Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 9:53:00 PM EDT
Super stoked to say that I am finally getting out of Illinois and will be moving to the Springfield area for my new job. First things in order are to find a place and also find a new range and FFL.

I have been watching the other moving to Springfield area thread and it looks like we may want to stick to the south or eastern sides if possible? The wife and I are currently struggling to find a place to rent though as we have a GSD and a lot of places won’t allow large breeds, let alone ‘combatitive breeds’.

Anyone have recommendations for a good FFL in the area with decent transfer fees?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I know little about Springfield, other than driving through on the way to Branson, but welcome to our state.
There are FFLs listed in the tacked thread, though it's not all inclusive.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome... I made the transition from IL on June 23 of last year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The apartments I'm temporarily in allow big dogs.  Not sure of breed restrictions though.  I'll message you their name.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
For FFL with transfer fees go to Eagle Pawn near the intersection of Fort and Battlefield.  This is on the South-Cental to Southwest part of town.

They charge $10 per and the guy was respectful as could be and seemed to appreciate my business which these days is sometimes rare.

They used to be free on transfers but I think the guy got abused and had to start charging $10.

My $.02 worth.

Good luck to you and welcome.

Oh and I’d agree on the south or east side of town. Or one of the neighboring suburb communities.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the black hole. Now you're screwed

Lots of ffl to choose from. My personal list

Eagle Armory.
Henry Lee's.
All about guns.
417 guns. (Can come off as a dick)

Don't let em scare ya. The west side is simply a target rich environment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Moving from the NW Suburbs of Chicago to SPFD area was the best thing that ever happened to me.  It was my parents decision and I had just turned 18 so naturally I hated it my first year or two here, but you couldn't pay me to move back now.  All I miss is the food.

That was 14 years ago.

ETA:  If you can live just outside of Springfield that would probably result in better rental search results, lower prices, and less headaches unless you really want to live in Springfield.  I bought a house in a small town about 20 miles from Springfield and very much prefer that over living in SPFD.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I left ILL in time to vote against Obama the first time he ran.  Only for that reason.

Was born there and many family, including all my children, but can no longer abide in such a ludicrous environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top