Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 6:50:55 PM EDT
Hey folks, just trying to figure out where I could ride if I bought an ATV.  It looks like state forest is out, at least judging by what I've infered from the dnr site.  I'm trying to figure out if the national forest is in or out?  

Thanks for any tips!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go to The Badlands or Haspin Acres.  Both parks are awesome!  The badlands is an old sand quarry with lots of dunes and wooded trails.  They also have Jeep trails and rock crawler only trails!  Haspin has 2 motocross tracks, a dirt dragstrip, and about 700 acres of wooded trails and hills.  The only problem is one is on one side of the state and one is on the other side!  Either one is worth the drive for a day of riding or and both offer camping.  Haspin is a little more "rowdy".  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I think there are specific HNF areas where you can ride, not sure about that, I know that it's not allowed in the area around our camp (East side of Patoka Lake, English/Paoli).

I'll do some looking and let you know if I find out anything positive.

On IN public property, I think you're generally SOL.

ETA: Try google, I found some info real quick

www.atvsource.com/trailheads/indiana.htm

www.atvaonline.com/ride.asp
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies fellas.  I had found some of those atv parks, I was really hoping to find out that the forest was OK, but I guess not.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Redbird, Haspin, Badlands all are great riding depending on what you like. There is a lot of helpful info at MTR.
Midwesttrailriders
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Haspin is good for about anything. Lots of steep technical hill climbs back in the woods. Fun to camp there as well.

I don't think the badlands would be as fun on a 4x4 quad as a sport quad or bike. Most of it is much more open than Haspin.

I've never been to Redbird before. Not sure where you are, but in Michigan there are trails in the national forest lands up there that are open to atvs. Also, there is a huge place in West Virginia near southern Ohio, but the name escapes me at the moment. I'm pretty sure it is public land. Hatfield McCoy maybe? That would be good for a longer trip, and if you are in the SE part of Indiana, not all that far.

What are you thinking about buying?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Also, there is a huge place in West Virginia near southern Ohio, but the name escapes me at the moment. I'm pretty sure it is public land. Hatfield McCoy maybe?

Yeah, it`s Hatfield McCoy. I haven`t been there yet. There is a big area in Harlan county KY that is awesome riding as well, and its FREE! Probably the best riding there is around this area, and unlike Hatfield McCoy, you can ride Harlan at night.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Dugger most of life. Moved 15 miles west three years ago. I've not been to Redbird since the .gov fucked it up but it used to be THE place to hang out on weekends during the summer. Went through a bunch of cycles, a truck or two, a Jeep, and lots of beer Damn fine times!
From what I hear now you have to pay to ride, no alcohol, stay on the trails, wear helmets and all kinds of crap. If everyone would stay away for a while, maybe .gov would get the hell out and we could have our fun in the mud back without the bullshit. Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but life is more fun when you're free! Redbird used to be where you'd go to escape life.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear ya Locobob. I have a few freinds that used to ride there before the state took over. I still ride there a lot and love the trails. I really don`t mind paying 10 bucks to ride considering some places are 20 bucks.
I used to ride Interlake every weekend til that went south too. I feel your pain!
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a great place to ride near Freetown called MotoSupreme.  It's free and not advertised anywhere.  Only about 180 acres but packed with trails and not usually very crowded as it's word of mouth only.  It is west of Freetown on 58 to 975 then about a half mile south.  Private land and owner is cool as hell.  He is always taking care of/changing trails so they are not full of ruts like Haspin.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the continued replies.  

Re: what I'm in the market for... not sure.  Actually I have a house project that's chewing up my disposable cash at the moment.  I should have the cash for a nice machine by spring time though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top