Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 7:00:03 AM EDT

"9mm lacks 'knock-down power...'"
"This (complete stock Bushmaster) M4 goes for more than $2500 over in St. Louis..."
"Only hollowpoint 5.56 is effective, you need .308 to consistantly kill man-sized targets..."
"The Ruger SR-556 is the best M4 you can buy..."
"Pistol grip shotguns are the best home defense weapon..."

Everyone wants to be a firearms expert, I suppose.

Along with completely middling service and sky-high prices (the most egregious being a completely beat to death $229 M44 Nagant carbine, do people even search on the internets?) I'm shocked at their commercial success.  I can understand the local gun stores being angry, because of the irrational behavior people are displaying when they pay 20% premium on firearms for the right to say "I got it at Cabella's."

The Trophys are cool though, and I don't even  hunt.  Probably hard to find Jeff Foxworthy or Dale Earnhardt Beef Jerky, anywhere else.  Every so often, they misprice something in the Gun Library, like the Japanese Naval Infantry training rifle I got for $100, and later sold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't even get me started
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In my book they're correct about 9mm having insufficient stopping power and 5.56 being an inferior round to .308 for engaging human targets (most especially those who are likely to shoot back and to move to seek cover), even if they didn't quite say it the way I would.  

The "shotgun is best for home defense" point is was decently debated last time it came up here –– I believe Duke started the thread, it contained a poll, worded something like "role of the shotgun" ––  whether it's actually superior, in all aspects it's hard to argue with the point, generally, especially if you are trying to sell a gun to the typical customer profile I assume  –– much more effective with a shotgun than putting a rifle or handgun in the hands of someone who isn't going to spend any time learning to shoot it, etc.

Also, not all of Cabella's prices are terrible, just most  They beat anyone else in town on the Bushmaster ORC at $950 for the entire last year, even through the demand-based price adjustments everywhere else, AFAIK., And some of their cleaning accessories/etc are priced lower than the usual internet sources.  

-P
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In my book they're correct about 9mm having insufficient stopping power and 5.56 being an inferior round to .308 for engaging human targets (most especially those who are likely to shoot back and to move to seek cover), even if they didn't quite say it the way I would.  

The "shotgun is best for home defense" point is was decently debated last time it came up here –– I believe Duke started the thread, it contained a poll, worded something like "role of the shotgun" ––  whether it's actually superior, in all aspects it's hard to argue with the point, generally, especially if you are trying to sell a gun to the typical customer profile I assume  –– much more effective with a shotgun than putting a rifle or handgun in the hands of someone who isn't going to spend any time learning to shoot it, etc.

Also, not all of Cabella's prices are terrible, just most  They beat anyone else in town on the Bushmaster ORC at $950 for the entire last year, even through the demand-based price adjustments everywhere else, AFAIK., And some of their cleaning accessories/etc are priced lower than the usual internet sources.  

-P

"pistol grip" shotgun was the statement.  And no a pistol grip shotgun with no stock sucks ass unless your the terminator.  

And I never go to Cabelas to shop if they have a deal online for some stuff I might get it shipped there but those days are few and far between.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
they pay 20% premium on firearms for the right to say "I got it at Cabella's."

Plus another 10% in tax at the Hazelwood (STL) store.  4.2 for the state, 2.1 for the county, 1.5 for Hazelwood, PLUS..........

Part of their TIF was to place an additional 2.0% tax on all guns and ammo.  And they're located in a mall that prohibits CCW.

FUCK CABELAS!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"pistol grip" shotgun was the statement.  And no a pistol grip shotgun with no stock sucks ass unless your the terminator.  

I'm pretty happy with mine.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://performify.com/photos/FN-shotgun-3.jpg

um that looks like you have a stock

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The original statement was just  "pistol grip shotguns" and didn't say anything about stocks, or lack thereof.  Not sure where the "no stock" reference came from except The Terminator...

Does Cabellas even sell a pistol-grip shotgun without a stock?

Speaking of Cabellas shotguns, latest circular has the Remington Tactical Express for $299 on the front page.  That's a decent deal on a great shotgun.

-P
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
they pay 20% premium on firearms for the right to say "I got it at Cabella's."

Plus another 10% in tax at the Hazelwood (STL) store.  4.2 for the state, 2.1 for the county, 1.5 for Hazelwood, PLUS..........

Part of their TIF was to place an additional 2.0% tax on all guns and ammo.  And they're located in a mall that prohibits CCW.

FUCK CABELAS!

Sign right on the Cabela's door says "No Guns" does not apply to CCW. Taxes are high though. Haven't ever bought much there. I do what I do everywhere else: play with stuff there to see if I like it then buy it online for 25% less.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://performify.com/photos/FN-shotgun-3.jpg

And an ugly one at that.  I am of the opinion that M4 stocks belong on exactly and only one type of rifle in the world and that would of course be an M4. Though it is hard to argue with the undeniable functionality and utility of them.

As you so daftly pointed out in a previous thread, my height is below average.  That also translates to my arms, legs and other such extremeties!  My LOP is SHORT, I have to adjust just about every riflle or shotgun I buy, adjustable stock or not, so I love the M4 style stocks on the shotguns.  I'm gonna get me one of them some day!  

My short LOP is one of the reasons I don't own a lot of Milsurp.  I can't shoot them comfortabley and I don't want to defame a firearm that is limited (no longer in production) and has a history.  Oh well, you can't have it all, right?  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]
My personal favorite that I always hear at the counter

"That thing KICKS LIKE A MULE"

Makes me want to punch a baby.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My favorite Cabela's day was the time I was in there and some guy...let's call him Juan for the sake of speaking....took 2 SxS shotguns off the floor racks, held one stock under each armit and goes "Hey yo, check this out" to his buddy as he pointed both of them at him and banged the barrels together.

Then the guy buying a Ruger auto trying to shove it in to a size-too-small Uncle Mike's nylon holster and the guy at the gun counter saying "That's perfect, you want a night tight fit...."

Or the used Ruger 77 in .243 that looked like it had been behind the seat of a truck for 5 years for $579 and new ones behind the counter for $559, same model gun.

But they's got muh tirty-tirty shells.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top