Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 4:28:25 PM EDT
Standby for 15 to 30 minutes of rolling blackouts in the Kansas City area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Let the purge begin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This never happened under Trump.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This never happened under Trump.
View Quote

The re-appropriating of Energy reserves is only the beginning.

My white privilege demands well lit living spaces and constant power to my automatic watch winders.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats this from??
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Other than the snow taking the power out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whats this from??
View Quote

Every news station in KC. Apparently Evergy started at noon with no warning. I heard the Plaza area was without power. I'm in the Northland and it hasn't happened here yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're saying to help conserve energy so the grid doesn't back up. Of course Wal Marts and Government buildings won't be affected
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They're saying to help conserve energy so the grid doesn't back up. Of course Wal Marts and Government buildings won't be affected
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that always the case

Haven't had anything in lees summit yet, it's supposedly going on through noonish tomorrow from what I hear.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Haven't had anything in lees summit yet, it's supposedly going on through noonish tomorrow from what I hear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a thread in GD. Someone posted that they were stopping. No idea if they are resuming tomorrow or not.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The funny part was when the dude from Evergy or wherever was like "we all need to do our part" when asking people to lower their thermostat settings.

I'm hearing a lot of this "it takes a village" rhetoric lately...
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Our electric was out from 9:30am -1:30pm today (Monday).

ETA: In KC.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of places like those plus spots like hospitals & cop houses have their own generators so they can keep operating.
When I was looking into becoming a diesel mechanic hospitals were some of the highest paying jobs, they need to make sure them genny's are up 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The funny part was when the dude from Evergy or wherever was like "we all need to do our part" when asking people to lower their thermostat settings.

I'm hearing a lot of this "it takes a village" rhetoric lately...
View Quote

Been seeing that a lot lately as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Been seeing that a lot lately as well.
View Quote

To Hell with Evergy and the rest of the power companies.
How about them do their part and maintain/upgrade the grid lol
Our part is to use what they supply. Not make up and suffer for their incompetence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To Hell with Evergy and the rest of the power companies.
How about them do their part and maintain/upgrade the grid lol
Our part is to use what they supply. Not make up and suffer for their incompetence.
View Quote

You ain't wrong.  The flip side to this is that after a major "storm" type event lot's of folks are reminded that without those "ugly" powerlines on their property that require maintenance that is often aggravating for the landowner, the grid cannot be maintained and/or upgraded.  Not that anyone in the HTF needed a reminder.  Hopefully the worst is behind us and everyone's lights stay on through today's band of snow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't Missouri tied into the national grid? The only reason that they can't keep powered up is that the power lines and equipment isn't up to carrying capacity. We can always get power from the tie-ins from other generating stations. So why should there be any rolling blackouts? I must decide that the current built system is undersized.

Texas had their problems because they are pretty much a stand-alone state when it comes to the electrical grid. And not prepared for that type of winter weather.

But what could be Missouri's excuse?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Isn't Missouri tied into the national grid? The only reason that they can't keep powered up is that the power lines and equipment isn't up to carrying capacity. We can always get power from the tie-ins from other generating stations. So why should there be any rolling blackouts? I must decide that the current built system is undersized.

Texas had their problems because they are pretty much a stand-alone state when it comes to the electrical grid. And not prepared for that type of winter weather.

View Quote

It's a complex question with a complex answer.  I am far from an expert, but in MO you have lots of players in the game.  The cooperatives all have ties to each other.  The cooperatives also have ties to investor owned utilities such as Ameren MO and Entergy (or whatever the former KCP&L is now).  I assume that the investor owned utilities tie to each other as well.  Then you also have municipalities that are normally tied into someone else for their generation.  So in short, yes we are tied into a grid.  If there isn't enough power, the simple reason why is deficiencies in the distribution, transmission and/or generation.  Normally (in the Midwest anyhow), whenever there is a deficiency in transmission or generation, it can be overcome with ties to other utilities.  In order to never have any deficiencies, you need distribution, transmission and generation that can handle any issue that comes up at any time.  Generation deficiencies include frozen up windmills that can't turn, solar panels covered with snow, natural gas plants with frozen up gas lines and/or an issue with a coal plant being supplied with coal.  Transmission and distribution issues include problems at substations and their lines.

Many of the issues that brought on these blackouts probably could and should have been prevented.  It should also be said though, that to cover every contingency that could happen 100% of the time would require a significant investment.  How overkill do you go?  The obvious answer right now is, enough that there would be no rolling blackout.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They killed our power at 6:50 as the wife was TRYING to get ready for work.  She was a half hour late!

How about some more Wind Turbines to freeze up or Solar Panels to collect snow and fail!

This didn’t happen in 1986 when it was -20 for 5 days!
View Quote

There weren't as many one family homes full of 20 illegals in 86.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They killed our power at 6:50 as the wife was TRYING to get ready for work.  She was a half hour late!

How about some more Wind Turbines to freeze up or Solar Panels to collect snow and fail!

This didn’t happen in 1986 when it was -20 for 5 days!
View Quote

Here is something worth watching:
https://www.prageru.com/video/whats-wrong-with-wind-and-solar/
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Texas issue isn't that simple.
Sheep and the Texas Electrical Grid
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Texas issue isn't that simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl6x9_hYs0
View Quote

I like Eric July. I don't watch him on his platform but I watch him on BLAZE as a commentator/contributor. As a retired employee of an electric/natural gas utility I will stand by my thought that it was a combination of under-capacity infrastructure and supply. I don't believe it has anything to do with who controls the grid...read ERCOT here.

When Can A Blackout Occur?
The most common reason for rolling blackouts is that demand for power outstrips supply. Contributing factors might include the following:

Power production problems
Fuel shortages
Outdated infrastructure
Natural disasters
Energy crises stemming from natural or man-made sources
When a city or region experiences rapid population growth, local utilities may occasionally struggle to keep up with the increasing demand for energy, especially during the extreme hot and cold temperatures of the summer and winter months.

By interrupting service to a portion of its service area, the utility can usually prevent a complete failure to the entire grid. Utility officials understand that a power outage is inconvenient, costly, and for some folks, even dangerous.

When demand for electricity strains available capacity, the first response is to promote conservation during peak demand periods. Local officials may encourage residents to adjust the thermostat, avoid using power-hungry appliances, and turn off lights.
If conservation efforts fall short of addressing the problem, the power company may implement brownouts, which involve a reduction in the amount of electricity produced, but not a complete blackout. A brownout can cause lights to dim or flicker, and some appliances to operate less efficiently.
Rolling blackouts are used as a last resort and the company will cut power to as few customers as possible for the shortest period of time necessary to preserve the stability of the whole grid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

AND can burn out Three Phase Motors due do to Single Phasing.
View Quote

Yep!...unfortunately!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top