User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 1:32:16 PM EDT
Got a job offer for 70k a year
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you move for the job,  also look into moving to Savannah (about 10 miles north).  A small, quiet town of maybe 5k now.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
And what is the matter with south end ?
I do live there and would not live in any other part of town
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't. Move to Platte City and make the 45 minute commute every day

I'll be honest, I always hear shit talked about ST. Joe, but it seems like a decent town to me. We always stop at the flying J on our way to/from Mound City for hunting. Doesn't seem like a bad area. I've met good and bad people from there, like every other city. As SS mentioned the crime rate has gone up, along with the drugs, but what city in the US hasn't?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
SS took a call from me, and was very helpful. Topnotch gentleman.

How are the schools? I've got younguns.

I prefer not to live in a city, I'd like to have some land and privacy. Probably 250k budget for a house. Dream would be to shoot guns and drink off my back porch, no hoa, fly a huge flag and not be bothered. Possible?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SS took a call from me, and was very helpful. Topnotch gentleman.

How are the schools? I've got younguns.

I prefer not to live in a city, I'd like to have some land and privacy. Probably 250k budget for a house. Dream would be to shoot guns and drink off my back porch, no hoa, fly a huge flag and not be bothered. Possible?
View Quote

Nope. Maybe if you go 30-45 min north.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont do it.

I moved out of there 5 years ago...wont ever go back. Huge shit hole.

$70k a year will go a long way there though.

Move to Savannah, just north.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Beware of Homers! Used to work there back in the day when I was in contracting, can be very hostile to outsiders. Most were nice people but there are a lot who don't want out-of-towners there. Don't tell people you ain't from St Joe unless you really have to. Also, North Ender Homers and South Ender Homers don't like each other.

Other than that, the parts of (North End) downtown, that aren't falling apart, have some very nice architecture, especially the old churches. Jesse James' house is there too. The gun stores kinda suck, at least the ones I've been too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I drill there with the 139th AW out at Rosecrans MAP.  I like the area for the most part.  Being from the St Louis area the crime rate hasn't phased me, but most of my fellow squadron members don't live in St Joe itself, but one of the surrounding areas like Savannah.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If in town, live in the north end or out in the country.  St. Joe is kind of a low-brow town.  I worked there for a year and unless you are on the north end, just not a great place.  Go out to the country area or a smaller town.  It has the amenities, but otherwise, not the greatest of towns.  I opted not to live there and commuted 1.5 hours each way, not worth it.  If you live in a smaller town or out in the country, it would be just like most any place you commute into and wouldn't worry about it.

I have also found that, IMO, snow and weather seem worse north of 36 highway than for the rest of the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top