User Panel

Tell me about Missouri! (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Head out to Old Monroe, Foley, and Winfield for any hope of 80 affordable acres close in and out that direction.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Originally Posted By Rick_NE:
We're also wanting to be a bit closer to STL for easier and quicker travel to the airport since we travel to the tropics a few times a year.

That would be past the top left corner of the Judgemental map posted above.
Head out to Old Monroe, Foley, and Winfield for any hope of 80 affordable acres close in and out that direction.

I do a lot of funerals up that way. It's a nice area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:55:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: defender] [#2]
From looking at google maps and realtor.com it looks like a fair amount of timber but also tillable farmland up in the area.  Maybe you can find 80 hilly, rocky acres for cheaper but I'm seeing prices north of $10,000/acre up there
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Before I bought the house, I contacted Centurylink, and they assured me that I'd get good internet service here. After I bought the place, they said that I'm too far from the switch, and they can't sell me sell me service. I asked about dialup, and it's not available here. I got WildBlue satellite, which was eventually bought out by Excede. It's much better, but still sucks.
View Quote
if you're interested, you might check with CenturyLink again. Where we moved, they could not provide residential DSL, saying initially that it just wasn't available. Turned out, when pressed, they would provide us with "business" DSL, so it wasn't unavailable, it was just pricey. We ran a business out of our home, so we did use their business DSL service for a few years.

We've used other providers since. Haven't used CenturyLink for a number of years.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
That's probably why all y'all country bumpkins never wear nothing but carpenter jeans, flannel work shirts and chore coats you bought at the local Feed and Ivermectin getting place . . .

View Quote

You say that like it's a bad thing!!  I even get to the big city from time to time and I still dress like that about everywhere but church!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I recently moved from Jefferson City (state capital) to a home just outside of Holt Summit, about 10 miles away. In town, I had internet through my cable company. It sucked. Barely sufficient to stream, and I experienced lots of outages, drops, etc. Now I'm on fiber. It's better than I could have imagined. My wife works from home, online all day. We get TV over the fiber, too. Great service. I mean truly outstanding internet.

The key is to buy a home that's served by a rural electric cooperative that has gotten into the fiber internet business. Not all of them have, but the ones that have made the move offer truly wonderful internet.
View Quote

A pretty good chunk of the middle of the state is served by the Co-Mo Electric (Co-Mo Connect) rural electric co-op.  They ran fiber to every member's house in their service area.  It is fabulous.

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By midmo:
A pretty good chunk of the middle of the state is served by the Co-Mo Electric (Co-Mo Connect) rural electric co-op.  They ran fiber to every member's house in their service area.  It is fabulous.
View Quote

Generally speaking, they cover Morgan, Cooper and Moniteau County.  Callaway also has fiber to home and they generally cover Callaway (duh) and western Warren County.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

Generally speaking, they cover Morgan, Cooper and Moniteau County.  Callaway also has fiber to home and they generally cover Callaway (duh) and western Warren County.
View All Quotes

Yep. My Callabyte service (Callaway Electric Cooperative) is tied into CoMoConnect. Can't say enough about how good it is. SO much better than than the cable-based internet I had in Jefferson City.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Yep. My Callabyte service (Callaway Electric Cooperative) is tied into CoMoConnect. Can't say enough about how good it is. SO much better than than the cable-based internet I had in Jefferson City.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I went through dialup, then satellite (back when Exceed was Wildblue, and included very restrictive download limits under their Fair Access Policy (FAP - go ahead boys, get those chuckles out ), then the fiber.  There's no comparison between the three.  It just goes from extra sucky, to sucky, to wonderful.

The downside right now is that rural and small town properties are really hot, with all the city folk figuring out that if they can work from home, they can live wherever they want. Fiber gives them that option.  There's not much for sale or rent around here anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]

The downside right now is that rural and small town properties are really hot, with all the city folk figuring out that if they can work from home, they can live wherever they want. Fiber gives them that option.  There's not much for sale or rent around here anymore.
View Quote

Last year we sold our 110-year-old house on a crowded busy street in Jeff and moved to a suburban home just outside Holts Summit. It was less than a 10-mile move, but wow, what a difference. We're not "in the country" but the change in lifestyle is quite remarkable.

My wife works from home, and is online all day in meetings, crunching data and conducting training classes from her home office. The old cable internet was always going down and even when it was running, it wasn't very good. Here, there are no limits.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tell me about Missouri! (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top