Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:09:19 PM EDT
I'm officially an Alabama resident now.  Got moved in early last week and I like it so far.  Birmingham seems like a pretty good town.  

Thanks to everyone who gave me info and advice on the area, especially BeetleBailey and the Beer Slayer.  Hopefully I'll get to meet up with some of you guys soon.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome!

Glad you made it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay away from TBS he's a weird dude.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm officially an Alabama resident now.

My condolences.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome and congratulations!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
w00t!

Lets go eat lunch or shoot.  Or both

ETA, perhaps here:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=31&t=207204

ETA:  Preliminary things that you MUST do to fully assimilate yourself into the 'Bama way of life:

1.  sights:
- Vulcan (the statue, downtown), if you want to know the history of the city
- The Galleria in Hoover, no explanation needed.  Chase with a trip to The Summit which is jsut down the road.
-  The best gun stores:  The Gun Cellar over by the Galleria, and Southeastern Guns over in Trussville, as well as JoJos gun & pawn but wait to go there with one of us
- 5 points south, downtown (where 20th St South and 11th Avenue meet)

2.  eats:
-  Johnny Rays BBQ & PIEs, seriously, don't even go if you aren't going to get one of their pies
- Hamburger Heaven & milkshakes

3.  movies, entertainment:
-  best theater, IMHO, is either The Rave in Vestavia or in Patton Creek over by the Galleria.
- when football season starts, you may already know this, but the metro area becomes either Crimson, Orange and Blue, or Green.  You'll understand more about that as time goes by.
-  The Barons, our minor league ball team, puts on a good show over at the Hoover Met stadium
- multiple concerts and shows at the BJCC, check their website

and you can finod all of these by simply doing a local search using Google's map
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everybody.  

I haven't been to any gun shops yet, only to Academy.  I need to get around to check them out and join any gun clubs if necessary.  

As for football, my boss and most of my co-workers are Bama fans, so I guess I'll go with them to avoid stirring up any trouble.    I'd like to catch a Barons game before the season ends, and also a Hoover High School game.  I've been told that their team and stadium are almost like a small college.  

ETA:  I'm off every weekend unless something weird happens, so I'll be up for any shoots I can make it to.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome aboard, check out www.foprange.com. That is where most of us shoot. Nothing long range but they don't care how fast or how much you shoot.

Feel free to IM with any questions about getting around town or if you are looking for something specific. Most of us can give you the answer or find someone who can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]

foprangeinc.com

Dangit man!  Get it right
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top