Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2004 11:00:31 AM EDT
I can't say what, but congratulations are again in order for our very own Mr. Nukem .  And, no its not the Doom 3 release party either.

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I heard it from Mr. Nukem himself yesterday.  Congratulation is indeed in order.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
yep another steak i owe him. so mousegun you and duke need to tell me were you guys want to eat. the meal is on me.  Ronald
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
He won his first trial?  Or he's going to be a daddy?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Neither.  After more than a year of trying, I got a JOB yesterday.

Starting Monday morning at 8:30am I will be working as a child advocate for the state public defender's office.  There are two Juvenile Division offices in Missouri, one in St. Louis and one in Kansas City.  I will be working with children from ages 7 or 8 all the way up to 17 who have been accused of various crimes from petty theft up to and including murder one.  Most of these kids are emotionally screwed up and socially broken-- all of them are financially destitute or they wouldn't qualify for the public defender system's assisstance in their cases.  Most of the time my work will involve trying to place these kids in rehab centers, counseling and therapy, programs to get them involved in the arts or sports, and be part of a system that basically tries to support them and also scare them straight before they grow up to be career criminals and get stuck in the system.  

I'm really excited about the work, it will give me significant experience quickly in a field where a hard working attorney can occasionally make a positive difference in a person's life (which is why I went to law school to begin with: lets face it, if I wanted to be a plumber I'd have been a plumber!).  Its a steady paycheck that I can budget off of, and after 6 months of sucessful work at the job the probationary period ends and the pay jumps up significantly; as in the pay jump alone would be more money than I've made all year so far.  Even the base pay starting out Monday morning is more than my wife will make after 4 years of being a public school teacher.  The benefits are awesome, all sorts of insurance that I could never have dreamt of before (I've been wearing the same glasses since undergraduate school, I think I'll take advantage of the optical insurance ASAP), all those state job perks and such.  

I get my own office, not a cubicle environment, with a big oak desk and a flat screen monitor for the computer.  Its an 8 to 5 type job and there are no billable hours, you work for as long as it takes to get your work done (which can be a good thing and a bad thing, but avoids the nightmare of generating billable hours for a boss who is always trying to squeeze more out of you.)

In a way, this is the first job I've ever wanted.  Every other job I've ever taken, its always been "well this is just until school gets started" or "this is just until I get my bar exam results back".  This is the first job that I'm not looking at as a stepping stone to something better down the line that I have to wait for.  I've been waiting for the phone call I got yesterday for more than a year, but I've been working towards that phone call for more than SEVEN years.

Its been a big year for me: I've passed the bar exam, gotten married, and landed the job of my dreams.  I just turned 28 Monday.  So many seeds that I planted years ago and have been nuturing ever since are finally bearing fruit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
... Congratulation bro! I knew you'd do good soon enough
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither.  After more than a year of trying, I got a JOB yesterday.

Congrats, Happy Birthday & all that.  I knew you were doing some freelance legal type stuff but a steady paycheck "real job" (with medical ins, etc) in your chosen profession kicks ass.

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, I heard it from Mr. Nukem himself yesterday.  Congratulation is indeed in order.  

HEY

you told me i was getting to hear the secret before everybody else  

butthead

welcome to my client base--it will be an adventure
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats Nukem!  

This is an encouragement to me because my Junior year of engineering school starts the 25thfirst week1st exammidtermproject partnersfinals.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on both the job and the birthday.
I have to tell you though I do hold no envy for that job. I can just imagine the heartbreak that will come with it. Dealing with the end result of broken homes and shattered dreams.... wow....

Best of luck and go get 'em Duke!!
Gary
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent!  Good to hear.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats! Here's too ya!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrat Duke!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to the grind!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
AWESOME !!!   Congratulations.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations, Mike!

I went and tracked this site down while looking for pictures of the "Bachelor Party" shoot.  Then, on a whim, I went ahead and registered.  Congrats, again.

Nick

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Nick... so are we going to have a hockey season this year or what?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks Nick... so are we going to have a hockey season this year or what?

Maybe eventually, but it won't be starting in October as scheduled...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
WAy TO GO DUKE!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top