Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2018 12:41:53 AM EDT
My son just joined a Fraternity at Rolla and they have been to the range. I'd like to shoot while there over a weekend if possible. What ranges are available and what do they cost ?

Just trying to get an idea...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
There is one at Huzzah Conservation area to the east, and there is one at Indian Trail Conservation Area to the south.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Huzzah a lot. I shot there for many years.
Here's a pic I took there, while shooting with friends, in the 80s.
Attachment Attached File

I don't know if it's helpful, but here's the MDC list of ranges;
https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/find/places/mdc-ranges
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There’s one out on BB that the trap team shots at.  Has rifle and pistol bays too.  Unstaffed, they give you a key for the gate.  It was $100/year when I went, but that was 7-8 years back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That was the old Harris range. Now Rolla shooting club I think. They also have a 200ish rifle bay. Last year I belonged it was $125 per year. They shoot Skeet Thursday and Sunday noon to 4 ish. Contact info is

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 1-573-578-1103

Rolla is also surrounded by National Forest. Can often find a place without people and a nice visible hill berm where you can shoot. You may also see targets tacked about 6 feet high on a tree with woods being the backstop. Please slap the crap out of anyone you might find that think trees are a backstop. There is a place out 63 South past the Yancy Mills bridge. Turn left on the first road past the bridge and left again in a couple of miles later on a gravel road. It ends in a nice bottom surrounded by hills that make good backstops. In the past, it was used by poop for brains trash who shoot up tv's and leave the damn things. Haven't been in years but it was a place you definitely needed to take a firearm down range with you when placing targets.
Sunday is an all classifier match at the COPS range. Don't have to be a member to shoot matches. USPSA match first Sunday of every month and US Steel match the 3rd Saturday of the month. All year unless ice/snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The one south on 63 is still trashed all the time.  Every other year or so, somebody cleans it up but more low life's trash it in no time.  That' where I shoot just because I live on the south side of town and it's easy to get to.  Rolla Shooting Club is nicer but usually when I went, there were other folks there and I prefer to shoot by myself or with my kids/dad.  There are 3 different places to shoot at the south forest range, four if you go up the ridge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What Fraternity?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
EDIT: Double-tap
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The informal one at Nancy Mills is decent, but you will definitely want to carry a weapon while downrange. We also shot a lot on USFS land where safe to do so, as well as the old Moselle No. 10 mine near Vida. The mine is private property, but not posted - never had anybody complain, and we always picked up all our trash and brass. It has great berms around the entire pit.

Which frat? I graduated from Rolla in May, but was not in a frat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Sig Pi

He says the temp dorm is ok, but can't wait for the new house to be finished. The architecture drawings I've seen are impressive. This from the kid that had NO interest in a Frat before getting to college and meeting a few. He actually got bid cards from 2 Frats by the end of the first week. I like the mandatory study they require, but he's pretty self driven. Went into this with his Eagle Scout, has been to all 4 hi-adventure bases(Philmont 3 times) and almost a full ride due to grades and scholarships. (Wish I could figure out what turned ON his switch in middle school. I'd make millions)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
There are also 2 indoor ranges in St Robert, one at exit 163 (yes the former tit club) and Bow and Barrel at exit 161.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig Pi

He says the temp dorm is ok, but can't wait for the new house to be finished. The architecture drawings I've seen are impressive. This from the kid that had NO interest in a Frat before getting to college and meeting a few. He actually got bid cards from 2 Frats by the end of the first week. I like the mandatory study they require, but he's pretty self driven. Went into this with his Eagle Scout, has been to all 4 hi-adventure bases(Philmont 3 times) and almost a full ride due to grades and scholarships. (Wish I could figure out what turned ON his switch in middle school. I'd make millions)
View Quote
If the new house is the one I'm thinking of (right near the EE and CivE buildings), a guy I worked with on my senior design feasibility study had a big role in making that whole project happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are also 2 indoor ranges in St Robert, one at exit 163 (yes the former tit club) and Bow and Barrel at exit 161.
View Quote
Theres still a titty bar there...
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Theres still a titty bar there...
View Quote
Big Louie's still there and kicking?  I spent a few nights there back in my days in Rolla.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Big Louie's still there and kicking?  I spent a few nights there back in my days in Rolla.
View Quote
No, it's closed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, it's closed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's closed.
When did it close?  Couple years ago it was still there, just moved down a few spots in the strip mall.  Wife knew a couple girls who worked there
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When did it close?  Couple years ago it was still there, just moved down a few spots in the strip mall.  Wife knew a couple girls who worked there
View Quote
Sometime back in the spring.  I was at GQ at the Lake and one of the girls said she used to work there and they closed so the owner could open a fudge shop or some other retarded thing.   She said he was trying to make that entire Uranus area family friendly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sometime back in the spring.  I was at GQ at the Lake and one of the girls said she used to work there and they closed so the owner could open a fudge shop or some other retarded thing.   She said he was trying to make that entire Uranus area family friendly.
View Quote
Ahhhh GQ, they might be ugly but they know how to have fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top