Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 10:59:44 AM EDT
I skimmed some info on the new militia bill being proposed, don't remember if it's MO House or Senate.  If voted into law, it would create a MO state militia and people can sign up for it.  They provide weapons, equipment and ammo but said items become the property of the state.  I was talking to my boss about it and my first thought is no one will sign up if their stuff becomes state property.  Then the idea came up wondering if this is a way to work around any federal gun/ammo bans.  If the items become state property, would that be a way to have people keep their firearms in the event of any federal bans?  

And that brings up another question.  If the items are state property, what about NFA items?  Could this be used to get around the NFA?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Not only registered, but transfer of ownership? Doesn't sound good to me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I skimmed some info on the new militia bill being proposed, don't remember if it's MO House or Senate.  If voted into law, it would create a MO state militia and people can sign up for it. They provide weapons, equipment and ammo but said items become the property of the state.  I was talking to my boss about it and my first thought is no one will sign up if their stuff becomes state property.  Then the idea came up wondering if this is a way to work around any federal gun/ammo bans.  If the items become state property, would that be a way to have people keep their firearms in the event of any federal bans?  

And that brings up another question.  If the items are state property, what about NFA items?  Could this be used to get around the NFA?
View Quote

If they did provide, then yes, they would be property of the state.  The bill does not do that...if you are called up, your guns become property of the state.

SB528 https://www.senate.mo.gov/21info/pdf-bill/intro/SB528.pdf
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm my own militia. If they want my guns after signing up, they'll have to take them from my cold dead hands.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]

19     All volunteers of the minutemen of the state shall
20 be required to secure themselves with firearms, firearm
21 accessories, ammunition, uniforms, equipment, and supplies
22 necessary to perform any duties as assigned by the
23 governor.Any such firearms, firearm accessories,
24 ammunition, uniforms, equipment, and supplies shall be
25 property of the state for purposes of sovereignty and
26 jurisdiction in matters of judicial, taxation, and police
27 powers exercised by the state while a member of the
28 minutemen.Any such firearms, firearm accessories,
29 ammunition, uniforms, equipment, and supplies owned by the
30 state pursuant to this section shall not be subject to any
31 tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm
32 accessories, or ammunition and shall not be subject to any
33 registration or tracking of firearms, firearm accessories,
34 or ammunition.
View Quote

From my reading of it, the intention is to say: if you serve in the minutemen then, your weapons belong to the state and state owned weapons are exempted from registration, taxes or tax "stamps" (hello NFA?) and tracking.  So yes they may technically be "owned by the state" but there is no registration or tracking of what you are bringing to the state table and the defense of owning something restricted is "I am a state minuteman."

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in reading legalese.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From my reading of it, the intention is to say: if you serve in the minutemen then, your weapons belong to the state and state owned weapons are exempted from registration, taxes or tax "stamps" (hello NFA?) and tracking.  So yes they may technically be "owned by the state" but there is no registration or tracking of what you are bringing to the state table and the defense of owning something restricted is "I am a state minuteman."

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in reading legalese.
View Quote

That's how I was reading it. Interesting angle on nullifying the NFA and other gun control crap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not only registered, but transfer of ownership? Doesn't sound good to me.
View Quote

Not when you end up with a democrat governor who decides... everyone who signed up gave us their weapons... sheriffs do your worst
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah go for it..Surely the government would never fuck you over..
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Well this is an interesting development. The bill specifically says it is not militia. Now, if this means I can get an M4 at law enforcement prices... Yeah, I'll gladly buy one for the state
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well this is an interesting development. The bill specifically says it is not militia. Now, if this means I can get an M4 at law enforcement prices... Yeah, I'll gladly buy one for the state
View Quote

Not after you lose it in a boating accident!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top