Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:17:49 AM EDT
opinions on the area, places to shoot, the usual possible relocation questions.

ETA
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll be close to Hunstville.  Huntsville is a good area.  We have a shoot in B'ham every other month or so that folks from Huntsville, GA, TN, and even SC come to enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Woodville is located between Huntsville and Scottsboro. Not a whole lot there but woods and rednecks. Definitely backwood rural. Its more of a spread out community than an actual city. Recommend you go visit there before moving. Nothing negative, just a classic southern small stop on the road that survives from employment in Huntsville. The spread from Huntsville is helping small communities like Woodville become more liveable.  No ranges that I know of there but lots of mountain country. Deer hunting is excellent. Alabama is very gun friendly. The folks there are settled, polite, and due to the lack of zoning laws can live like pigs should they choose, and some do so. There are also very nice areas. There is a strong holy roller influence in the area. Bee hive hair, no make up, ankle dresses, males can't wear shorts, no TV, ect. Also a strong strain of snake handlers that occasionally get bit. Huntsville is easily accessible from Woodville, I think about twenty miles or so. Meth labs are a problem overall in rural areas. IM me and I'll give you a phone # if youd like to talk. I've lived in this area over thirty five years.

rk
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Woodville is close to the Skyline Management Area, and has a public range which goes out to 200 yards.  A state hunting license or Management Area permit (both are $16.00) is your ticket to shoot there.  

Directions:  From Huntsville, go east on Hwy 72 through Gurley.  Turn left onto AL Hwy 65 (not I-65).  Follow that road till it deadends, then turn right.  Go up the mountain and the range is on the left before that road deadends.  You can't miss it.

I've shot there once and enjoyed my visit.  

Rick
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Woodville is located between Huntsville and Scottsboro. Not a whole lot there but woods and rednecks. Definitely backwood rural. Its more of a spread out community than an actual city. Recommend you go visit there before moving. Nothing negative, just a classic southern small stop on the road that survives from employment in Huntsville. The spread from Huntsville is helping small communities like Woodville become more liveable.  No ranges that I know of there but lots of mountain country. Deer hunting is excellent. Alabama is very gun friendly. The folks there are settled, polite, and due to the lack of zoning laws can live like pigs should they choose, and some do so. There are also very nice areas. There is a strong holy roller influence in the area. Bee hive hair, no make up, ankle dresses, males can't wear shorts, no TV, ect. Also a strong strain of snake handlers that occasionally get bit. Huntsville is easily accessible from Woodville, I think about twenty miles or so. Meth labs are a problem overall in rural areas. IM me and I'll give you a phone # if youd like to talk. I've lived in this area over thirty five years.

rk

He pretty much nailed it~

Except he missed the part about the range in the Skyline WMA.  

I know of no large industry in Woodville:  where would you be working?  Woodville is in Jackson Co., one of the lowest income and highest joblesness rates in the state (don't know the latest stats, but it is one of the poorest counties).  Not a problem if you have a good job, of course.  Nice place to live for the most part due to the availability of land and numerous hunting.  We four wheel a lot in Jackson county.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Woodville is close to Blue & Gray rifle club as well - it is located right by Guntersville Dam. It is a private club for high power shooters and has 100 and 200 yd ranges. I live in Huntsville and will probably join there so I can have a civilized place to shoot 200 yds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Woodville is close to the Skyline Management Area, and has a public range which goes out to 200 yards.  A state hunting license or Management Area permit (both are $16.00) is your ticket to shoot there.  

Directions:  From Huntsville, go east on Hwy 72 through Gurley.  Turn left onto AL Hwy 65 (not I-65).  Follow that road till it deadends, then turn right.  Go up the mountain and the range is on the left before that road deadends.  You can't miss it.

I've shot there once and enjoyed my visit.  

Rick

Skyline is very close to a duck club I used to belong to. You'll find good opportunities if you are interested in waterfowl hunting. Great fishing on Lake Guntersville as well. I've been meaning to drive over to the Blue & Grey- I usually shoot near Rock Ledge at the Marshall/Etowah line, but they only have a 100m range. Hopoe you enjoy the area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top