Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:23 AM EDT
Have a few questions.  I am eyeballing a Thompson Encore Pro Hunter FX in .50 that an individual in Illinois is wanting to sell.  I am pretty sure the Encore is considered a firearm even though it's muzzle loader form due to it's ability to interchange to a rifle.  Correct me if I am wrong on that.

If I am correct above I would then need to have him ship to an FFL on the Missouri side for me to take delivery right?  I read through the Firearms Act of 1968 and I am now more consuced than I was before I read it.  I know a handgun would have to go through an FFL no matter what but I am unsure on long guns.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, there was an Encore version made that did not require a 4473.  However, if it is one of the ones that can accept a rifle barrel, it is considered a firearm, and needs to be transferred through an FFL to go state to state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Directly from Cabela's website: No FFL 4473 Required. Cabela's
Muzzle loaders according to the ATF are exempt from the 34 NFA and 68 GCA
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure that the Encore needs to be treated like an AR lower.

FFL for across state lines.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Copied from Cabela's website: "Note: The Pro Hunter FX is a non-interchangeable fixed-barrel muzzleloader. Encore and Pro Hunter Rifle barrels cannot be interchanged on the Pro Hunter FX platform. No FFL 4473 form required. Made in USA." I don't think Cabela's would be posting that under item description and allowing people to have the rifle shipped directly to their house if it was illegal. If in doubt, contact the BAFTE
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoda thunk T/C would have created a line of Encore rifles which can't swap M/L, center fire barrels, etc from the same frame.

My mistake.  I never would have guessed that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whoda thunk T/C would have created a line of Encore rifles which can't swap M/L, center fire barrels, etc from the same frame.

My mistake.  I never would have guessed that.

But they can fit them, if you send the gun in to them.

More money for them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top