeah I know but they are 3 miles away) and put 150 rounds through it.  As fast as I could get away with, the barrel was smoking hot, and everything stayed tight.  The zero doesn't appear to be affected, although its not 100% perfect and I was shooting very badly today.  I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't come apart on me.  The first few groups did as well as they normally would, from then on I just opened it up to get it good and hot.  As usual, I got the bolt rifle guys jealous, and somebody had an SKS that got my interest up.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a Bushmaster "Patrolman's Carbine"  A3 upper.
Mods include:
Rubber buttstock pad
Ergo Grip
Lots of D&H mags
Yankee Hill Machine lightweight free float system
YHM sling side mount and swivel
Tango Down Battlegrip
Ladder style rail covers
Brightflashlights supplied Surefire Classic, XM tailcap, tapeswitch, YHM offset rail

Its far more accurate than I am.  Future mods call for co-witnessing an Eotech after I get good with the irons.

Pictured with it is my Glock 21 with houge slip on and Glock tactical light.  It also has Xpress big dot night sights installed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its easy, except removing the taper pins for the front sight.  I ordered the kit for holding your rifle in a vise, and a yankee hill lightweight forearm.  Unscrew flash hider, knock out sight base pins, remove sight base (leaving gas tube attached) and then unscrew the barrel nut.  I left the barrel in place and unmoved to help me not screw anything up.  Install new nut, tighten the hell out of it, line up the hole for the gas tube, screw on forearm with blue loctite, install front trim piece with blue loctite, slide on front site base and repin it.  Easy as pie, took me less than an hour with my dad's help, and he knows prolly less than me!  Hopefully the zero wasn't affected, or won't take much to readjust.  Now I just have to file fit my tango down battle grip and I'll be good to go.
If anyone needs the action clamp or magazine well clamp, I have them along with some punches and a barrel nut tool from YHM.  I might even be persuaded to help if you have a vise....

congrats on the succesful mission

Not being critical in the least but just offering some suggestions - I would use moly grease on the barrel nut threads and tighten the barrel nut down, loosen it, tighten a bit further and then loosen it and then on the final tighten take it to 40 FT lbs with a torque wrench and leave it - unless of course the gas tube is not lined up properly then take it past 40 ft lbs to the next available notch.....

I would also be careful poundsing out the FSB pins with the receiver locked in a vise.  That's about 9 inches of moment arm that was torquing on the aluminum receiver ech time it was whacked with the hammer.  Probably ok though - it's best to press those pins out if possible....

Again - I'm not trying to sound like a know it all I just thought i would add some things I have learned.  And of course - dont listen to me - call the expert - Red is the man and knows exactly what the heck he is doing at XRingPrecision

congrats again on the swap out....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
wow!

It looks as though you are preparing to give the AR the "Glock" torture test.
I think it will bend

Gary
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
We supported the barrel with a 2x4 to brace it where I was hitting the FSB pins out to help avoid bending it.  I see what you mean though.  I rezeroed it friday and I believe it is at mechanical zero both for windage and height.  I know for a fact the windage is at zero though.  I don't have access to a press except for work and they wouldn't want me using it for a firearm!
I will keep your tips in mind for next time, thanks for helping.
As far as the pictures, I thought the blacktop of my parents driveway was a nice neutral backround, those were the best ones I took.  I have to borrow their camera because I am poor and spend all my money on gun parts and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like it turned out well. If you need any AR tooling let me know. If you plan to do much AR work it is worth the cost of the tooling.
Red
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top