Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 9:32:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
1.I know a few who have select fire,how friendly depends on the sheriff I think.
2.I do.Not long range mind you but pistol and sometimes shotgun.
3.Love OUTBACK.Best steaks anywhere.
4.Jobs are hit or miss...alot of lay-offs lately.
Tobacoo and textiles take the worst hit.
5.Don't worry to much about the bible thumpers.
So far no lottery and no sunday hunting.
6.Not aware of any restrictions.
7.I don't go to many clubs.However Charroltte seems to be a good place.
NC likes to tax the sh*t out of you.Its their answer for everything.
This not a complete list by no means.Just my obsevations here outside of Winston Salem.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1.I know a few who have select fire,how friendly depends on the sheriff I think.
2.I do.Not long range mind you but pistol and sometimes shotgun.
3.Love OUTBACK.Best steaks anywhere.
4.Jobs are hit or miss...alot of lay-offs lately.
Tobacoo and textiles take the worst hit.
5.Don't worry to much about the bible thumpers.
So far no lottery and no sunday hunting.
6.Not aware of any restrictions.
7.I don't go to many clubs.However Charroltte seems to be a good place.
NC likes to tax the sh*t out of you.Its their answer for everything.
This not a complete list by no means.Just my obsevations here outside of Winston Salem.
GLOCK-23

Pretty much what he said, except for Charlotte. The People's Republic of Mecklenburg County is the tail that tries its best to wag the whole dog....Hate Charlotte, it's full of wimpy liberal yuppies in their BMWs & Volvos. Traffic is so bad in Charlotte that it rivals Atlanta for frustration. Winston is a nice town, however....Asheville is nice if you can stand downtown & all the gays, lesbians & hippy wannabees that the former idiot mayor encouraged to move there....
Anywhere in Western NC is pretty gun-friendly except inside the city limits of Asheville.
Job situation is lousy, about like everywhere else in the state right now.....Not many good gunshops in the area, unfortunately....Had to get my own FFL in self-defense to be able to get what I need & other officers wanted.

Come on up. A pro-RKBA import would be a nice change from most of the damn retirees we get here....You've heard of "halfbacks"? They retire to Florida, begin to hate it there and move half-way back to NY, NJ, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta agree with most of what has been said.
I'm in Gastonia, just west of Charlotte. It's a small city with just about eveything your looking for. Most of the counties surrounding Mecklenburb County(Charlotte) have land at decent prices.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend somewhere just outside of Mecklenburg county. You get the benefits of a somewhat large city (clubs,sports, Bass Pro Shops) without the bs NCCop spoke of.plus:
1. 3.5 hours from the coast.
2. 2 hours to the mountains(skiing)

If you want to be near a military area I would look at somewhere like Wilmington or New Bern.
They are fairly close to Camp LeJeune.You will probably find more areas to fire class III weapons in that part of the state(more space between larger towns). In fact Wilmington would probably be a nice fit for a fl dude. My dad grew up in Fayetteville and I would not reccommend it unless you are into endles streets of pawn shops, mobile home sales, used car lots and crappy bars. It pisses me off how the military folks are preyed upon by these kinds of places. It's also in the I-95 corridor which creates lots of drug and gang related activity, by NC standards anyway.
Good Luck in your quest
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
pretty much agree with everything.   i grew up in fayetteville - its okay.  a little rough at times around the edges - got some slummy areas and such but lots of different restaurant types.
the coastal area is pretty good and i now live in the foothills near pilot mountain - the liberals from the asheville area on the mountains haven't figured this area out yet.  theres a good gun club north of ralegh - sir walter gun club - in the creedmore area and some good ones down around fayetteville and the morehead/beaufort area is real nice.  come on up and help vote out some tax and spend liberals!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you given any thought to NW Florida?  It's a totally different state up here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ant Hill near Shillote has a BEAUTIFUL range, and its close to Myrtle Beach if youre into that. (Where I grew up) NC Coast is very nice but the hurricanes sucks. You should be used to them though haha
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have you given any thought to NW Florida?  It's a totally different state up here.

Where are you?  I just got a place in Ft. Walton Beach?

I will agree, NW Florida and Central Florida are worlds apart.

Steyr:  Have you considered Central VA?  The Richmond area would seem to have everything you are looking for - the strip club laws in VA are pretty strict, though (no nudity, etc.).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where are you?  I just got a place in Ft. Walton Beach?

I will agree, NW Florida and Central Florida are worlds apart.

That's great to hear.  I'm in Ft. Walton Beach too.  Naked Gunman and a few other members also live in the area.  Hope we can all get together and go shooting or have a beer sometime.  It's nice to know our local ARFCOM family is growing.

Welcome to NW FL, you're going to love it.

If you haven't found The Florida Shooters Network yet check it out.  There are quite a few Panhandlers over there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gotta agree with most of what has been said.
I'm in Gastonia, just west of Charlotte. It's a small city with just about eveything your looking for. Most of the counties surrounding Mecklenburb County(Charlotte) have land at decent prices.

that's funny, when i was reading your 'requirements' aug, it seemed just like you were describing Gastonia, where i'm from.  about 25 min. to the heart of charlotte, and gastonia is growing like crazy.
Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, RJ Gators, Applebees, etc....
one big mall, one huge strip mall (Walmart, Sports Authority, Best Buy, Old Navy, movies etc..) they are actually building another walmart
like said above, i wouldn't worry about the 'Bible belt thing' Charlotte has more than its fair share of 'gentleman's clubs'
One down side is having to get pistol permits, but i don't guess that would be an issue if you're gonna keep your FFL...?
and Charlotte is only about 4 hours from Myrtle Beach

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Auggie coming to the Carolinas???

Out-freaking-standing!!!

SOUTH Carolinas cool too.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top