Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 7:48:46 AM EDT
I live in Louisiana and would like to purchase a pistol from another person that lives in Louisiana.  If the seller isn't a dealer and is selling from his personal collection, do we have to use a FFL holder to conduct the transaction?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I live in Louisiana and would like to purchase a pistol from another person that lives in Louisiana.  If the seller isn't a dealer and is selling from his personal collection, do we have to use a FFL holder to conduct the transaction?

Get a receipt of sale.  contact local Sherriffs to do transfer, it is not required but reccomended.  It also might be advisable to have them run the serial number just in case.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get a receipt of sale.  contact local Sherriffs to do transfer, it is not required but reccomended.  It also might be advisable to have them run the serial number just in case.  

Receipt - ok but I don't understand how the local sheriff does the transfer.  Since gun owners do not register with the sheriff, what do they care?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only thing this is doing is an extreme case of CYA. Only thing the sheriff deputys can do is run the numbers to make sure its not stolen.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you wanted to be safe, you could just ask to see their CCW.

I've never heard of anyone getting busted for selling a firearm here, unless they specifically knew it was to a felon and knew what they were getting into.

You could also lose the items in an unfortunate boating accident, it's happened to me several times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top