Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:26:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Helens. Earthquake activity beneath Mount St. Helens volcano has increased during the past few days, prompting scientists to issue a second formal notice, a Volcano Advisory, early on September 29. In the advisory, scientists of the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory (CVO) and the University of Washington describe the elevated earthquake activity and indicate that although the outcome of this activity is uncertain, several scenarios are possible, including explosions from the lava dome, landslides and debris flows from the crater, and a new lava flow. The most recent eruption of the volcano's lava dome occurred in October 1986, and a series of phreatice explosions occurred in 1989-91

Hopefully it doesnt erupt like it did in May of 80.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to bust your balls, but why is this in the Carolinas forum?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it interesting, and thought maybe someone else would too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm glad i don't live near there.  as long as the hills around the house don't grow lava domes and start rumblin', shakin' and such, i'll stick around here.

taxes and regulations might drive me out though.  we ain't got Mt. Saint Helens but we have a lot of tax and spend democrats and republicrats  that like to regulate anything they can think of in good old NC.  

wonder which is worse in the long run?

hmm......catastrophic eruption and loss of property/possible loss of life but i'd see it coming and get out;  got insurance so more than likely i can rebuild, etc.

or......slow, creeping loss of personal moneys and property due to income tax hikes, property tax hikes, municipal/school bonds issued and ever expanding cradle to the grave welfare (headstart, smartstart, food stamps, aid for families with dependent children, DSS payments to non employed moms for free formula, diaper and health care, etc.), increasing auto taxes and license fees with no foreseeable chance of recovering or rolling back the damage to personal finances.........

gotta stop!!! too depressing!  i know i'll watch the debates tonite and cheer up!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not to bust your balls, but why is this in the Carolinas forum?

why are you in the carolinas forum?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Well it happened Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/01/mount.st.helens/index.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Here was her first hiccup in awhile, just clearing her throat for now.  They predict an eruption with in the next 24 to 48 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top