Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2022 9:26:49 PM EDT
In town this week looking at properties in Huntsville and surrounding areas.  Trying to decide if this is an area we would like to consider.  

What are the laws concerning shooting on your own property?  Certain amount of acreage?  Out of city limits?

Arizona is great, but I miss being able to walk off my back porch in Indiana and shooting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know outside city limits is fine. I know it is here. @Bama-Shooter
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably not a problem for you, obviously nobody in their right mind is going to fire across a road, but there is this law about discharging firearms in the state law that talks about within 50 yards of a public highway or railroad

9-11-257
Section 9-11-257 Hunting or discharge of firearm from, upon, or across public
roads, etc. Any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the line
of duty or person otherwise authorized by law, who hunts or discharges any firearm
from, upon, or across any public road, public highway, or railroad, or the rights-of-way of
any public road, public highway, or railroad, or any person, except a landowner or his or
her immediate family hunting on land of the landowner, who hunts within 50 yards of a public
road, public highway, or railroad, or their rights-of-way, with a centerfire rifle, a shotgun
using slug or shot larger in diameter than manufacturer's standard designated number four
shot, or a muzzleloading rifle .40 caliber or larger in this state, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor
and, upon conviction, shall be punished for the first offense by a fine of not less than one
thousand dollars ($1,000), and shall be punished for the second and each subsequent offense
by...
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Opening day of dove season. "They are shooting machine guns everywhere!!!!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty common in unincorporated areas in Central AL.
That said I'm not a lawyer.
Getting to know your neighbors first is strongly recommended.

I have a Mennonite MG/Amish Assault Rifle, better known as the Remington 7600.  Does that count?  One of only 4 Fudd guns I have.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in the city limits of Ashville and we have a city ordinance that allows it on 2 acre or larger parcels.   I got a 435 yard range out my back door with plenty of steel and dual level shooting platform.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in the city limits of Ashville and we have a city ordinance that allows it on 2 acre or larger parcels.   I got a 435 yard range out my back door with plenty of steel and dual level shooting platform.
View Quote

Do/did you own a cannon?

My wife's family lives in Ashville and one of their neighbors used to shoot a cannon every so often.  The neighbor is a fairly active gun guy.  It's a small world, if true.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do/did you own a cannon?

My wife's family lives in Ashville and one of their neighbors used to shoot a cannon every so often.  The neighbor is a fairly active gun guy.  It's a small world, if true.
View Quote
I freaking love Alabama.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Inside city limits, look at their code. Some places allow it but with certain restrictions. Most restrict it.

ie, not within 100 yards of any building. Some places you can do dove shoots inside city limits. Approved ranges etc.

Most in the county are good to go for casual shooting. iirc to establish your own private range, ADEM says 2.5 acres. As in just you and friends shooting, not hosting classes.

View Quote

@bama-shooter

I am trying to find the ADEM 2.5 acre reference.  Do you know where I can look?  Is that all counties?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
We have shot a large BP cannon here...   I only own a Barret .50 M82 so yea I might have a small cannon..

Yea, they are probably refering to me.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We have shot a large BP cannon here...   I only own a Barret .50 M82 so yea I might have a small cannon..

https://i.imgur.com/m7o9FUt.jpg
View Quote

too cool!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a Mennonite MG/Amish Assault Rifle, better known as the Remington 7600.  Does that count?  One of only 4 Fudd guns I have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty common in unincorporated areas in Central AL.
That said I'm not a lawyer.
Getting to know your neighbors first is strongly recommended.

That statement sounds "I'm pro-2A, but..", like you might be against a neighbor popping off full auto on an adjacent tract.

I'll reserve my comments until clarified.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hello, neighbor. Also have my own backyard range south of you. Not a 435 yards, though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/m7o9FUt.jpg
View Quote

Insert "nod of respect" emoji.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Morgan county is fine as long as you’re not in any city limits, then it depends on what the city ordinance is.

I love being able to shoot on my own property… several folks that live near me enjoy it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top