Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 5:59:20 AM EDT
Hey!!!! I made a COF!!!!!  What do you all think?!

Its based on the 12 walls we are building.
You enter through the doorway and immediately engage target 1 (T1), then go to the window and free the hostage, round the corner and engage the next target, after that you round the next corner and engage three more targets from a kneeling position behind the first horizontal wall, then go down on your belly to engage the remaining targets from the little porthole at the bottom of the last wall, finishing and stopping the clock with the steel audible target!!!!
Not bad for a first shot huh? I have a bunch of other ideas and I might just start posting them as I make them.  
Wha-da-ya tink!?

Marshall
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The only problem I see is that T1 and T3 are perpendicular to downrange, and may be a safety hazard, should a ricochet or miss occur.  Other than that, GREAT!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good, but a couple of questions:

When would you engage T4, when you round the first corner after T1 and T2, or later on in the exercise?

Do you have to engage the targets in numerical order, or in tactical order as they present themselves?

I also like the idea of having to transition from a primary weapon to some sort of backup weapon.

(I'm originally from Missouri and get back there at least once a year, so I may have to join one of the shoots if I can make it).
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Both very good observations.

kpel308,
T1 is at a 45 to the entry way. I wanted all targets to be downrange definately, but my graphic could use a grid underneath to better show the angles.
T3 would be questionable. I think that if it was pushed around the corner just a little more it would be a better shoot as it presented itself from a hidden point rather than from across the room as it does now.

hrt4me,
I think as you are presented with a target you should engage it. (bayonnete?) There really are no hard fast rules, as this gets a little anal even for me. I think that the hostages have to be dealt with first though. Freeing them before engaging other targets. But in the end, I really don't care.

I was just hoping to get some feed back!! THANKS!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good to me. I like the idea of move and fire for multiple engagements. How about some sort of weapon switch for this scenario? Not at first but maybe later. A handgun for the first target then switch to rifle, makes a person have to carry a slung rifle, holster/unholster a sidearm and then put the slung rifle into play.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it looks good.  Do you want to run that COF for the next match?  If so, let's do it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW, since I missed the build-fests, what did you guys end up making the wall segments out of???

And what are the approx. dimensions?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'de love to run it!!! I think it would be ULTRA cool if everyone designed a COF in their namesake that we could run at some time!!!! Heee hee hee ....I just chuckle at the thought of running "THE DIABOLICAL CHICKEN RUN!!!"  That sounds so cool!!! HAHAHA!!!

The panels are approximately 81"x4'x4"  made from thin sheet steel with 1"x4" framing in the back. They are really light and easy to move as well as durable and rigid. They should be able to take quite a bit of punishment

But in no way do they comprise the totality of the COF building materials I believe!!! Shi-Huang-Di and Stickerman built three structures at CMMG I think!!! And not to forget all the material ShamusMcoi has as well!!! No telling how elaborate this can get!!!!

This coming Sunday is my birthday and I am celebrating it the Saturday before with my wife because we got a babysitter and are gonna go on a date!!! YAAYYY!!!!!
I'de like to have Sunday the next build day if I could!!!!
So the call goes out again!!! I'll start a new post just to make sure, but all I need is like three other people and I can do steel all day long!!!!

I'm gonna keep making COF's though...its kinda fun!!! I actually submitted this one to sportshooter.com and hope they'll post it as well!!!! maybe even put it in their libraries!!!!OOOOooo....published COF designer...now theres a dorky title if I ever heard one!!!!HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Marshall
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
i think my COF would be sitting in a camp chair, with a beer and a brat--target at ten yards--bayonet optional, to be used to toast the marshmallows

tell me where to go to try and design one guys, and you can run the 'diabolical chicken' all day long

ps--you guys start bugging jason to get around to finding me a cool avatar
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Like this?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh now that's the cutest thing I've seen all day.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Another question since I missed the build fest.

What is the layout of the range?

How long and wide is the area we have to work with?  What would be the longest shot you could take on this range?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
HKocher,
I think it is going to be in a valley of sorts. Lots of trees. Which worries me in being able to make any type of COF level. But again i think ingenuity will prevail.
Look at the posts where they blew up the car. Those pix look down into the valley i am talking about.
Theres a real nice field right above the valley that would work great for house/room type COF's, but I think it might be off limits, but I dont know.
You might be able to pull off an 80 yard shot through all the trees, I am not sure exactly how much brush was removed from the area.
I think Jeff and John would be better able to describe the terrain.
All in all, if it is in the valley, there will be berms on both sides, so it'll be really safe.
It will make for some interesting COF's i think. Many will be woodland oriented I am sure (hiding behind trees etc.).
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BTW, since I missed the build-fests, what did you guys end up making the wall segments out of???

And what are the approx. dimensions?

Hey Hkocher,

Stickerman and I built the plywood sections from the last match into freestanding sections.  We have put together three 4’x7’ wall sections and a window section w/sill.  John suggested putting a frame around the edge and we used 2x6s to make the stand/ supports.  The lumber was from the last shoot and I think Shamus brought it out, but they are still at CMMG.  

We could use these for “ends” between the wall sections Metalman, Cutter and I built?  Metalman has 6 of those…81”x4’so far.

I will also have at least one freestanding door section by the match also.

Somebody mentioned a speed shoot thing with a 4x4 post that was done at pistol shoots?  I could put two stands together to safely hold the posts?  This would be away of having some fun with the “big guns”?

AND the additional team shoot sounds good!

(Shakyjake and Ms. Shakyjake sorry to take off right when you showed up at the range.  I had a small window of time but I will catch you next time!)

Brad

Metalman...will that Red-Dot fit on that .357???  I'll get it back to you I have a long way to go until I fix that feeding problem.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
cute ken, but after i posted that i went looking for a good picture myself--i found one--supposed to get put up tonight, i hope

didnt mean to hijack your post, metalman
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only problem I see is that T1 and T3 are perpendicular to downrange, and may be a safety hazard, should a ricochet or miss occur.  Other than that, GREAT!

Not really Ken...

The way the range is laid out everyone is uphill
NE of the door...   the range faces South and Southwest...
If the COF is set up properly, and everyone is behind the "firing line", then Metalman's COF is perfect for the terrain...

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Diabolical Chicken,
There is a site called www.sportshooter.com  that has libraries of COF's and the like. But they as well, have a downloadable page that shows all the COF stuff (walls, targets, etc.). I made mine, then I found it on the site.
I made mine in Photoshop from scratch, took a little time, but now I have my own item library like the one you will find at that site.

As kpel308 noticed , in designing them it pretty hard to make it flow right and have it relatively exciting. I sat there scratching my head for a little bit before I actually built it.

If you have Photoshop I can send you a JPEG file of the stuff I created for you to use as a template!!!

Marshall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top