Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:27:51 AM EDT
I've been looking online for places to hunt hogs, and it just kills me seeing all these outfitters charging $300-$500 a day for what is supposed to be a pest animal.

Anyone know any farmers who might like a hand with some herd thinning?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where in AL you are, but the management area of the Mobile Delta has a lot of hogs. I haven't hunted them there, but i hear about them all of the time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
All farmers have problems with hogs.  The problem is finding one that doesn't mind someone they don't know running around on their property with a gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure where in AL you are, but the management area of the Mobile Delta has a lot of hogs. I haven't hunted them there, but i hear about them all of the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
All farmers have problems with hogs.  The problem is finding one that doesn't mind someone they don't know running around on their property with a gun.

I live in the central/east part of the state, so Mobile is at least 3 hours away unfortunately.

The trust part I can definitely understand. A lot of hunters are stupid and give the rest of us bad names. There is another member here who I discussed a possible trade involving night vision and thermal equipment. Trying to find places I can put that to use. However in my exact part of the state (Goodwater area) there are no hogs. Willing to travel a bit to Montgomery and Prattville area, etc but I have no idea how to even start trying to find farmers I can talk to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not one that I know of, including us -- unless you classify "problems with hogs" as being the ones we own always trying to dismantle our fencing... with ruthless efficiency.  

There just isn't a big hog problem, save for a random pocket, in the northern half of the State.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah trying to find some south of me. I need you to stop getting winter weather storms so I can make the trip up there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
hunting is open in the Sipsey this weekend. But you will have a lot of backpackers in the woods
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

hunting is open in the Sipsey this weekend. But you will have a lot of backpackers in the woods

View Quote

More accurately:

The special hog season (only) is open right now in the Black Warrior WMA (which includes, but is not limited to, the SW) March 2-14.  All guns for deer are legal.

The bigger point is that WMA locations closer to the OP may also be open for special hog hunts.  In other words, it might pay the OP to check out his local AL WMA to see if they are having special hog hunts right now.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

More accurately:

The special hog season (only) is open right now in the Black Warrior WMA (which includes, but is not limited to, the SW) March 2-14.  All guns for deer are legal.

The bigger point is that WMA locations closer to the OP may also be open for special hog hunts.  In other words, it might pay the OP to check out his local AL WMA to see if they are having special hog hunts right now.

Good luck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More accurately:

Good luck.

thank's for fleshing that out. I"m backpacking this weekend, guess I'll pull out the orange hat

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There just isn't a big hog problem, save for a random pocket, in the northern half of the State....
View Quote

...yet.  [I hope I'm wrong but I think] They're coming soon to a farm near you.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always been here. I don't really know anyone in the community though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's the link to the UGa Feral Swine Mapping system:  http://swine.vet.uga.edu/nfsms/  For some reason, the input data is not showing up, never had that problem before.

In any event, if it starts working, it should show where feral swine are in general in your area.  I find it hard to believe that you don't have a NF near you with wild hogs.  In AL, you can hunt wild hogs 365 days per year on private and public land outside the WMAs.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I live in the central/east part of the state, so Mobile is at least 3 hours away unfortunately.

The trust part I can definitely understand. A lot of hunters are stupid and give the rest of us bad names. There is another member here who I discussed a possible trade involving night vision and thermal equipment. Trying to find places I can put that to use. However in my exact part of the state (Goodwater area) there are no hogs. Willing to travel a bit to Montgomery and Prattville area, etc but I have no idea how to even start trying to find farmers I can talk to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot me a PM, where are you near Goodwater?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's the link to the UGa Feral Swine Mapping system:  http://swine.vet.uga.edu/nfsms/  For some reason, the input data is not showing up, never had that problem before.

In any event, if it starts working, it should show where feral swine are in general in your area.  I find it hard to believe that you don't have a NF near you with wild hogs.  In AL, you can hunt wild hogs 365 days per year on private and public land outside the WMAs.

Good luck.
View Quote

Well I was looking into getting night vision or thermal, which is why I was looking for people with private land.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pm incoming
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well I was looking into getting night vision or thermal, which is why I was looking for people with private land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

In that case, you might want to check the game regulations for the state of AL because:
220-2-.02 Legal Arms, Ammunition, and Equipment for Hunting

(1) GENERAL PROHIBITIONS:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to use any method or have in their possession any weapon or ammunition contrary to this regulation while hunting or attempting to hunt game birds and animals or other species provided for herein unless expressly provided for by duly enacted laws of the State of Alabama.
[snip]
(e) It shall be unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark (night vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife, both protected or unprotected species.
And:
220-2-.07 Legal Hunting Hours for Game Animals

Legal hunting hours for all game animals during the open season for same shall be daylight hours only, except fox may be hunted at night with light and dogs only, and raccoon and opossum may be hunted under the following conditions: with the use of a light and a shotgun using No. 6 shot or smaller or a .22 caliber rimfire firearms when hunter or hunters are accompanied by dog or dogs free of leash, and if hunting on the lands of another, they must have the written permission of the landowner.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting

But after another search, I found this:

"In order for anyone to legally hunt a property at night, the landowner
must apply for a crop depredation permit with their DCNR district
office. This process used to require the landowner to show proof of
significant property damage. That is no longer the case for landowners
seeking to hunt hogs or coyotes."

From here:  http://www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=2381&cid=189

And this:

"Advanced control methods include the use of night vision, thermal imagery, helicopters, and radio telemetry equipment.  These high-cost techniques are utilized by state and federal agencies conducting hog control or eradication programs, but some landowners have realized spending a few thousand dollars for high-tech gear may be worth their added effectiveness at removing hogs from their property."

From here:  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFMQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forestry.alabama.gov%2FPublications%2FTREASURED_Forest_Magazine%2F2011%2520Fall%2FHogs%2520Gone%2520Wild.pdf&ei=4V76VI3IJ4atyQSJ1oAQ&usg=AFQjCNHNKJe05Fij3jO1g--VVf-cJSlEGg&sig2=kHe2FeN5sxhSorVzB_gUcA&bvm=bv.87611401,d.aWw&cad=rja

Hog Hunting Montgomery, AL

Alabama Hog Control provides the Montgomery, AL area with day and night
hog hunts.  We use night vision and thermal optics on DPMS AR's to
eradicate high volumes of hogs.  All hunts are safely performed with a
trained guide on the hog hunt.

- See more at: http://www.relylocal.com/montgomery-alabama/business_listings/alabama-hog-control#sthash.IbulYO5D.dpuf

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In that case, you might want to check the game regulations for the state of AL because:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to use any method or have in their possession any weapon or ammunition contrary to this regulation while hunting or attempting to hunt game birds and animals or other species provided for herein unless expressly provided for by duly enacted laws of the State of Alabama.

[snip]

(e) It shall be unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark (night vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife, both protected or unprotected species.

And:

Legal hunting hours for all game animals during the open season for same shall be daylight hours only, except fox may be hunted at night with light and dogs only, and raccoon and opossum may be hunted under the following conditions: with the use of a light and a shotgun using No. 6 shot or smaller or a .22 caliber rimfire firearms when hunter or hunters are accompanied by dog or dogs free of leash, and if hunting on the lands of another, they must have the written permission of the landowner.

"In order for anyone to legally hunt a property at night, the landowner must apply for a crop depredation permit with their DCNR district office. This process used to require the landowner to show proof of significant property damage. That is no longer the case for landowners seeking to hunt hogs or coyotes."

And this:

"Advanced control methods include the use of night vision, thermal imagery, helicopters, and radio telemetry equipment.  These high-cost techniques are utilized by state and federal agencies conducting hog control or eradication programs, but some landowners have realized spending a few thousand dollars for high-tech gear may be worth their added effectiveness at removing hogs from their property."

From here:  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFMQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forestry.alabama.gov%2FPublications%2FTREASURED_Forest_Magazine%2F2011%2520Fall%2FHogs%2520Gone%2520Wild.pdf&ei=4V76VI3IJ4atyQSJ1oAQ&usg=AFQjCNHNKJe05Fij3jO1g--VVf-cJSlEGg&sig2=kHe2FeN5sxhSorVzB_gUcA&bvm=bv.87611401,d.aWw&cad=rja

Alabama Hog Control provides the Montgomery, AL area with day and night hog hunts.  We use night vision and thermal optics on DPMS AR's to eradicate high volumes of hogs.  All hunts are safely performed with a trained guide on the hog hunt.

- See more at: http://www.relylocal.com/montgomery-alabama/business_listings/alabama-hog-control#sthash.IbulYO5D.dpuf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

[snip]

And:

"In order for anyone to legally hunt a property at night, the landowner must apply for a crop depredation permit with their DCNR district office. This process used to require the landowner to show proof of significant property damage. That is no longer the case for landowners seeking to hunt hogs or coyotes."

And this:

Alabama Hog Control provides the Montgomery, AL area with day and night hog hunts.  We use night vision and thermal optics on DPMS AR's to eradicate high volumes of hogs.  All hunts are safely performed with a trained guide on the hog hunt.

Yes I'm familiar with the regs. I was trying to find a land owner who has or will get a depredation permit. That Alabama Hog Control place and a similar outfitter in the area both charge about $500-600 a night. That's just too much for me. I'd rather buy my own thermal scope for about what 6-10 nights with one of those outfitters costs.

I have a post on this same subform about trying to get the regs changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top