Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 2:21:51 PM EDT
Should we make a post that lets everyone know about what local gun shops gouged on prices, bought all of wal marts ammo and sold it at double the price, or in some other way went to extremes to take advantage of their customers?  I know this could go both ways with half of the people saying I'll never go there again, and the other half saying free market.  I'll start with the ones I know of.  Or list gunshops that didn't gouge their customers.

Gougers (IMHO):
Bog's Creek, Jefferson City-Had wallyworld WWB ammo for nearly double the price.
Powder Horn, Columbia-had wallyworld WWB ammo for nearly double the price (and bragged about buying wal mart out because wal mart beat their price)
and, Black Rifle in Columbia to a small degree for having pmags at over double their price from aimsurplus and other distributors (I don't see this as that bad, they got some mags from the manufacturer, and marked them as they saw fit)

Nongougers:
Bobs Guns, Jefferson City
Black Rifles, Columbia (yes I know I have them above, but they didn't go full retard on their gun or ammo prices)
Target Masters, Columbia (they were always kind of pricey )

Anyway fire away for good or for bad.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Loftis Pawn Shop in Springfield...pretty much the only NON gouging prices, except on ammo, of course they charge more, but i wouldn't call it gouging

Gunsmoke was ok, found some good and bad stuff so i put them as 50/50

i won't comment about others as i have mixed feelings about most
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know this could go both ways with half of the people saying I'll never go there again, and the other half saying free market.

You are absolutely correct.  It is (still, for now) a free market.  And as such, I reserve the right not to line the pockets of known price-gougers with my money.  

Amen brother.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Brandons guns - Joplin, he thinks each shipment will be his last and prices accordingly!! Ripoff!!!

On the flipside,

Neosho Gun and Pawn - Neosho, Prices are a little high but not out of line and they'll make deals!
Ozark Armory - Springdale AR, I was standing there when .380 came in, bought 2 boxes of 50ea Winchester for 18.59ap. The shipment was all gone before I left the store, but he didn't try to gouge anyone. He could have asked $25 a box and sold out just as quick, but didn't.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
On Target in St. Louis never raised ammo prices through the whole thing.  Gun prices went up a bit but were still reasonable, definitely no gouging.  I bought two guns there this year, and some ammo.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Mid-America Arms prices stayed the same.  The owners/employees stayed helpful and patient even with a sea of ammo-hungry customers in the shop.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
NON-GOUGER: Dunn's Sporting Goods

The guys at Dunn's bought every last bit of .223 they could find (legitimately) and resold it at the usual profit margin.  I found Fed. XM193BK for $8.50/20 there at the height of the craze.  Also the guys there (mostly high school and college-age students) are pretty laid back and fairly knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Smokey Acres, Ralph is a very good guy. No gouging.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Or how about a sticky for the MO EE?

There's a guy on the last page wanting $70 each for Delton LPKs. Even the laziest arfcommer can be on the delton site in two clicks and see they are in stock for $55

Sorry you got hosed during the panic. Glad to see "brothers" helping each other out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On Target in St. Louis never raised ammo prices through the whole thing.  Gun prices went up a bit but were still reasonable, definitely no gouging.  I bought two guns there this year, and some ammo.

Hmmm... I don't know about individual gun purchases, but I do know that they were attempting to sell stripped Stag lowers for $200 +tax.  Now, to me that is WAY to much.  Still, they are a bunch of good guys out there, but buyer beware.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NON-GOUGER: Dunn's Sporting Goods

The guys at Dunn's bought every last bit of .223 they could find (legitimately) and resold it at the usual profit margin.  I found Fed. XM193BK for $8.50/20 there at the height of the craze.  Also the guys there (mostly high school and college-age students) are pretty laid back and fairly knowledgeable.

I would have to second that! They had a skid of 7.62x39, 1000 rounds for 269.00. I should have bought them then, but I was broke and went to buy them the following weekend and they were all gone. LOL
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Strange as it may be, how about a Shout Out to Walmart for actually having ammo when many other shops did not AND not jacking the prices up.  Sure the limits sucked according to some, but at least they had ammo.  

Coincidentally, the only two day this year I have actually made it to work early enough to clock-in ahead of my scheduled shift time were days that I went to Walmart at 0630 to check their ammo shelves.  

True dat. I have replenished my stock with WW stuff for my handguns. I had 6000 .22 rounds stocked up as well.

Until I bought my S&W MP 15-22.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Strange as it may be, how about a Shout Out to Walmart for actually having ammo when many other shops did not AND not jacking the prices up.  Sure the limits sucked according to some, but at least they had ammo.  

/img]

+1
There are plenty of irrational Wal-Mart haters out there, I'm not one of them!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Off The Wall Firearms just north of Clinton up 71

$200 packs of 200 round UMC .223
Bunch of walmart ammo with $5 or more added to each price. Basic ARs not even below $1200. Guys in there are all useless drunks who just smoke cigars all the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gougers:
Bog's Creek, Jefferson City-Had wallyworld WWB ammo for nearly double the price. For sure! That irritated me to no end.
Black Rifle in Columbia to a small degree for having pmags at over double their price from aimsurplus and other distributors. Yea, I saw the 30 dollar pmags when I was there last winter.

Nongougers:
Bobs Guns, Jefferson City +1
Also Wal Mart for having decent prices throughout the frenzy, even if it was scarce at times.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top