Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:40:14 AM EDT
Great way to start the day...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_9a17c08c-bcd1-11df-92c4-00127992bc8b.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Good riddance
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_9a17c08c-bcd1-11df-92c4-00127992bc8b.html

IMPERIAL -- A shop owner who slept in his
Jefferson County auto sales store grabbed his revolver when he
heard the door rattle and glass breaking early Friday, then shot a
burglar to death, police say.

The shooting happened about 2:15 a.m. Friday at Justice Auto
Sales, 5821 U.S. Highway 61/67. The owner confronted the burglar at
the door, then fired two shots from his revolver. The burglar
staggered back and fell in the parking area outside, said Sgt.
Perry Tindall of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department. He died
at the scene.

Tindall said the shop owner called police and is cooperating
with investigators. He is not in custody. Detectives will be
presenting their evidence to the prosecutor's office.

Police say the burglar is likely tied to a series of other
break-ins and robberies.

Another auto store in the 7000 block of Highway 61/67 in
Jefferson County was burglarized sometime Thursday night. The thief
took a van and motorcycle apparrel.

Then early Friday, as police were investigating the shooting at
Justice Auto Sales, they found the van parked nearby. They assume
the burglar used that van as transportation in other break-ins.
Police found merchandise in the van, and they're trying to sort out
what may be stolen.

Tindall said it Justice Auto Sales hadn't had a problem before
with burglaries, but the shop owner kept a bedroom at the business
and it was routine for him to stay overnight there.

By 9 a.m., police still weren't sure who the dead burglar was.
His body was going to be removed by technicians with the medical
examiner's office. Tindall said police hadn't found a weapon on the
burglar, and they hadn't looked for identification.

The burglar was believed to be in his late 30s or early 40s.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Justice Auto Sales... appropriate
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope some dipshit upstart prosecutor doesn't try to charge the owner.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope some dipshit upstart prosecutor doesn't try to charge the owner.

I share your concerns. However, in my opinion, in this part of the country that would most likely be career suicide. In other parts......Anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I may well be wrong, but doesn't Castle Doctrine cover the hero in this story?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
good for him one less criminal on the streets.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The owner has nothing to worry about!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
justice auto is just a few miles from my house.  crime has increased around here lately. just a while back we had some "urban dwellers" come out and try their hand at home invasions, unsuccessfully....

when i first built my house here in 2000, i was awaken to some noises in the garage. some hoodlums had come in from the back door and where going through my stuff. when i flicked on the light and yelled "hey!" they took off like like scalded cats, they were kids, they probably had no idea i had a shotgun in my hands. ever since that happened i've kept all the doors locked most of the time including daylight hours.

the castle law has recently expanded to include any property you own or lease. i think this guy is ok.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Good shoot, if they were gonna screw him he would be sleeping in Hillsboro.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The owner has nothing to worry about!

yes and no.....legally no, business wise...possibly YES depending on how the area takes it and how much his name is drug thru the news outlets.

I've been working late to get my new office open for business on monday......and as most good MOHTF people, I carry 100% of the time. The concern for me will have to do with what effect it will have on my business should a situation like this happen. For a car repair place it may not have much effect at all, for other professions or if he is in a liberal area it may hurt his pocket book with less business.

btw....god riddance to the trash.....just wish there was a legal way to report and deal with this without stringing it through the news for the guy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
For the love of god don't read the comments!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, got to play the devil's advocate for a few.  Shooting at 2:15 AM, body is still laying in the parking lot at 9AM. The police have not at that time checked the body for a weapon or identification.  Medical technicians still working the "crime scene". Cant say one way or the other, but sure does sound like the police / prosecutor is working up a case. 1) possible no weapon (ok this is so-so defense). 2) body in parking lot, but where was the bad guy when the shot went off? 3) and where was the gun shot? Front or back of his body?

We have castle law, but you do have to have credible reason to fear for your life. Cant just shoot someone cause you dont like him, because he just busted your window.

Do I cheer the owner for shooting what appears to be a scumbag? Hell yes and I also hope that the cops shake his hand and tell him while patting his back and say "Good Shoot". And that be the end of it. But we dont know all of the facts and like I said the body laid out in the parking lot for over 7 hours. Mean while by noon the glass guys are replacing the busted window. Or about 3 hours later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Seven hours aint a stretch for a crime scene like that.  It sounds like he forced entry was shot, and fled across the parking lot before expiring.  No if he was confronted by the owner, turned and fled and took two to the back as he was crossing the parking lot the business owner could be introuble.  Your right there is alot of info missing but even if the polcie look at it and say "good shoot" they have to be  thorough to make sure. My .02

Jerry
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Just seen the evening news Jerry. If one can take the chief of police. Sounds like all is going to go well with the owner. Did I hear right? Is the owner 72 years old? I also think I heard that it was a 357 mag that he used and two shots. Sounds like he bled out quickly from those two shots. Would like to entry points and pictures of the bullets. How much did they open up and how much retention.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, got to play the devil's advocate for a few.  Shooting at 2:15 AM, body is still laying in the parking lot at 9AM. The police have not at that time checked the body for a weapon or identification.  Medical technicians still working the "crime scene". Cant say one way or the other, but sure does sound like the police / prosecutor is working up a case. 1) possible no weapon (ok this is so-so defense). 2) body in parking lot, but where was the bad guy when the shot went off? 3) and where was the gun shot? Front or back of his body?

We have castle law, but you do have to have credible reason to fear for your life. Cant just shoot someone cause you dont like him, because he just busted your window.

Do I cheer the owner for shooting what appears to be a scumbag? Hell yes and I also hope that the cops shake his hand and tell him while patting his back and say "Good Shoot". And that be the end of it. But we dont know all of the facts and like I said the body laid out in the parking lot for over 7 hours. Mean while by noon the glass guys are replacing the busted window. Or about 3 hours later.

You have to work every scene just the same. You never know when what seems obvious is not. They are just being thourough and that can work out to the advantage of the innocent and the disadvantage of the guilty. The coppers are being dilligent and are to be commended.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Read the sign.

Ironic?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
While I agree with you, we would have had that scene wrapped up in two hours max and the victim home in his bed by 7:00 AM.... just saying.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, got to play the devil's advocate for a few. Shooting at 2:15 AM, body is still laying in the parking lot at 9AM. The police have not at that time checked the body for a weapon or identification. Medical technicians still working the "crime scene". Cant say one way or the other, but sure does sound like the police / prosecutor is working up a case. 1) possible no weapon (ok this is so-so defense). 2) body in parking lot, but where was the bad guy when the shot went off? 3) and where was the gun shot? Front or back of his body?

You have to work every scene just the same. You never know when what seems obvious is not. They are just being thourough and that can work out to the advantage of the innocent and the disadvantage of the guilty. The coppers are being dilligent and are to be commended.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While I agree with you, we would have had that scene wrapped up in two hours max and the victim home in his bed by 7:00 AM.... just saying.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, got to play the devil's advocate for a few. Shooting at 2:15 AM, body is still laying in the parking lot at 9AM. The police have not at that time checked the body for a weapon or identification. Medical technicians still working the "crime scene". Cant say one way or the other, but sure does sound like the police / prosecutor is working up a case. 1) possible no weapon (ok this is so-so defense). 2) body in parking lot, but where was the bad guy when the shot went off? 3) and where was the gun shot? Front or back of his body?

Copy
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
This dealer is about 1/2 a mile from my house. I hope all goes well for the owner. Good shoot or not, I'm sure any good person would be shaken to have to take a life. Better the perp than a man shot dead in his own home/business.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not true. Once they're committing a crime on your property you can kill 'em dead.

Castle Law assumes that anyone who unlawfully enters has intent to harm you. It also says you have no duty to retreat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOOD cop! Two dozen donuts for you & your guys!

Thanks, but we are the new generation of police... Starbucks and Bagels please!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Break in there late one night and find out rough it really is...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
GOOD cop! Two dozen donuts for you & your guys!

Thanks, but we are the new generation of police... Starbucks and Bagels please!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top