Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
i will be attending the indy 1500 show and  am wondering on the waiting peroid if any on purching a long gun from an indiana dealer as i am from illinois.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i will be attending the indy 1500 show and  am wondering on the waiting peroid if any on purching a long gun from an indiana dealer as i am from illinois.

You will need to present your valid Illinois DL and FOID card, and have a federal background check called in. If the call results in a "proceed", you can leave with the gun. However, the Feds can delay the purchase for up to 3 business days if they need more time to process the check.  Statistically, it happens in about 15% of cases, regardless of whether the buyer has anything in his background that would "raise a flag" or not.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They will tell you for sure but and correct me if im wrong someone but if you buy a long gun out of state you can walk out the door with it no waiting period.     The reason im saying this is a few weeks ago i bought a AR15 in ky  and im from indiana no wait and no problems.  I called the dealer and ask hime about this same question and he told me no problem but handguns now theres another matter.  Handguns must be shipped by the FFL dealer to the state in which you live to another FFL dealer then according to your states laws you then do the paper work and pick up the handgun there. Long guns as i have been told and have did    no problem  go for it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that you have to abide by the laws of your own state?  If IL has waiting periods, you will have to wait.  (course I'm not a dealer, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I believe that you have to abide by the laws of your own state?  If IL has waiting periods, you will have to wait.  (course I'm not a dealer, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night)

I believe you are correct, at least that's what I have always been told. (I'm not a dealer either but I work very part-time for one)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
IL has a 24 hour wait on longgun purchases.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a dealer from Lafayette that will be set up at the Indy Show.  

If we sell a long gun to anyone from a neighboring state we are required to abided by the laws of that state. (24 hr wait for IL Res)

Hand guns must be shipped to Il. FFL Dealer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top