Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:41 PM EDT
Well guys, I will be in Gulfport on Sunday leaving tomorrow apart of a BellSouth Convoy.  Any heads up on the conditions there?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your job title?  I retired in '02 as an ST working in a business crew doing ADSL.  

They called me 2 times for Ivan & once for this one to come back as a temp.  I'm hungry but not starving so I've declined the offer.  Too blame old to hook poles anyway  

Rick  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What's your job title?  I retired in '02 as an ST working in a business crew doing ADSL.  

They called me 2 times for Ivan & once for this one to come back as a temp.  I'm hungry but not starving so I've declined the offer.  Too blame old to hook poles anyway  

Rick  

FT, cable repair.  They are sending the STs to Metarie LA. I have 4 1/2 years in now.  Figured this would be a good way to make some quick cash.  Hook poles, who does that anymore, I have a ladder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick  

FT, cable repair.  They are sending the STs to Metarie LA. I have 4 1/2 years in now.  Figured this would be a good way to make some quick cash.  Hook poles, who does that anymore, I have a ladder.

Ladder Lineman huh?  Yeah, I became one as well, heck I even had a 32' on the truck as well as a 28'.  Dang that thing (the 32) was heavy, but everyonce in a while, the hooks still have to come out.

Y'all really going to a tent city?   If so, take all your stuff with you every day.  Yep, you about to make some serious money, probably 1500 to 2K a week?.  I made plenty off Andrew & never left N. Alabama.  We were so short on people that we went on a scheduled 10 hr day 6 days a week and mostly, it was 7 days a week 10 to 12 hrs.  Get it while you can......age creeps up on you in a hurry doing that kind of work.

OH, get chains & locks for your ladders,,,trust me on that one, even if you have to pay for them yourself.  Keep your truck locked whenever you can't see it, things will get gone.

Stay safe,,,check back in here when you can.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]

why can't I get a job making that kind of money.  I'm (almost) a college grad for crap sakes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick  

Ladder Lineman huh?  Yeah, I became one as well, heck I even had a 32' on the truck as well as a 28'.  Dang that thing (the 32) was heavy, but everyonce in a while, the hooks still have to come out.

Y'all really going to a tent city?   If so, take all your stuff with you every day.  Yep, you about to make some serious money, probably 1500 to 2K a week?.  I made plenty off Andrew & never left N. Alabama.  We were so short on people that we went on a scheduled 10 hr day 6 days a week and mostly, it was 7 days a week 10 to 12 hrs.  Get it while you can......age creeps up on you in a hurry doing that kind of work.

OH, get chains & locks for your ladders,,,trust me on that one, even if you have to pay for them yourself.  Keep your truck locked whenever you can't see it, things will get gone.

Stay safe,,,check back in here when you can.

Rick

5400 every 2 weeks if I only work 12 hours a day.  I will keep a good eye on my stuff, no prob there.  Yeap ladder lineman, and only 28 ftr too.  I will post back once we get a hotel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
why can't I get a job making that kind of money.  I'm (almost) a college grad for crap sakes.

I am a college grad son.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a college grad son.

Oh, I wasn't saying you guys weren't, I was just driveling in my own self pity.  Really I'm mostly jealous that you all get to get out and see the outdoors.  I'm stuck with prefabricated desks, walls, and building structure.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a college grad son.

Oh, I wasn't saying you guys weren't, I was just driveling in my own self pity.  Really I'm mostly jealous that you all get to get out and see the outdoors.  I'm stuck with prefabricated desks, walls, and building structure.  

I work in a center for 3 years and a month, I know what you are talking about.  5 first levels and 2 2nd levels and a 3rd level on the same floor as you sucks.  Now I see my boss once a week, and I can barely stand that.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a college grad son.

I work in a center for 3 years and a month, I know what you are talking about.  5 first levels and 2 2nd levels and a 3rd level on the same floor as you sucks.  Now I see my boss once a week, and I can barely stand that.  

5 1st levels, 2 2nd and a 3rd?  Dang, how big is that center?  When I retired our WC was located in the CO.  1 ET, 3 STs and 1 CRT.  I saw my super about once a month as HER office was about 60 miles away.  We normally met at another WC about halfway between us.  That was a nice setup.

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top